Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

noise from my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from my speakers

I have the stock monsoon unit in my car. The onlything Ive done is add an amp and a sub a year ago. Yesterday I noticed a whistling sound coming from the speakers when I rev the motor. Last week I added a factory cd changer and pulled the radio out and put it back. Ive checked the wires on the head unit and on the amp and they all look fine. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Baltimore Whore

could be a bad ground
Old 09-18-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats what I thought but I dont know where to check for the ground at
Old 09-19-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

the factory ground is WEAK..go get some 12 guage sp wire and make a new one..as short as possible
Old 09-19-2004, 04:48 AM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/215123-aftermarket-amp-whines.html
Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Losing one diode out of the rectifier pack can make
for a lot of IGN ripple. If it's a sudden thing then it
would probably be some component failure - either
the power source or the bypass caps for the amp,
etc. Might check whether the whine is there with
the amp off (if you can through-drive the speakers
that way) to narrow it down component-wise.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

well I ran around this weekend with the amp off and it still makes noise throught the factory speakers. I think its a sudden thing but then of course I never drive with the radio on and when I do its turned up enought that I can hear it over my car and road noise. I only hear it when the radio is turned down low
Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Well guys, I apologize for resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I figured better to add on to this one than make a new one about the same topic.

I've been having the same problem as the OP, except I don't have any aftermarket stereo equipment. I do however have this annoying whistling that comes through the speakers and increases with revs. It started about 3 months ago and I have been tirelessly trying to pinpoint the problem, to no avail.

Today I feel like I made some headway by figuring out the whistling is louder INSIDE the car because it comes through the speakers. I first thought it was a vacuum leak, PCV clog, etc., but I have examined everything under the hood and can't find any obvious source. Any suggestions/help are appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

quick fix.... unplug your changer (signal and power); make sure to unplug your changer signal line as close to the head unit as possible... swap your deck with a friend to see if that changes any noise issues. if not, rewire all speakers and rewire all ground/power connections. (that's six speakers the deck ground, and don't forget the changer ground)

alternative... search for near eternity until you find the short to ground or electro magnetic interference.
unplug the changer. check for engine whine (C4EW)
unplug the rear speakers... C4EW
if nothing changes, plug the rear speakers back in. now go through the rest of your speakers checking for that horrible noise.

like jimmyblue said, just keep working through each component of the system until you find your source. by the time you have gone through all the components and checked everything twice you will want to slam your head into a brick wall twice. once for all your hard work and still no avail, and another time for not doing the quick fix.

good luck and don't forget your helmet