Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just Aligned and Car Still pulls right!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just Aligned and Car Still pulls right!

Hey all,
I just did the Koni/Strano suspension so I took it amongst myself to have my car aligned for the lowered suspension geometry. The shop gave me a printout of the specs that the car was left with. I cannot remember exactly what they were, but they were within the suggested specified range, which is fine since I don't plan on road racing/autoxing my car. The problem I am trying to address is the fact that no matter what, after many alignments, my carstill pulls to the right after the alignment. I told the shop that it would probably still pull even though the specs were right, but they said the problem is probably due to radial tires. Has anybody had a similar problem? The car's suspension components are definitely symmetrical, so thats ruled out. I did the panhard bar and centered that too, so thats out. I will note that my passenger front tire has more tread on it than the drivers side (particularly in the middle because it has always been properly inflated), would this change the rolling resistance of my car? I have my stock rims, maybe I'll throw em' on to see if that changes things. I need this fixed, I just dropped nearly 2 grand in my car between brakes and suspension this month, so it better drive straight! Sorry for the book, any help is welcome.

Mike
Old 07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

To check for tire pull swap tires from the left side to the right and test drive if it pulled the other way you need tires.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

your tires aren't properly inflated if it has more tread in the middle than the outside...
that means that they're underinflated.

and yes, that would change your rolling resistance, also it would change the wheel radii.
so, like Dex said, switch the tires from side to side... see if it pulls the other way.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

cross rotate the two front tires as stated above, ive done this on numerous customers cars when the alignment was dead on. also just because youre alignment is within spec. doesnt mean its right theres really a large margin to play with. if cross rotating the tires still doesnt help, have the alignment shop adjuste youre caster to have a .3 to a .5 degree lead on the right side seeing as caster pulls to the most negative side it will pull to the left which i think they should be doing anyways to make up for road crowns, but some techs dont.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Could also have a brake on the right dragging.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These cars (F-bodies) follow anything on the road and
that includes the crown slope. Does it pull on a flat
parking lot, or only on road?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
cross rotate the two front tires as stated above, ive done this on numerous customers cars when the alignment was dead on. also just because youre alignment is within spec. doesnt mean its right theres really a large margin to play with. if cross rotating the tires still doesnt help, have the alignment shop adjuste youre caster to have a .3 to a .5 degree lead on the right side seeing as caster pulls to the most negative side it will pull to the left which i think they should be doing anyways to make up for road crowns, but some techs dont.

rite on, .3 to .5 lead right should be great , may also cross the rear, is possable rear may push front one way or the other, think about a boat if you turn the back of boat the front goes tne other way
good luck, Johnny
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same thing before and when I rotated the tires it ended up pulling slightly the other direction. Definitely something with your tires and not the alignment if the specs are OK.

Quick Reply: Just Aligned and Car Still pulls right!