Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?

my shock sensor sucks. i read it could have moisture in it, so i took it out and let it sit for like a week opened. it did not have moisture in it, but i plugged it back in and it worked for about a week until it started going off all the time again. so i just unplugged it. but i was thinking...what the heck is the real point of it?

i mean if your alarm system is set to go off when the doors open anyway, who the heck is going to be able to steal your stuff without opening the door? i understand if someone breaks a window then the shock sensor will go off, but if they aren't opening your door also they are probably just grabbing something that is sitting in your front seat. that will take them all of 5 seconds to grab and i doubt they care your alarm is going off. otherwise, if they want a system or something in your car, they are probably going to smash the window and then open the door, resulting in the alarm going off.

i just don't see a point in the shock sensor i guess unless you chronically leave valuable **** in your front seat where someone could reach in and grab without opening the door. and even then i question the usefulness of the alarm going off, since it takes 2 seconds to smash and grab and run. i don't see how a burglar will care about setting off an alarm if they aren't going to be there for more than 10 seconds. anyone agree with me?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

did you know you can adjust the shock sensor sensitivity?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Vehicle and Content
Theft-DeterrenUAlarm System
(If Equipped)
If your vehicle has this option, it has a theft-deterrent
alarm system. Once armed, the system will soundth e
horn and flash the parking lamps if the vehicle is
broken into.
Shock Sensor
Coupe Convertible
The shock sensor is what triggers the alarm when it
detects a blow to your vehicle. It is located over the
right rear wheelhouse near the spareti re in the hatch
area. There are two levels of alarms via the shock
sensor: Two hornb lasts and parking lamp flashes for
non-threatening blows to the vehicle and a full
two-minute alarm for harder blows to the vehicle.
Its sensitivity can be adjusted if more oler ss sensitivity
is desired. (Note: If sensitivity is increased too much,
it may give false alarms caused by gustso f wind or
other natural events that may shake the vehicle.)
To adjust, remove the label covering the adjustment
**** and adjust as desired. Turn to the right
(clockwise) to increase sensitivity and turnt o the left
(counterclockwise) to decrease sensitivity. The shock
sensor is ignored by the alarm system when the ignition
is on, when the hatch is open, when the alarm is
disarmed, when customized to be ignored and for
five seconds after the horn sounds an alarm or chirp.
The shock sensor is ignoreda fter triggering three full
alarms until the systemi s rearmed.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

you clearly didn't read my thread.

1. my sensor is dead. sensitivity means nothing, it doesn't work.
2. even if i could adjust the sensitivity, that's not the point of my question.
3. thanks, i clearly understand what the owner's manual says is the point of the sensor.
4. please re-read my thread.

"if your alarm system is set to go off when the doors open anyway, who the heck is going to be able to steal your stuff without opening the door? i understand if someone breaks a window then the shock sensor will go off, but if they aren't opening your door also they are probably just grabbing something that is sitting in your front seat. that will take them all of 5 seconds to grab and i doubt they care your alarm is going off. otherwise, if they want a system or something in your car, they are probably going to smash the window and then open the door, resulting in the alarm going off."

so then again i ask, what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If some one tries to steal your car, or does a hit-n-run in a parking lot, it is supposed to go off in that case to draw attention.

Mine didn't go off apparently when someone hit my car though
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If some one tries to steal your car, or does a hit-n-run in a parking lot, it is supposed to go off in that case to draw attention.

Mine didn't go off apparently when someone hit my car though
i still don't see how the stealing the car thing would work unless they didn't open your door. but really how many crooks would break a window and know to crawl through it and not just open the door?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

like he said - hit and run. wouldn't you want to be alerted if somebody plowed in to your car?

you said your problem is that it randomly goes off. that could be because its sensitivity is too high. it can also be disabled, if it just randomly goes off.

I won't try to help you anymore.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea basicaly its a system to alert you that you car just took somekind of insane amount of vibration to it. AKA Kit and Run, or some punk as kids trying to **** with your car. The rear shock sensor is there for that reason. there is also one in the TTops tbar, so that ******* can bust a ttop and crawl in your car.

woudl you A1
. rather walk out to your car one day and the ttop be busted and a bunch of **** in your car from some vandals?
or A2. walk out to your car and see a huge *** dent cuz some ****** ran into you in the middle of the night

or normal people:
b1. vandals break ttop/window and alarm goes off, sending them in a panicked run to saftey?
b2. someone hits your car and either a actualy stops cuz the alarm is goign off, or someone else notices, or hell even you notice the alarm going off?.

Not to mention i think if someone jacks up your car to steel your rims it will go off too.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i still don't see how the stealing the car thing would work unless they didn't open your door. but really how many crooks would break a window and know to crawl through it and not just open the door?
Towtruck. Don't need to open the door to lift it up by the wheels and drag it away.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know mine lets me know when I set it off washing the car.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
I know mine lets me know when I set it off washing the car.
quit hitting it with the waterhose then
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws666
yea basicaly its a system to alert you that you car just took somekind of insane amount of vibration to it. AKA Kit and Run, or some punk as kids trying to **** with your car. The rear shock sensor is there for that reason. there is also one in the TTops tbar, so that ******* can bust a ttop and crawl in your car.
No, there is only one shock sensor in the right quarter on the factory alarm system. There is no sensor in the t-top bar.

Originally Posted by 02ws666
Not to mention i think if someone jacks up your car to steel your rims it will go off too.
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Towtruck. Don't need to open the door to lift it up by the wheels and drag it away.
Unfortunately, it's a shock sensor not a motion sensor. Jacking up the car or towing it normally won't cause the shock sensor to react unless the sensitivity is adjusted too high (enough to cause strong wind or passing cars to set it off) or they are unusually clumsy jacking it up.

You can add other types of sensors such as motion detectors or perimeter sensors to the factory alarm either in addition to or in place of the factory shock sensor. It is basically the same as a DEI sensor except that two of the wires are reversed.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-19-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can add other types of sensors such as motion detectors or perimiter sensors to the factory alarm either in addition to or in place of the factory shock sensor. It is basically the same as a DEI sensor except that two of the wires are reversed.
do you have an example of these that we could use?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The DEI perimeter sensor is part number 508D available for about $40 online.

The best place to mount it is under the console on top of the airbag controller - that gives you full coverage for the interior except for the hatch area. You can adjust the sensitivity so that it gives a warn-away signal about six inches outside the doors and full alarm for anything inside the car.

There are four wires on the sensors. You can patch them into the corresponding wires at the shock sensor or at the BCM. The power and ground match up with factory wiring (well, almost... black to black and red to orange) but the other two wires must be reversed or you'll have warn-away and full alarm signals backwards. So connect the blue sensor wire to the factory green wire and the green sensor wire to the factory blue wire.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-19-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The DEI perimeter sensor is part number 508D available for about $40 online.

The best place to mount it is under the console on top of the airbag controller - that gives you full coverage for the interior except for the hatch area. You can adjust the sensitivity so that it gives a warn-away signal about six inches outside the doors and full alarm for anything inside the car.

There are four wires on the sensors. You can patch them into the corresponding wires at the shock sensor or at the BCM. The power and ground match up with factory wiring (well, almost... black to black and red to orange) but the other two wires must be reversed or you'll have warn-away and full alarm signals backwards. So connect the blue sensor wire to the factory green wire and the green sensor wire to the factory blue wire.
what if you have more stuff in your trunk though, do you think it's more helpful to put it back there? then again i guess to get to the trunk you either have to shatter the back window or go in through the front or pry the hatch open, all of which will set the alarm off also.

would you just use double-sided tape on the airbag module? what about just putting it under the radio? really as long as you can cover any area that they can reach from the window or door opened, it wouldn't matter where it goes specifically.

can you buy anything else that works with our alarm system, maybe a remote that lets you know it's going off? i mean my sensor is shot so if i wanted to replace it, why not get the radar sensor? that's such a better idea. i'm not a fan of the 6" perimeter thing. if someone walks by your car and the perimeter sensor sets off an alarm, it's obvious you have something in your car and i think it makes you more of a target. they'll just wait till no one is around to break in. i'd rather it be there in case they break in and the noise catches them off-guard and they run.

i think the basic jist of this thread is that the stock shock sensor basically does nothing all that useful.

Last edited by tuffluck; 05-19-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

lemme for just a moment and ask the stupid question. my 02 z28 has a factory alarm? i noticed a red blinky light on the dash, but i just assumed it was for the radio or something. how do i arm this alarm? thanks.

ben
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Use the remote to lock your doors (or use the power locks button to lock the doors). Alarm arms automatically. Disarm by unlocking the doors with the remote. Don't use the key to unlock and open the door if the alarm is armed, unless you want it to go off
Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Launching!

thank you. learn something new everyday.

ben
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The factory alarm system is programmable. Here is a copy of the programming instructions from your owner's manual:

PROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ALARM

ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE
To program features, the car must be in programming mode.

1) Turn key to RUN position.
2) Turn key to OFF position.
3) Remove the RADIO fuse in the main fuse panel.
4) Turn the key to ACC

You should hear a chime to verify that the system is in the programming mode:
1 chime means you can program Exit Lighting, Delayed Illumination, Last Door Closed Locking and Lock Out (Keyless Entry System).
2 chimes means your car is equipped with Content Theft-Deterrent System so you can also program Remote Keyless Entry Verification, Arming Method, Arming Verification, Driver's Door Delay and Shock Sensor Enable.

EXIT LIGHTING & ILLUMINATION

With exit lighting, your interior lamps will come on for up to 25 sec. when the key is removed.
With Delay Illumination, your interior lamps will come on and stay on for up to 25 sec. when entering the car and up to 5 sec. when leaving the car.
To change the factory setting...
1) Turn the courtesy lamps on by turning the instrument panel brightness control **** all the way up.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Turn the courtesy lamp switch off.
4) Turn the switch on and off until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off.
MODE 2 Delayed Illumination Only.
MODE 3 Exit Lighting Only.
MODE 4 Both On.

LAST DOOR LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION

To change the setting...
1) Press the LOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Press the LOCK switch on the door until you hear the number of chimes for the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off (Door will lock and unlock when you press the door lock switch)
MODE 2 Lockout Prevention Only (If you leave your keys in the ign. and leave thru the driver's door, you won't be able to lock the doors with the power door lock switch.)
MODE 3 Last Door Closed Only. (If the power door lock switch is used to lock the car while any door is open, you will hear 3 chimes. The doors will not lock until all the doors are closed.)
MODE 4 Both On. (This combines Mode 2 and 3.)

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY VERIFICATION

To change this setting...
1) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. This tells you which mode you're in.
3) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want.

MODE 1 All Off. (The head lights will not flash and the horn will not sound)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (Your horn will sound and your parking lights will flash when you press the LOCK button on the transmitter. Only the parking lamps will flash when you press UNLOCK)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps (Your horn will sound and the parking lamps will flash every time you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 4 Lamps (The parking lamps will flash when you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 5 Lamps/Horn and Lamps (Lamps will flash on the first press on LOCK, your lamps will flash and the horn will sound on the second press on LOCK and the lamps will flash any time you press UNLOCK)

THEFT-DETERRENT VERIFICATION

1) Press the LOCK button on the remote.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear.
3) Press the LOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes you want.

MODE 1 All Off (No horn chirp or lamp flash)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps (Your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (If you use the remote to arm the system, your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice to verify the system is armed. If it only chirps once, the hatch is open or unlatched. If you use either the power door lock switch or passive arming, only the lamps will flash for verification)

THEFT DETERRENT ARMING METHOD

1) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes
3) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door until you are in the mode you want.

MODE 1 Alarm System Off (System will not arm)
MODE 2 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Lock (When you lock the doors using the remote, the system will arm itself)
MODE 3 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch (If you use the remote or the popwer door lock switch to lock the doors, the system will arm)
MODE 4 Passive Arming and Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch Arming (The system will arm itself after all doors are closed plus arming per MODE 3)

DRIVER'S DOOR ALARM DELAY AND SHOCK SENSOR ENABLE

1) Turn the parking lamps on and off
2) Count the chimes
3) Turn the parking lamps on and off until you hear the number of chimes you wany

MODE 1 Zero Delay and Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound immediately if the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 2 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 3 Zero Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound immediately after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)
MODE 4 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)

LEAVING PROGRAM MODE

When programming is done, turn the ignition to OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what if you have more stuff in your trunk though, do you think it's more helpful to put it back there? then again i guess to get to the trunk you either have to shatter the back window or go in through the front or pry the hatch open, all of which will set the alarm off also.

would you just use double-sided tape on the airbag module? what about just putting it under the radio? really as long as you can cover any area that they can reach from the window or door opened, it wouldn't matter where it goes specifically.

can you buy anything else that works with our alarm system, maybe a remote that lets you know it's going off? i mean my sensor is shot so if i wanted to replace it, why not get the radar sensor? that's such a better idea. i'm not a fan of the 6" perimeter thing. if someone walks by your car and the perimeter sensor sets off an alarm, it's obvious you have something in your car and i think it makes you more of a target. they'll just wait till no one is around to break in. i'd rather it be there in case they break in and the noise catches them off-guard and they run.

i think the basic jist of this thread is that the stock shock sensor basically does nothing all that useful.
There's a couple of reasons for putting it under the console on the airbag module - it's a fairly central location for maximum interior coverage and it has no metal above it to block the disturbance field. Besides, it fits well and the space is otherwise unused. Yes, two-sided tape is quite sufficient to keep it in place.

There are other accessory sensors that can be connected in the same way (glass break sensors, motion sensors, etc.) but no updated or more capable remotes.

The two zones (warn-away and full alarm) are individually adjustable so you don't have to set it to warn away from outside the car. I find it useful because a common problem for me is people who decide the car is a convenient place to lean against.

Quick Reply: what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?