Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

missing mid-range?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default missing mid-range?

OK, here is my setup:
alpine cda-9847 headunit
alpine SPR-17LS in the front.
alpine SPR-17LP in the sail panels
both powered by an almani ALC1180
In the trunk I have 2 jl audio 10w3-D4 subs powered by a niche audio NA1010E

And here is my problem:
It seems that i am missing a lot of midrange from my front components. If I play just the sail panel speakers, I get the full sound range, but with just the fronts there is this gaping 'hole' in the sound. I find this very annoying. I have tried playing with the filters on the amp, and tried adjusting things through the HU, but still there is this hole! Now, for the front speakers, I just tapped into the existing wire harness instead of re-running new, fatter wire like I did for all the other speakers. Also, the crossovers are in the doors, so I haven't tried adjusting anything on them yet, but from what I remember, they just allow a boost of tweeter signal level, nothing more. Would rewiring the fronts with a thicker gauge bring back the midrange? It is really wierd, because the fronts have plenty of bass and plenty of highs, it is just the mids that are missing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by 88GTA; 08-19-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am actually dealing with the same issue, Right now i have the xover set at -1.5db and its much better..where do you have the amp crossover set? and are you on all pass or high pass?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

I have the crossover that came with the speakers at the default, +1db I think? On the amp, I had the speakers set for full range, but now I am cutting out the lows under 80hz. I am gonna rewire the components this weekend and move the crossovers out of the doors and under the dash, where i can adjust them as needed. I will try -1.5db and see how that sounds...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

So, I rewired the fronts with all 16 gauge wire, moved the crossovers to the dash and turned them down to +0db (from +1db). I think turning the crossover down helped, but not so much b/c it increased the mids, it just made the tweeter/highs less bright... it'll take some time to get used to it, but so far i do think it sounds better. any other suggestions out there for missing midrange with components? would sound deadening help?

oh, i noticed when i reinstalled my speakers this time, that the plastic basket the woofers go in suck. GM only has three bolts holding them on, and they aren't evenly spaced. I could flex the basket with my hand easily, even after tightening down all the bolts. How do we fix this? is there aftermarket baskets available made of metal or stiffer plastic? would putting some deadening on the basket make it more rigid?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure polarity is correct. Sometimes a speaker can have backwards lables for polarity. It puts one in Phase, the other out of Phase and they are firing directly at each other. Cancellation would be high.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

hm, ok i will try that next, i guess. can i just switch the input wires to the crossover? or should i only switch the polarity on the woofer part?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be either one. Try the mid-range speaker 1st.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

This is a common issue about speakers and EQ/X-overs being 180 out of phase
the simple way is to un hook one speaker and see if the mids reappear then swap the leads on the uplugged spkr
more ideas if needed
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

basically what I said