Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

How do you classifed a street car that race on the street ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you classifed a street car that race on the street ?

how do you classifed a STREET CAR? what does it NEED or HAVE to race on the STREET so PEOPLE WON'T CRY??????????????? PUMP GAS,CAN DRIVE IT WHERE YOU CAN (WHO EVER RACING) DOES MOTOR SIZE MATTER ? NITROUS,TURBO, SUPERCHARGER I would like everyone IMPUT?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

A street car in my book should be street legal, have plates and brake tag. I aint talking about not having limo tint either. In my book, a/c, power steering and all stock options should still be there, if it came with power windows and power locks, they should still be there, they dont have to be i guess but i think so. Should have full interior, not gutted.

Biggest thing of all, a street car should be able to drive for like an hour in regular conditions, I dont mean rush hour traffic, just regular driving. Dont pull with your car on a trailer saying **** how its a street car but the drive was too long to drive it to the race.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Yep he nailed it, & it should be able to race on drag radials, not slicks or E.T. streets.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Street racing is a young mans game...when ya get older and smarter you give it up before you get hurt or hurt somebody ... We never had any rules .... it was run what ya brung and hope ya brought enough ... that was the name of the game...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when i get my ta done its stil going to be a street car in my opinion. vrx5 cam,full bolt ons,150 shot,!back seat,!insulation under carpet,!ac,!back four speakers,!spare tire with two kirky seats up front.I say as long as its registered,insurance,all functioning lights then its a street car.if the people are crying then they obviously already know who has the faster car

edit:my cars is also staying on the zr1s with a 275/40/17 MT e.t street radial out back
Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well around here people dont think its a "street" car unless it runs in the 13.s. I see a street car being a car that can be driven to the race rather it be a 5 minute ride or a 2 hour ride. Must have plates and inspection. There are some fast street cars around here but no one wants to race them cause the are fast. I now have a mustang thats pretty quick and its a daily driver but people still say its not a street car because its on DRs and the horn dont work. Its a full weight car on 16 inch wheels with m/ts on the rear and upgraded suspension and drag bags. My car is a street car and its far from a race car IMO.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I have to agree with u Shane...
BTW DRs are street legal... So I would think they count.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

If it's registered, licensed, and insured, it's a street car imo. Run what you brung.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Auto Zone Slimm
Yep he nailed it, & it should be able to race on drag radials, not slicks or E.T. streets.
drag radials and et streets are both approved by the D.O.T so et streets are just as much of a street tire as a drag radial.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea but when it comes to a close race people tend to start throwing stuff up if there is a chance they will lose. Im talking about most of the people around here not everyone so dont take that the wrong way. I race for fun, win or lose ill always come back to do it again. I want to beat the faster cars for the fact it will not be out powering someone but out driving them. We went out sunday to do some racing because i ran a friend saturday and got skull drug because i didnt know how to launch the car. So i told him we would set it up for the next weekend and ill have some seat time. Well my car run mid to low 12s on motor with the old owner and the car i went to run sunday was a low 12 second car so i wasnt looking to win. Just wanted some seat time and get a good feel of the car. Before we were going to race i wanted to see if i could get the car to leave and it did so i come back to pic up a friend and he wanted me to launch it with him in the car. Well i launched the car and it never spun a tire but when it hit third the trans blew to pieces and now im on the hunt for a new trans. Im looking at one and waiting for the guy to call back so come this weekend if i get the car back together i will run both cars again win or lose. Sorry for such a long post but it just goes to show how people are all different and have different looks as to racing.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it has a plate and insurance and u have the ***** to drive it on he street, then its a street car!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 290 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
If it's registered, licensed, and insured, it's a street car imo. Run what you brung.
Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
if it has a plate and insurance and u have the ***** to drive it on he street, then its a street car!
Agreed.

I'll drive mine an hour or two.. I have no AC and I'll sweat my *** off if I'm sitting in traffic, but the Car will drive fine, get 26mpg highway, and get to where I need to go.

I still have the Radio and Cruise too..got to have them. I'm just bringing a big motor to have fun with, that's all.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

It depends on what u mean by street legal? Most of us are not street legal. If you do not have Cats. u are not street legal. In California none of us would pass inspections, not even in New Orleans for that matter. So don't worry about what the next man have, either race in your class or RUN WHAT U BRUNG. Me and a couple of my dogs from work (Key4) from this site, went to Memphis Motorsport Park about 76 mi. from where we stay. About 30 mins. before the track closed Key4 broke his ring gear dumping the clutch at about 5 grand. We sat outside the track 2 hours after Midnight Madness was over waiting on a tow truck. So if you have a trailer you better use it. because if you break at the spot and THEM PEOPLE come before you can get your car out that area. USE YOUR IMAGINATION!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by R W B
A street car in my book should be street legal, have plates and brake tag. I aint talking about not having limo tint either. In my book, a/c, power steering and all stock options should still be there, if it came with power windows and power locks, they should still be there, they dont have to be i guess but i think so. Should have full interior, not gutted.

Biggest thing of all, a street car should be able to drive for like an hour in regular conditions, I dont mean rush hour traffic, just regular driving. Dont pull with your car on a trailer saying **** how its a street car but the drive was too long to drive it to the race.
I agree with being able to drive under normal driving conditions. but, you don't need back seats or A/C to pass inspections. If he drives on 93 pump gas and can get on I-10 or 6-10 that should be good enough. At the LSX Shootout a 30 mile cruise is the travel time that is required to be considered street legal. A trailer just mean that i know how im going to get my ride home if it breaks (FOR SOME FOLKS). Hotrod knows what im talking about, i heard thats the reason why he trailer his car around.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I think you are good as long as you got all your paper work insurance, inspection sticker, plate and also no fuel cell
Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

I guess it depends on who's making the rules.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by yarrie
I agree with being able to drive under normal driving conditions. but, you don't need back seats or A/C to pass inspections. If he drives on 93 pump gas and can get on I-10 or 6-10 that should be good enough. At the LSX Shootout a 30 mile cruise is the travel time that is required to be considered street legal. A trailer just mean that i know how im going to get my ride home if it breaks (FOR SOME FOLKS). Hotrod knows what im talking about, i heard thats the reason why he trailer his car around.
You dont need a/c or back seat for inspections, your right, I just meant dont take them out to save weight only. Also, yea, I do know that some guys do bring a trailer incase they break down but do like this guy I met in Tampa, have your boy drive your truck pulling the empty trailer and you drive your car to the race. This guy did that so no one would say **** about his car being a trailer queen and not a street car but incase he broke, he new he had a way back home.

As far as tires go, anything thats DOT approved is ok IMO.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badgoat04
I think you are good as long as you got all your paper work insurance, inspection sticker, plate and also no fuel cell
I would have to disagree about a fuel cell. Taylor with the 69 camaro has a cell but its more street car than most without one on the streets here. Hell i could keep my stock tank and run 116 oct as where he opted to buy a cell.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yarrie
Yarrie were you out there Sunday when I came out with no trailer drove around all night following the race crowd and cracking down on that ***** all night long on 93 Octane on a nitrous tune with no bottle, there were plenty of people who saw a true quick street car in motion all sunday night . It was a pretty fun night I asked the two Guys that I played with on I-10 to let everyone know how my street car rides on I-10 and doesn't need a trailer. I let 1 think he did something on Paris and took him on I-10 cracked off at about 20 three times and oooooooooowwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeee reality set in real hard.(BLACK ZO6 VETTE you know who you are.)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FMS_FTW
drag radials and et streets are both approved by the D.O.T so et streets are just as much of a street tire as a drag radial.
Yeah 2 only!!!!!