PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my converter isnt staying locked....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Default So my converter isnt staying locked....

i played with the tcc lockup tables alittle bit and they seem alright, but it unlocks from somewhere around 35 and relocks around 40 depending on TPS obviously. i set my duty cycle max to 100 and min to 90...im not throwing and misfire codes or anything so the p0300 code fix isnt the problem atleast not yet..what could be the problem?

Also around 2900 on the log file you can see i go WOT but its weird b/c the mph increases to like 60 then falls back to 53 and then climes from there? what could that be? the only thing i can thinnk of is tire spin, and it probably caught about then.... BTW i went through and took timing out according to the spark retard histogram already. THanks in advance for any help
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
converterbase.hpt (457.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: hpl
wotverter2nddrv.hpl (312.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low level misfires may unlock the converter without
being enough to set codes. Log misfire current cylinder
and TCC Mode. You have to look at the mode real-time
on the table display, it doesn't (last I looked) plot or
export clean because it's not really a number. Look for
mode -3- which is "I was gonna, but...". If you see it
when it should be locked but isn't, you need to raise
the misfire time values in the cylinder mode tables most
likely.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

ok im goign to log those. What would be a number that i should look for? i know that everymotor misfires even when its running correctly so i was jsut wondering at what point i know that is the problem, besides the TCC mode being 3? also could adjsuting my lockup table and not my part throttle shifts affect this? i was thinking that it is possible that at a given TPS in 3rd it could lockup but then shift to 4th and 4th doesntlockup until a higher gear...i dont know if this makes sense or is even plausible but it is what my petty min thought of...
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

BTW th converter is a Yank ss3600

(for those searching)
Old 02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

update i logged it and it was having the -3- code so im going to temporarily set all values to 32767 and see if it fixes it...if so i will go back and just increase values until does same effect so the computer can still detect misfires...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

i changed the values in the medium range to 32767 and it still does the same thing. im goign to try setting every misfire table to max to see if it fixes the problem. I'm also goign to set max temp to 141 and min temp to 140. Hopefully my posts will help someone along the road as its more of a blog than a forum post considering the responses

on a side note im also having idle hunting issues at low rpms from decel

Last edited by Magnet; 02-12-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, post up your results from this experiment when done please.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

yea no problem i'm gonna be messing with it and try and fix the problems that all the people with similar converters don't have to
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

ok well i got a chance to play around with it a little bit tonight.

trial 1: set all tables to 32767 and set max and min temp to 141:140 respectively
outcome: same as before no change, so eliminate misfire as culprit.
trial 2: thought that it may be locking in 3rd then shifting to fourth and locking later in fourth so as to cause lock/unlock pattern. So set 4th gear lock/unlock to same as 3rd gear to eliminate this.
outcome: same as before no change

NOW WHAT? i don't know what the problem could be unless it has something to do with my part throttle shift since i haven't touched it yet? FEEDBACK please...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

well i went back through the sticky of lock/unlock problems and saw that they were setting max temp to 142 and min temp to 141, i wouldn't think this would make a difference so im gonna give it a try.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

well...no change with 142 and 141 max/min temps. so now im going to go back to stock TCC apply/release tables to see if even though it locks at too high of a RPM it will stay locked once locked. If this is the case then i believe that i will need to look at my part throttle shift and modify to go along with my changed TCC apply/release tables.

other things being considered: performing a case relearn to see if it can compensate for the lighter converter. Also going to command converter to lock in scanner controls and see if it stays locked. If it doesnt it may be the converter itself

I did not state before that depending on TPS the converter locks at about 30mph and unlocks around 35, then re-locks and STAYS locked at about 40. This makes me think its not misfires, but more of a shift mph/ apply mph problem.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have "coverter lock on upshift"(EFI) or "tcc lock during shift"(HPT) set to yes or true? If so, set it to no or false.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

i checked and it is disabled... but here is an update

I set everything back to stock transmission wise, and although the converter didn't lock soon enough it stayed locked as soon as it did lock. Also running the same tune i went into vcm controls and locked the converter when i felt it should be and it stayed locked no problem. So......from these findings i can conclude that A: the converter is not the problem, it stays locked when i tell it too. B: my problem very likely is that i adjusted the TCC apply/release mph's down and did not adjust the part throttle shift, and somehow it is screwing things up momentarily for 5 mph or so. Also note that it does not lock or unlock once it passes this gap. Works great on the highway.

ANYONE know how to determine part throttle shift to match TCC apply/release??
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could the TC be locking in 3rd gear unlocking as it shifts to 4th and relocking?
It is sometimes hard to tell the difference from just unlocking and relocking. If you set the lock and unlock tables for 2nd and 3rd to 256 you will know.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not to sound dumb but... how can I tell if it's locked or unlocked??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

lock and unlock is pretty obvious you can feel it happen and your rpms also decrease significantly...does your car have a converter in it or stock? b/c if it is a stock converter than you don't have anything to worry about.

as far as it locking in third, unlocking for the shift and re-locking in fourth that is exactly what i think is happening at least that is how it seems... from all my logging the converter seem to work perfectly. But how do i make it lock in third and also make the transition to 4th gear smoothly? or is this not possible and that is why a lot of people get rid of 3rd gear lock altogether?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my engine and tranny is stock - except for tuning parameters changed with my Predator... so since it's stock, I have nothing to worry about then, I guess...

thanks

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"or is this not possible and that is why a lot of people get rid of 3rd gear lock altogether?"
It's possible and it sounds as if you have it working that way. The problem is that the ratios for 3rd and 4th are fairly close. Compound that with the slippage that occurs when it unlocks to go into 4th your RPMs go up, probably above 3rd locked, with your converter. It will drive you crazy locking and unlocking constantly when driving at the selected speeds. So yes, that's why we leave 3rd unlocked.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

i see......well looks like no 3rd gear lockup for me. The car just sounds like a POS when it locks and unlocks..even my sister asked what was wrong

the thing that doesnt make sense is why i didnt feel this happen with the stock converter and why it doesnt happen when i have stock paramters....this makes me believe that tuning the part throttle shift could make it right....
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Launching!

So what did you figure out? I've got a Fuddle 3400 TC that by the sounds of what you listed I've got the same problem. My shifts from 1-2 and then from 2-3 are, depending upon throttle position, extremely firm; like the whole car lurches or I hear a loud clunk. I had it dyno'd and it would'nt stay in third for the run it kept shifting into 4th at WOT.