Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 vs. LS1

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=ls1

Close one. I thought the LS1 pulled like 6 bus lengths up top?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol I have lost to many a LS1 but Never ever by more then 6 Bus lengths, mabey 5 but never 6.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

You gotta realize that CamaroZ28.com has alot of LT1 owners/posters. 90% of the LT1 vs LS1 threads are started by a LT1 guy with a few bolt-ons who proceeded to destroy a LS1 who had exhaust Because the LT1 can NEVA lose!

I would take any kill story over there with a grain of salt. Also it seems most drivers (LS1, LT1, Mustang, ECT) never notice the sign on thier mirrors that reads "objects in mirror are closer then they appear".

I'm betting 3 bus lengths = 3 car lengths or less 99% of the time

Watch the video in this thread (bottom of page one). This is how races actually go when bolt-on LT1's race bolt-on LS1's with similair mods

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/332891-murdered-lt1.html
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

DAMNIT!!! For some reason I can't watch these videos. I click on them and IE causes a damn error and has to close. Oh well, judging by the responses I'm sure that race was pretty ugly for the LT1 owner. Listen up LT1 owners, its time to start seriously modding our cars so that we can earn a little respect. I think I'll keep mine after it is fixed so that I can be one of the few out there that will be respected, lol. Instead of "LT1 goes down hard" or "LT1 gets walked badly", etc.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:36 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

LT1's are awesome! They are an astoundingly robust engine design. Not surprising to me at all that with a few mods they can stay RIGHT with a stock LS1! I got mad respect for the LTx series.

Brad
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

I love my car, I can't wait for h/c intake/exhaust + tune, but thats probably as far as I will go, I'm not in it to beat ls1's I just want a car that looks good and can rip most imports apart.

Oh and this is mainly because Me and My dad will be shopping for a first gen camaro to build up as a project he he he
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Why must LT1's always be put down. Considering how cheap they are, you can spend the same ammount of money on a cheap LT1 and mod the hell out of it for about the price you can find a good used LS1. I planned on doing this but then spent all my mod money on a 05 Harley Night Train. Anyway, one night I had a cocky 00 Trans Am saying how crappy the LT1 cars are. I finally got fed up and told him to race me or shut up. Well I had earlier that day put in the 150 shot and figured this would be a good time to test it. It wasn't pretty from the start. He spun, I hooked. From there it was all downhill. When we finally stopped he was all butt hurt that he got beat.

Was I cheating for using nitrous??? Who cares!!! I put a 500 dollar kit on my 6000 dollar car and beat the **** out of a 13000 dollar car. (I know he paid that much because I was thinking about buying it before I bought my Formula).

LT1 cars are seriously turning into a "best bang for your buck" car. You can find them dirt cheap and easily mod the **** out of them to make them hang with anything. Would I take a LS1 over my LT1, **** yes, I'm not stupid, but for my poor college ***, my little Formula will do me just fine. Maybe someday in the future I can find me a WS6. But until then I will be happy opening up a can on some unsuspecting LS1 owner who thinks LT1's are slow.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Why must LT1's always be put down. Considering how cheap they are, you can spend the same ammount of money on a cheap LT1 and mod the hell out of it for about the price you can find a good used LS1. I planned on doing this but then spent all my mod money on a 05 Harley Night Train. Anyway, one night I had a cocky 00 Trans Am saying how crappy the LT1 cars are. I finally got fed up and told him to race me or shut up. Well I had earlier that day put in the 150 shot and figured this would be a good time to test it. It wasn't pretty from the start. He spun, I hooked. From there it was all downhill. When we finally stopped he was all butt hurt that he got beat.

Was I cheating for using nitrous??? Who cares!!! I put a 500 dollar kit on my 6000 dollar car and beat the **** out of a 13000 dollar car. (I know he paid that much because I was thinking about buying it before I bought my Formula).

LT1 cars are seriously turning into a "best bang for your buck" car. You can find them dirt cheap and easily mod the **** out of them to make them hang with anything. Would I take a LS1 over my LT1, **** yes, I'm not stupid, but for my poor college ***, my little Formula will do me just fine. Maybe someday in the future I can find me a WS6. But until then I will be happy opening up a can on some unsuspecting LS1 owner who thinks LT1's are slow.
Exactly man, i wish everyone on LS1tech thought like you. The LT1 is an awesome motor and everyone should view it at the same level as the LS1, although the LS1 is more powerful, the LT1 isn't far back. Im planning to do buying an LT1 WS6, and then smoke some LS1''s
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

who is putting the LT1 down? no one in this thread!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Not really anyone in this thread, but people in general always dog on the LT1. I personally love the LT1 because at heart it is nothing more than a classic SBC. I mean yeah there are some big differences but bottom line, thats what it is.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like all of the LT1 love in this thread

LT1s are going the way of the fox body... Huge bang for the buck factor.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Amen preach on brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was I I put a 500 dollar kit on my 6000 dollar car and beat the **** out of a 13000 dollar car. (I know he paid that much because I was thinking about buying it before I bought my Formula).
That is ricer logic for you. The cost of the car shouldnt be considered a factor. Take stock times, and what it costs to go faster than those stock times. Use identicle mods for each motor (or identicle monetary value) and see which vehicle picks up more. The whole "I can buy a $1000 (insert car) and put $9000 into it and smoke a $10,000 (insert car)" thing is not only tired, but better suited for people driving econoboxes.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I like all of the LT1 love in this thread

LT1s are going the way of the fox body... Huge bang for the buck factor.
No problem man, im glad people are starting to see the light. The LS1 CAN lose!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Lt1 engines arepretty strong but don't say you'll get a LT1 WS6 and beat a stock LS1. My car was a stock LS1 01 SS with the SLP 325 hp option (which is just the SLP dual dual exhaust) and i raced a bolt on ( a few ) LT1 TA and took him bad, couldn't tell if he just stopped after the first buslength. But nonetheless, they are still good engines and very respectable.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Not really anyone in this thread, but people in general always dog on the LT1. I personally love the LT1 because at heart it is nothing more than a classic SBC. I mean yeah there are some big differences but bottom line, thats what it is.

I hear you man. And with any luck the new Camaro will debut in a couple years an people will be doggin on the LS1. Hell they are already, with the 03-04 Cobra's and all! I didn't mean any disprespect to you, the LT1 is one of the best engines out there. It's been tried and proven so many times over.

Brad
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
No problem man, im glad people are starting to see the light. The LS1 CAN lose!
Yes the ls1 can loose, and anyone that thinks any thing cant loose is just retarded. The LT1 is a great motor, but where it is great the LS1 is a +1. Mod for mod its going to win, but a terminator is going to win mod for mod against an LS1. Does that mean the ls1 isnt a great motor anymore? No, it just means there is a bigger dog out there that you have to work at. I've seen some LT1 bashing going on, but I've seen alot of LT1 praising going on lately as well. So im really not sure where this sudden crusade of LT1 superiority is coming from...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by titaniumSS
Lt1 engines arepretty strong but don't say you'll get a LT1 WS6 and beat a stock LS1. My car was a stock LS1 01 SS with the SLP 325 hp option (which is just the SLP dual dual exhaust) and i raced a bolt on ( a few ) LT1 TA and took him bad, couldn't tell if he just stopped after the first buslength. But nonetheless, they are still good engines and very respectable.
The reason i said that statement is because the one im looking at buying, is my friend's lt1 ws6 which ran 13.7 bone stock at the track. With a few minor bolt ons, it can easily hang or beat a stock LS1 If it was a typical low 14 second LT1, then i'd say otherwise.

Originally Posted by KCamaro
I've seen some LT1 bashing going on, but I've seen alot of LT1 praising going on lately as well. So im really not sure where this sudden crusade of LT1 superiority is coming from...
i actually dont know how this crusade started lately..
Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
The reason i said that statement is because the one im looking at buying, is my friend's lt1 ws6 which ran 13.7 bone stock at the track. With a few minor bolt ons, it can easily hang or beat a stock LS1 If it was a typical low 14 second LT1, then i'd say otherwise.

i actually dont know how this crusade started lately..
u can buy ur friends "13.7 LT1" ls1 killer.......its still an LT1...and the more money u spend, the more those freak LT1s and dog LT1s seem to blend together.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris95Z
....I'm not in it to beat ls1's I just want a car that looks good and can rip most imports apart....

**** man......you had that the moment you bought it....

but personally, i like the LT1 and LS1 equally, they're both very strong engines....i just tend to like the body style of the LS1 better personally....but after all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"