Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Nitrous considered cheating by so many?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is Nitrous considered cheating by so many?

I figured where better then in here to ask this one. Its puzzling me somewhat. Everyone will go oh he was using nitrous thats how he won. Despite if the other was using a turbo or supercharger or big arsss hemi. I just don't understand why people consider it cheating or less of a power adder as in looked down upon for using? For example a guy with a Lexus 300 has a big single turbo on his car that makes 450RWHP. I ran him NA and he beat me by 1 car. I was like ok let me turn on my power adder. He and everyone was like no you will kill him and he should turn up the boost if you are gonna do that and he couldn't do that right now for some tuning reasons. Even some old school guys are like run big motors that nitrous stuff is for punks etc. I dont understand a mod is a mod is a mod. Then theres always the oh whatcha gonna do when your bottle runs out??? HUH! Some one help me understand this.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Why is Nitrous considered cheating by so many?

You cant understand it cause people will always say stupid **** about nitrous. Nitrous is a power adder just like a S/C or Turbo but cost wayyyyyyy less and they dont like that. I have been using Nitrous on my SS for over 2 years and man I have heard so much stupid ****. Alot of people just dont understand anything about nitrous. I have beat people so bad but they would cry about **** like "well you have NAWS and if I had NAWS it would be fair". People will always complain about who has more cubes or how much lbs of boost and nitrous you have.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jealousy and envy!, like you said, a power adder is a power adder, dont matter, just race him with your juice on and dont let anybody know!, and when your bottle runs out... tell um, fill it up, duh, lol @ "or a big *** hemi", racing is racing, you win or you loose, when someone else looses, they want to make excuses, if you loose you need to bite the bullet and say good job, well done, but those guys seem'd really about not wanting to race again!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

damn wicked SS, couldnt help but browse the "my wife mandy" section, sweet car and a sweet honey, you da mann!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Those who consider it cheating are afraid to use it due to lack of knowledge.
They also have usually been beaten down by a nitrous car....real bad!
Old 06-04-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

As said....people say it’s cheating because they lost (or would loose) against a guy using it. If they had it on their car, then nitrous would not be cheating (losers...). Nitrous is a really good way of cutting ETs down.

Now that being said....I'm not a big fan of Nitrous because it’s not always there (i.e.: the bottle runs out...). I like hp to always be there (N/A, SC, or turbo), but then again I'm not a drag racer.

If I'm at a car show, it does not interest me if a guy shows up with a stock LS1 and a 150 shot. That’s cool for him but I keep on walking to the cars that have big cubes and/or FI. It’s also not all that "cool" because it’s become the "everybody does it" mod. It seems like everyone and their mom is putting nitrous on their car (just yesterday I noticed a BMW with nitrous....).

Some day down the road I will have some nitrous on my car (after the SC), but it will most likely be a 50 or 75 shot. For me it will be used mainly to cool everything down and make up for high altitude driving (when I go cruising in the mountains and need to pass a car.....).

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yanno I have never really understood why people do that either. I see NO difference between a supercharger, turbo, nitrous or even a HIGH compression engine. Nitrous, turbos, and superchargers all do the same thing so what's the diffence? If they want to critisize you tell them to take the other lane!

Josh S.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The only way that nitrous can really be considered cheating is if you hide it. And even then things like ported heads and HIGH compression are hidden inside the motor.

You know after retyping my thoughts on this a few times it just came to me in..

"In racing there are cheaters and losers"
Old 06-05-2003, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

I don`t care what anyone thinks! I love spraying, and thats just part of racing. A true racer knows this.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

people consider it cheating, because, when people started to use it, it was for street racing, and they were not open about using the bottle.

So 2 cars race, and the one guy "who claimed he was all motor" sprays, and kicks your @$$, and takes your cash.

at least that is the best explanation i have ever heard.

Ryan.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Nitrous is not cheating! Nitrous rules and I can never get enough of it! Like 383 said, those who are against it must have beaten real bad by it.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think people that say its cheapting are just scared.. Its an easy power adder to put on.
even i fear it, cause you dont know what size shot the guy is running or how much power/fast he has.

ill probably add a small shot down the road to cool things off and have a little just incase.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow!! Good to know i'm not the only one getting all the flack for using Nitrous. My car runs ok all motor and takes care of alot of the competition, but its always nice to know I"m a bottle turn away from anihilating someone! The other one is when you dyno and hit the nitrous. The comment ALWAYS comes from atleast one person. "oh thats with nitrous though, thats not real HP". Or its for dyno queens that just want to show #'s thats it. Another best is if you lose when having nitrous. OHhhh then they're all over ya. "oh guess you're just gonna have to up your shot hahahaha". SO you do and have the guy checking taillights and turn signals and brake lights. Then you go back to the you had to use such and such to get ahead of (and this gets me) a Single turbo'd Supra. Uhhhh??? Then you have them going oh but if I used racegas blah blah blah. It never ends! It makes me want a supercharger, but i'm sure theres a bunch of comments to go with that one too.

I just really do like the nitrous idea. Easy to take off, a lil cheaper at first, still keep streetability, fuel economy, kick in the pants when it hits, ease of upping or lowering HP with the jets, and the look on the other guys face when you go ok I'll race and you hit the purge and his smile turns to a "OH FLUCK I AM GONNA GET KILLED" look is priceless!
Old 06-05-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Because back in the early 60s a few stock car racers were known to be extremely fast for short bursts when the race was on the line after the hidden bottles were found the cheater image was pretty much established.Nitrous is still cheating in that type of racing but now the racers know what to look for.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:04 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

People are stupid.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Cheating always seems to refer to getting something without putting in the effort everyone else "Has" to put in to get it. Now I agree it's stupid, but I think it's just people getting bent out of shape because we can run amazing times with less than $1000 in stuff where they were VAIN (i.e. "I want a Twin Turbo because it "LOOKS" cooler) enough to put $3,000-10,000 into theirs to do it (or maybe still can't)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just thinking about this hole cheating crap. SO one uses nitrous to win to gain the advantage over the other. Well how often do you hear the infamous "oh this car only runs 12.0's" and really runs 11.0s. FOCKERS THAT ISNT CONSIDERED CHEATING>? Saying how much boost they are running, brake boosting, suspension mods. It goes on and on!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Yep I have been getting you had to cheat using NOS to beat me for 20+ years.
I had a run with a guy in a 2800 lb 88 Coupe Stang he had a 13 to 1 347 stroker on 116 gas solid roller .670 somthing lift all the suspension mods in hell and 28x11.5 W slicks and said it was a street car! I was like what ever just line up and with my everyday driver 3600+lb car 10.37 to 1 93 octane 383 full single exhaust I busted him using the 150 first stage only.

His buddy goes "You had to use nitrous to beat our NA car!" I said hold on here about and hour I'll be right back. Went home got the 80 Malibu with the 468 BBC 11 to 1 pump gas motor 2800 lb car and went back and put 4 cars one him and said "I knew you couldn't handle my real NA car so I gave you a chance against my heavy body juice car so quit whining! hehe
Old 06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Teching In

I used juice when only about 1 in 100 street rodders used it. They were all pretty much afraid of NOS back then and still many people are it isn't usually the NOS that blows the motor its the idoit using it that causes the motor failer not knowing what they are doing with it.

The main reason I have used juice it turbos pretty much suck on carb cars and cost a fortune to put on and maintain. Both Turbos and Suprghargers today are much more effecient and better but they still hammer the motor more often than does a nitrous car. Most guys with turbos or S/Cs jump on the gas several times a day just running around yeah some NOs guys do too. But most uf us save the juice for the run when we think we actually need it. There effectively runn lower compression and less beating on the internals over the long duration.

My current 383 has 30k miles on it and I run it every weekend and drive it over 120-200 miles looking for the race on a Saturday night.
Sure I've broken parts and I constently tune it but that is what a real racer does they live in and under there cars and even then some thing break or don't always work right.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard this so many times.The thing is I love NITROUS.There is nothing like the rush nitrous gives.There is no lag,no hesitation.BOOM there it is extra horses just like that.Some people build there cars for motor,some for turbos or blowers.Me,I build it for nitrous.This isnt school.I dont have a cheat sheat taped to my buddies back.LOL This is RACING.I always thought Racing was about getting to the finish line faster.You can tell who is the real racers.They are the ones who did the research to find out the truth of the shady areas that are always misled.After theat research they will find out that the guys that blew up did something wrong(90% of the time).Its usualy the user not the kit.So if using nitrous is cheating Im a big Cheater.But go ahead and bring your all motor car with no power adder and see what this 300 to 400 shot will do.You will beacome a cheater also.LOL
Dave

Quick Reply: Why is Nitrous considered cheating by so many?