Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ws6store short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ws6store short shifter

got mine in the mail today, ran out to the car, pulled the center console, and installed it.....I love it, i just have to flick my wrist to shift! I recently did the drill mod too, so im very happy with how the car is shifting right now.

oh i was talking to the previous owner today and he told me it had a hurst shifter in it, and i said a stock hurst? and he said no, its aftermarket from summet, so i found out i had an aftermarket shifter too

the short shifter takes it from 8.5 down to 6" and is only $24
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stick. We had one on a stock hurst in our 02 WS.6 (Sold).
Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one too on my stock hurst and love it. My hydraulics are stock too with no drill mod. I have a bad *** clutch though(southbend) and I'm loving my setup. Next time I pull the master again maybe I'll do the drill mod,,, again lol or swap lines since I still have my old drilled line. I think it may improve things slightly.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put one in the same day as a hurst pro billet, but noticed the threads on the short stick are not the same as the stocker or the hurst pro.......anybody else have that issue, i'd like to put it back on one day its been months
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

simple bolt on for me
Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine a lot. The only thing I don't recommend is loctiting the **** on there, I did that since it kept coming loose and now I can't get it off.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone looked at the Short shifter that neweraperformanceparts.com has to offer? I think they are still a sponser of this site. I know they guy that makes them and they are very high quality product. It is weighted to help the shift throw along with being stainless so there is never any worry about rust. Oh and they have a slight bend to them which makes for optimal positioning.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lou's shortshift here.

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/lousshortstick.html

Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

when i had the 6 speed, i also had a ws6store short stick. No way ide pay what they want for a lou's stick.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You get what you pay for.

The position, fit and finish are really nice on the Lou's.

As crossroads stated , ...

" i put one in the same day as a hurst pro billet, but noticed the threads on the short stick are not the same as the stocker or the hurst pro.......anybody else have that issue, i'd like to put it back on one day its been months. "

Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bearcatt
You get what you pay for.

The position, fit and finish are really nice on the Lou's.

As crossroads stated , ...

" i put one in the same day as a hurst pro billet, but noticed the threads on the short stick are not the same as the stocker or the hurst pro.......anybody else have that issue, i'd like to put it back on one day its been months. "

yea, crossroads should've known better that the hurst pro billet is not the same as a stock hurst.

Also, I did get what I payed for... Other Fbody drivers have sat in my car and shifted and said its the best shifting car they've ever been in.

btw, I spent about $25 and got a shift stick and had enough for almost a full tank of gas.

my positioning and so on is perfect for me. I've been in a lous short stick car and it wasn't much difference besides the stick leaning toward you which perhaps could be nice, but its not worth $25 more dollars.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good I'm glad you and others here enjoy your WS6 short stick.

My main concern with the WS6 is the way it mounts through the shift base instead of to the existing threads like the Lou's. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1176

I really like the angle the Lou's SS is at.

I've read about some guys doing what they call "the sledge hammer mod"
( seriously ) on thier WS6 sticks. This gives it the angle you want.

I've spent so much money on my car and still spending, I figure what's another $25.00 to have what I want.
( not that money grows on trees. )

With all the above said, I wasn't trying to be a argumentative, I'm just happy with my choice. For that matter I buy tons of stuff from Mike at the WS6store. They almost always have everything in stock and are very reliable.

Last edited by bearcatt; 06-15-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I forgot to mention I spent another $40 on a white hurst shift **** and I think that was the icing on the cake.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I forgot to mention I spent another $40 on a white hurst shift **** and I think that was the icing on the cake.
Like this one ?
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/hur...ifterknob.html

I have the black one and I love it.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/hurst-shift-knob1.html

Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

yup, and if you ask me why I got the white one and do not have any white in my car... I have no clue. I just wanted to offset and upset the balance as usual
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about the white one but I was thinking it might get dirty over time.
( probably cleans up real easy ).

The white is more traditional and I would have bought that if the black wasn't available.

I'm really happy with the way the it feels and promotes good action.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bearcatt
I thought about the white one but I was thinking it might get dirty over time.
( probably cleans up real easy ).

The white is more traditional and I would have bought that if the black wasn't available.

I'm really happy with the way the it feels and promotes good action.

The white only gets dirty when I have greasy hands from working on my car, but otherwise it never gets dirty. All I need to clean it is a dry towel or piece of paper towel.

One thing we've def got in common is a solid feeling shifter
Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

The white only gets dirty when I have greasy hands from working on my car, but otherwise it never gets dirty. All I need to clean it is a dry towel or piece of paper towel.

One thing we've def got in common is a solid feeling shifter

You can't go wrong with either of those Hurst shift *****.

I just noticed you have a Southbend clutch. Those are one of the best.
A member on here is turbocharged @ 600rwhp and a Southbend stage II.
His clutch holds the power and also has stock manners, not like an on/off switch.

I considered the Southbend but decided on the LS7 clutch kit.
I'm happy with it.

If you think you will be amazed at the drill mod... The Tick m/c is really amazing but they go for about $300 bucks.

I'm really happy with my drivetrain setup.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running a stage III lol Wanted to make SURE... to not have any problems and I don't. The only times my shift quality suffers is when my clutch fluid is dirty.

I tried a mcleod adjustable before and had many problems due to the clutch fluid heating up. I figured out it was because of my headers and the mc was metal.

I was interested in the tick piece and asked them many detailed questions about it and they coped and attitude with me thinking I was downplaying their product. I asked them what made theirs better than the mcleod and they got pissed.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both metal and I don't have a good enough reason to believe it would do better than the mcleod or stocker.

My stock one is doing great with my setup as of now. Its plastic and way better than most people give it credit for.

I really try not to be the band wagon type because lots of times there's this big group of people who will always believe in anything as long as its new and I'm not one of those people. Remember those textralia clutches? Well everybody was acting like they're blameless and now all kinds of people are having issues out of them. Lots of people were the same way about the ls7 clutch too, but after my experiences with two ls6 clutches I figures it may not be that much better. I decided to give "little known" southbend a chance and let me tell you, their customer service was WAY more helpful AND professional than textralias.

So I'm actually happy with stock hydraulics. How about that? lol

I learned they fail mainly due to too much heat. Excessive heat can come from a few reasons. My situations were the headers heating up the the mcleod mc first. Also it was under clutching my car and during power shifts the clutch was slipping way too much and ended up popping several slave cylinders.

So again, I've got a bad *** clutch and stock hydraulics and I'm happy with it.

That's my path and learning history with this stuff lol
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, crossroads should've known better that the hurst pro billet is not the same as a stock hurst.
I m not sure if you were understanding my post. The issue is with the threads on the short stick, and the threads on the shift ****...as posted on the ws6store states its threads are compatible with hurst ***** & stock ****, i have both and tried them both yet it seems the short stick is coarse thread and the **** is fine thread.... im not bashing the ws6store, i order from them often.

Quick Reply: ws6store short shifter