PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF or MAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF or MAP

My 03 Silverado with LS1 threw a MAF code. It runs rough occasionally at around 2200 rpm then goes away. I've replaced MAF sensors with reman and with new but still getting code. could bad map sensor cause MAF code and sluggish running
Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Which MAF code? It matters.

Pull the MAF connector and run it. If it runs better
then your MAP sensor is good and the MAF is bad.
If it doesn't run or runs terribly then the MAP might
be. Although MAP failures seem pretty uncommon
unless you have a hell of a backfire.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James Pope
My 03 Silverado with LS1 threw a MAF code. It runs rough occasionally at around 2200 rpm then goes away. I've replaced MAF sensors with reman and with new but still getting code. could bad map sensor cause MAF code and sluggish running
Plugged cat(s) is my bet. Hammer the gas from a dig and see if your RPMs climb high like they should. If it feels like it's "hitting a wall", then that is your problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 AM

No cats. Had them removed. Sometimes, when I first start it up, it idles ok but when I give it some gas it will miss and pop some but only for a few seconds. It runs fine until I get to around 2200 rpm. it's almost like a dead spot in gas pedal but it goes away at higher rpm's (doesn't always happen) and when I'm cruising at highway speeds occasionally I can feel a slight stall for maybe 1 second then back to normal. Like I've said, I have replaced MAF sensor twice so I do not believe that's the problem but the code is for MAF. Will check code again and see exactly which code and post here.

Last edited by James Pope; 01-12-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First, it matters which MAF code. There are three.
With the engine idleing wiggle the connector on the MAF, and flex the wires while watching the MAF numbers on your scan tool. If the numbers move around much (like 3 or 4 grams/sec) and/or the engine runs differently you may need to buy a MAF pig tail (new connector with a couple inches of wire) to splice into place. The GM parts dept used to sell those. Not an uncommon problem.

Don't ever buy a reman MAF!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Tried disconnecting MAF and could barely get truck started. Going to auto parts store to pull code again and get exact error and also to check for bad connection. Then will try MAP
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Put a new map sensor on this evening and took truck for short trip and all seemed fine. We will see in the morning because it would miss and pop when cold
Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 PM
9-Second Club

Hope that got it!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 AM

Drove fine this morning. No missing or popping. Woohoo
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM

It's back
Light is back on. Going to pull code tomorrow but I already know. P0171, P0174 and P0101
I've replaced MAF and MAP. I still get a hesitation occasionally. What are chances new MAF bad? This is driving me up the wall. I plan on taking a 1500 mile trip in two weeks.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM
9-Second Club

It's back
Light is back on. Going to pull code tomorrow but I already know. P0171, P0174 and P0101
I've replaced MAF and MAP. I still get a hesitation occasionally. What are chances new MAF bad? This is driving me up the wall. I plan on taking a 1500 mile trip in two weeks.
James, is it a new GM MAF? No reman crap? P0101 does not mean the MAF is bad, it is failing a test, but that could be to other problems. Your running lean for some reason. Could be the air box, or ducting which effects the MAF's output. That can cause both a P0101 and a lean condition. Could be home made or adapted inlet ducting. Heck, I see those codes and drivabilith iddues all the time with aftermarket air filters, air boxes and ducting on Vettes and trucks all the time. Too many don't understand how the air is directed through the MAF can cause low indicated air flow, thus lean codes and MAF codes.
I know you have to be getting tired of this. Hope you find it soon.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

P101: "The PCM compares the actual MAF sensor frequency signal to the predicted MAF value. This comparison will determine if the signal is stuck based on a lack of variation, or is too low or too high for a given operating condition. DTC P0101 sets if the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value."

This is not necessarily an outright fail, it can come about
from some discrepancy between speed density or alpha-N
air mass models and what the MAF reports. If (say) the
VE table is badly edited, or not edited at all but significant
airflow modes made, this code could pop with a perfectly
fine MAF (as seems to be the case here). A MAP sensor
that reads a crazy voltage could be believed and used to
set the "expectation" against which a good MAF may
fail.

P0171/0174 are bank lean codes driven from the trimming
process. The fueling cannot be enriched enough to make
sensors switch, is the thinking. But these tests can also
be spoofed by bad sensors, or too cold to function.

It seems to me that you do not have enough insight to
the real goings-on. You need to look at things like what
the real MAF output frequency is, whether it responds
to real motor airflow with increasing frequency and
sits somewhere sensible at idle and so on. You need
to look at O2 sensor voltage waveforms and see if
they are pegged low, or just struggling, or pinned to
the fault level (~450mV), or are credibly functioning
and telling you about a true lean condition. That is an
interpretation, to great extent, but critical to debugging.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM

A new pigtail solved problem. The wires going into connector were very loose.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
P101: "The PCM compares the actual MAF sensor frequency signal to the predicted MAF value. This comparison will determine if the signal is stuck based on a lack of variation, or is too low or too high for a given operating condition. DTC P0101 sets if the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value." This is not necessarily an outright fail, it can come about from some discrepancy between speed density or alpha-N air mass models and what the MAF reports. If (say) the VE table is badly edited, or not edited at all but significant airflow modes made, this code could pop with a perfectly fine MAF (as seems to be the case here). A MAP sensor that reads a crazy voltage could be believed and used to set the "expectation" against which a good MAF may fail. P0171/0174 are bank lean codes driven from the trimming process. The fueling cannot be enriched enough to make sensors switch, is the thinking. But these tests can also be spoofed by bad sensors, or too cold to function. It seems to me that you do not have enough insight to the real goings-on. You need to look at things like what the real MAF output frequency is, whether it responds to real motor airflow with increasing frequency and sits somewhere sensible at idle and so on. You need to look at O2 sensor voltage waveforms and see if they are pegged low, or just struggling, or pinned to the fault level (~450mV), or are credibly functioning and telling you about a true lean condition. That is an interpretation, to great extent, but critical to debugging.
You're right jimmy blue, I don't have the insight. Why do you think i posted here.?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
9-Second Club

A new pigtail solved problem. The wires going into connector were very loose.
Cool!

And, the VE table won't cause a P0101.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I'd be looking at lower intake plenum gaskets very common fuel trims I bet are very +++, I'd bet your light comes back on.

Quick Reply: MAF or MAP