Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Found a "Sponsor" so to say...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found a "Sponsor" so to say...

Gents,
I have posted something similar up in the LT1 section as well, but I want to hear from some of you as well, since I know more than a few in here know quite a bit about the LT1.
I have a "sponsor" so to say. Just someone I have been friends with for a while, and just happened into a **** ton of money all the sudden. We are talking about $10 million after taxes, and he feels like sharing the wealth with me. He wants to buy me car parts for the Camaro. I went through him because he had a hook up to buy some of my exhaust parts at cost, so I went to cut him a check right after he ordered them, and he says "Merry Christmas" and tells me about the money. Next is a rear end, and I am thinking a Moser 12 bolt, since I am not going to be doing a lot of drag racing. I am thinking full suspension, brakes/rotors, blower, cam and a few other go fast goodies are in order. I want to end up somewhere around 400-450 RWHP. I know that may sound a little lofty for a LT1, but looks like I have the bank roll to do it now. I do not want to hear the whole, "put a LSX into that bad boy, **** the LT1..." I am well aware how great the LSX engines are, but I love my LT1, and I have the car. He has not mentioned anything about buying an engine, just making my car a bit nicer. What would you all do if someone told you to just start ordering parts on thier credit card? Keep in mind, in a few weeks, it will be going to CMS to get the LPP LT stainless put in, for the TD over the axel. I also have a cold air intake and a 160 thermo, strut tower brace but not much else. So I am thinking rear end, suspension, brakes/rotors, blower, big cam, and maybe some nitrous. What are you thinking? I want specifics, knowing that she is inteded to be for cruising, with the OCCASIONAL trip to the drag strip.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

I hate you......
Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

WS6_Suicide_Machine, with all due respect, be quiet.
I should have known better to post a serious question in the western members section...
Seriously, those of you with LT1s or experience with LT1s, roger up and give me some ideas.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
WS6_Suicide_Machine, with all due respect, be quiet.
I should have known better to post a serious question in the western members section...
Seriously, those of you with LT1s or experience with LT1s, roger up and give me some ideas.
Sorry, its just jealousy i suppose.

If it were me, and I had to keep the LT1, id do a forged low CC 383 with a F1 supercharger in it. You already seem to have plans for a 12 bolt. But i dont believe you mentioned if you have a 6 speed or auto.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

M6. The Moser 12 is from the research I have been doing. I think much more than that would be over kill for what I am going to be doing. I really want the blower and the cam, and the cam is a must if I am going to reach my goal. Not sure what else I need to add to the parts list with those two goodies in there complicating things. I am thinking with the blower that I will need to add a better fuel pump, maybe a double one. I am really a novice when it comes to things like cams and blowers, I had just started researching suspension things when he sprung this gem on my lap...
WS6_Suicide, do you like the sig?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

M6. The Moser 12 is from the research I have been doing. I think much more than that would be over kill for what I am going to be doing. I really want the blower and the cam, and the cam is a must if I am going to reach my goal. Not sure what else I need to add to the parts list with those two goodies in there complicating things. I am thinking with the blower that I will need to add a better fuel pump, maybe a double one. I am really a novice when it comes to things like cams and blowers, I had just started researching suspension things when he sprung this gem on my lap...
WS6_Suicide, do you like the sig?
Love the sig.

Either way its not cheap to get 400-450rwhp out of an LT1. But thats not the reason i wanna get rid of mine. With what your talking about i don't see why somewhere near 500rwhp is out of the question. I dont think you'll need a dual Fuel pump, But you will need to upgrade the system.

I myself and not a fan of Turbos/superchargers. Due to the space they take up, and the tuning necessary to get them right.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine
Love the sig.

Either way its not cheap to get 400-450rwhp out of an LT1. But thats not the reason i wanna get rid of mine. With what your talking about i don't see why somewhere near 500rwhp is out of the question. I dont think you'll need a dual Fuel pump, But you will need to upgrade the system.

I myself and not a fan of Turbos/superchargers. Due to the space they take up, and the tuning necessary to get them right.

wrong! 96capricemgr has about 470rwhp just by a head and cam package along with the bolt ons. and that head and cam cost about 2-3 grand.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
wrong! 96capricemgr has about 470rwhp just by a head and cam package along with the bolt ons. and that head and cam cost about 2-3 grand.
how is anything i said wrong?

AND WHY THE **** ARNT YOU ON YOUR WAY TO IRVINE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

well, he might not be on his way because he is afraid of seeing you... ha.

As for the blower... what am I looking at to get the space I need in there? I might lose the idea of a blower if I have to take the AC out of it, it is supposed to be a weekend cruiser, and if there is no AC, it kind of loses the impact of being a cruiser.

I was thinking of hiding the nitrous bottle in the spare tire cubby hole...
Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

blower/big cam/spray don't mix. If you want a blower, then get a blower cam. If you want a big cam, get the big cam and spray it.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Its not a good idea to put a supercharger on a stock lt1. Compression is too high. You'd want to build a bottom end for a supercharger, with lower compression and some forged pistons at least.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

what else do I have to build up the bottom end besides the pistons? I am kind of a newb when it comes to blowers and the like. I haven't researched them much, I just started doing that today.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

what else do I have to build up the bottom end besides the pistons? I am kind of a newb when it comes to blowers and the like. I haven't researched them much, I just started doing that today.
Well im pretty sure the stock crank can handle what your putting out. Pistons, rods, rings, bearings.

If you got the money, just send the car to a shop and tell them what you want it to do. Doesn't get much simpler than that man.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

crank,rods etc.

and off topic....damn 10 million?! **** if i had that type of money id buy my freind a brand new zr1 and a house....maybe im just a "true homie" tho
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine
Well im pretty sure the stock crank can handle what your putting out. Pistons, rods, rings, bearings.

If you got the money, just send the car to a shop and tell them what you want it to do. Doesn't get much simpler than that man.
+10000

just drop the car off at a good shop and tell them "i want xxx amount of horsepower out of this thing,money is no object. make it happen,thanx"
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

for the power levels you desire, you dont need a big cam with the blower, stock cam will work fine...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

well, don't I have to change out the cam to deal with the blower? I thought that would just cause big problems with a blower and a stock cam?

I would rather do the work myself and with my buddies, because I really want to learn to work on cars. The whole point of buying this car was to learn to work on cars and have fun with it. That is why I don't want to turn her into a 500+ HP monster, I want to still drive her and not have to fix the thing just about everytime, or blow the engine because I am driving her so much.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking at a blower/turbo, and needing to upgrade all those bottom end parts along with forged rotating assembly... you might as well just pick up a short block... so that would more or less mean putting a new engine in your car... which is what you said you didn't want to do so...

a good cam and heads is your basis for a strong running engine... those can be had without upgrading all the other components...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to still drive her and not have to fix the thing just about everytime, or blow the engine because I am driving her so much.
i safe/conservative tune a little on the rich side is your friend
Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

ok, I was already thinking about having Ryne at CMS do the tune, so I am not worried about the quality of the tune, it will be fine.

Question I do have though is if I put the blower, cam and heads in there, with my current goals in mind, will I shorten the life of my engine if I leave the other stuff stock?

Quick Reply: Found a "Sponsor" so to say...