Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my ss goes down against a 97 lt1 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my ss goes down against a 97 lt1 z28

finally after about 1 yr of trying to lock in a street race, my friend and i did it saturday night. his lt1 z28 has stock heads, 3.73s, cam, v6 shocks and springs, moroso intake, drag lites with bf goodrich drag radials, hooker long tubes, true duals. his car put down 365rwhp and 372ft/tq. best time at the track was 12.31@ 113mph on slicks with a 1.8 60ft. i still consider him the best driver i have ever seen and we went on and did it from a 10mph roll. i have to say that i have never seen a camaro leave this hard. his front end looke like it wanted to come up off the ground. we both punched it at the same time and i spun 1st and second gear with my f**d up cooper tires before i caught. by that time he was about one car ahead of me and me trying to make up the lost time i held 3rd gear longer which made me hit my rev limiter. i went ahead and told him to just get off the highway after the 1st time we raced since i knew that i wasnt going to beat him spinning like i was. i never knew that v6 suspension would make the car hook like that. he claims his cam is a comp cam with only a 500 lift on intake and exhaust. either way i got it handed to me. i just got my crank pulley last night and i will finally finally tune in two weeks. anyways, i thought i would post one of my losses and watch out for those lt1s out there.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

i personally think the car has more than that. Most LT1 cars with LT4 heads and Hot cam are around 365-390 at the wheels. That is a . 525 525 cam. if you think that car bone stock made anywhere from 240-275 RWHP stock. now with just a cam morosa intake and im sure some exhaust and headers he picked up over 100 RWHP with stock heads. if so im gonna buy my LT1 back.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is what i was thinking. may be it is a hot cam what they have. pulleys, what else can u add to that car to make it that fast? they claim they have stock heads so what else can be done to a lt1 to put down those numbers? or perhaps they are lying about their rwhp numbers. however, i know they do run 12.3 @113mph. with a 3400lbs vehicle. he weighs about 170. how can we figure out what he has?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Honorable death. Sounds like your friend has an awesome setup. Way ta go LT1 Get some more mods and go at it again.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes he does have a strong car, but like someone else said above, i dont think he only has those mods to put down 360rwhp. so far i am thinking that it is all his driving skills. he ran a 03 cobra supercharged, pullied, headers, diablo programmer, almost a full bolt on cobra and lost by only 1/2 car. i was there and they did it 3 times. his car just leaves nasty and the cobra caught reeled him in til it was winning by half a car and they stayed like that til about 120mph. i dont think he has nos because he has popped his hood and believe me i have not found any nos. extremely strong lt1 with the best driver i have seen. he has 29 passes on slicks with 373s on stock differential. i have seen all the slips and seen 7 passes of 12.3.
in my book he is a 9 out of 10 driving wise. i am a 5 compared to his driving skills. he still has the stock t56 and has never blown a tranny or had messed up gears. he has a twin brother who also drove the car and had a best of 12.48 @112 so basically he knocks off .16 sec off his car when he drives it.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

He could have some ported LT1 heads and easily put down those numbers with a mild cam like the LT4 Hot Cam. That is probably what he meant by "stock" heads. He has "stock" ported castings with a Hot Cam or the equivalent. I know we all know stock heads means stock unported heads. Maybe he considers p&ped LT1 heads "stock". That would be my guess.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

he did mention that he had taken his stock heads and took them to a shop where they did a shitty porting job. may be a stage 1 ported heads..but would that be enough to get those numbers up that high? i know he didnt take them to no mti, or tsp since we dont have any respectable shops here in miami.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 AM
STF Veteran

He's pullin' the wool. No way an LT1 with a cam/full exhaust/CAI added 120 to the wheels. Sounds like an awesome LT1, but I'm willing to be he's got some headwork done, or maybe a little squeeze bottle. Good death.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

I would say those numbers would be iffy with a mild port job. I have an LT4 Hot Cam in my vette. I have stage III ported heads (those suckers are REALLY hogged out, bigger valves and all) by More Performance, Inc. . I also have shorty headers, catback, lid and K&N filter. Thru my A4 I have been told by Mike Osucha, and Alvin at PCMforless that 360 RWHP is typical with my setup ( have not made it to the dyno yet).

Stock, I lost to a stock C5 vette and was edged out by a stock LS1 TA. With my current setup I destroyed a bolton '02 TA at Atlanta Dragway. I would say from the looks of your death, he has a stage 2 or 3 port job on those heads.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:50 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice death Jerry.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=whitecamaross] he ran a 03 cobra supercharged, pullied, headers, diablo programmer, almost a full bolt on cobra and lost by only 1/2 car. i was there and they did it 3 times. his car just leaves nasty and the cobra caught reeled him in til it was winning by half a car and they stayed like that til about 120mph.QUOTE]

I find this VERY hard to believe.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what mods he has, just goes to show you that you should never underestimate an LT1 car. Too many people write them off for being slow. In stock form they run like a grandma with a walker, but they can be made to run quick very easily.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

no question about it. i have a question for you..do you need to have heads on a lt1 in order to put down 360rwhp?? are ported heads necessary for those numbers or can it be done with all the bolt ons other than heads?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
no question about it. i have a question for you..do you need to have heads on a lt1 in order to put down 360rwhp?? are ported heads necessary for those numbers or can it be done with all the bolt ons other than heads?
You can with all of the boltons and a pretty aggressive cam. I know a guy that put down 375 RWHP with stock heads, boltons and a CC306 cam thru a six speed. But with a cam having the mild specs you described, I doubt it.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=whitecamaross]yes he does have a strong car, but like someone else said above, i dont think he only has those mods to put down 360rwhp. so far i am thinking that it is all his driving skills. he ran a 03 cobra supercharged, pullied, headers, diablo programmer, almost a full bolt on cobra and lost by only 1/2 car. i was there and they did it 3 times. QUOTE]

I also doubt that 2. 03 cobra with pulley, headers, programmer, almost full bolt on = mid to low 11's if im not mistaken. i got my *** handed to me by an 03 cobra with similar mods. i know that my car is slower then your friends but i dont see how a bolt on cam only LT1 could keep p with a bolt on, pullied S/C Snake
Old 09-16-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats my point. i dont know how the hell that is possible and the worse is that i was there to see in person when it took place. the guy even came out and made my friend pop his hood to check for nos. nothing there. it drives me insane to see this because i know what a full bolt on 03 cobra is capable of. i saw it and i couldnt believe it. once i get my m/t dr tires and dyno tune with the asp crank pulley, i better be able to beat him or i am gonna have to make him school me in my own car.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

nice death dude......yeah that guy couldnt of only had a cam, intake, and exhaust.....you'd have beaten him if that were so.....
Old 09-16-2004, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I am calling BS on EVERYTHING you post. You say your friend beat you by like 2 cars. That means you would have only lost or at least kept up with the previous said Cobra............................................. . NOTHING you say makes sense, either in this post or the last one that you got continually owned both here and at SVTPerformance.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

whitetxmach..my d..k is soooo sored from having you riding it all weekend long man. get off it. man if you ever come to miami you would be the first mach1 and the sweetest kill of all.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
whitetxmach..my d..k is soooo sored from having you riding it all weekend long man. get off it. man if you ever come to miami
you would be the first mach1 and the sweetest kill of all.

He has a point with the 03 Cobra thing. An 03 Cobra with those mods is like 450 RWHP and even with the horsepower he claims, he would need a lot more than that (unless it was like a 0-60 and the 03 Cobra had the stock IRS). Nice death no matter what though!

-Todd