Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I want to make an autox street car need help with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to make an autox street car need help with some questions

i want to perform in a the street prepared class, maybe.

i wanted to know how much forced induction the 2002 ws6 could handle on stock parts, manual 6. including sticky tires

so i can start a list of upgrades in order from biggest to smallest.

im not going for the meanest autox ride in the world, but 400hp/400trq to the wheels is my goal.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You could more than likely do that to the wheels with moderate engine upgrades without complicating matters with forced induction.

Also, join up on FRRAX.com, that's the autox and road racing home for the F-body.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM

thanks for the suggestion but it looks like i cant register as they are not accepting new members?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxWS6
i want to perform in a the street prepared class, maybe.

i wanted to know how much forced induction the 2002 ws6 could handle on stock parts, manual 6. including sticky tires

so i can start a list of upgrades in order from biggest to smallest.

im not going for the meanest autox ride in the world, but 400hp/400trq to the wheels is my goal.
As already said, if you are only looking for 400RWHP, FI is way overkill. Bolt ons and a cam will get you 400+RWHP, add some good heads and you'll see more. There's a few builds with 500RWHP N/A 346ci that are arguably street friendly.
Regardless if you are interested in Auto-x then adding power is the LAST place you want to start.
The stock ~300-320+RWHP is plenty, you should be focusing on suspension and brakes.
Talk to the sponsor Sam Strano on here, he had an LS1 Z28 that he competed in Fstock with and won multiple national champions with. Heres an article about him/the car:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._chevy_camaro/
Old 12-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As already said, if you are only looking for 400RWHP, FI is way overkill. Bolt ons and a cam will get you 400+RWHP, add some good heads and you'll see more. There's a few builds with 500RWHP N/A 346ci that are arguably street friendly.
Regardless if you are interested in Auto-x then adding power is the LAST place you want to start.
The stock ~300-320+RWHP is plenty, you should be focusing on suspension and brakes.
Talk to the sponsor Sam Strano on here, he had an LS1 Z28 that he competed in Fstock with and won multiple national champions with. Heres an article about him/the car:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._chevy_camaro/
oh trust me i am very well aware of many modifications to make before more power, its just my dream goal i enjoy talking about most.

but thank you for the link, its really nice to see an outline for ideas. that link alone helped me straighten out my plans a lot.

edit: i should add i used to own a 1979 firebird i would autocross. i know the magic of brake/suspension before power lol

Last edited by autoxWS6; 12-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

oh trust me i am very well aware of many modifications to make before more power, its just my dream goal i enjoy talking about most.

but thank you for the link, its really nice to see an outline for ideas. that link alone helped me straighten out my plans a lot.

edit: i should add i used to own a 1979 firebird i would autocross. i know the magic of brake/suspension before power lol
No prob. Make sure you use the search function and research as much as you can before you buy anything. There are a lot of popular suspension parts that will hurt your handling that vendors like to push.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I autoX'd for the first time this fall in my '78 TA, WS6, Pontiac 400, TH350. It did very well overall, it ran at the fast side of average, the cars that beat it were 3X the dollars and were all 2-3 year old special cars. Considering my TA is bone stock, I was very pleased. I'm running about 350hp but I've got 425ftlb tq at 1800rpm which really helped out. A lot of money only makes small increments in speed on the autox course was the lesson I learned that day.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM

wow im jelous, my firebird was a formula with the 350 i had about 300trq and 225hp. and it was an auto slap stick. i never did very well but it was fun and i just liked the experience and seeing everyones rides.

my 2nd time out i hit some gravel and my rear end spun completely around on me but some how i knew exactly how to keep the turn going and straightened out again like i did it on purpose

Quick Reply: I want to make an autox street car need help with some questions