Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Driver side wire tuck WITHOUT extending the harness!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Driver side wire tuck WITHOUT extending the harness!

Wire tuck is pretty much done, just need to make a one more bracket, and drill one more hole and it's complete. Here's my moch up to make sure the harnesses will fit once i rerouted them.

Stock plastic mounting buckets for fuse boxes...cut in half and trimmed up

side by side

Area under the old fuse box location, cut away

New cover plate cut out, will have small DZUS fastners for quick access to fuses

Stock "buckets" mated up, this isnt stuctural so the rivets should do just fine.

Fuse boxes in their new location, just strung up till I can make the mounting bracket.

Wires being routed behind the shock, there is about 1" of clearance there so it has plenty of room

Need to drill a hole in the strut tower to feed the wires back into the cockpit. Dont mind the clipped wires, i still need to remove them, but was holding off until i fitted the harness to the car..not looking forward to melting the sealant and getting into that mess

Harness routed under the lower radiator support

And back out to the other side

another angle of the fuse box location

And there you have it, a driver side wire tuck WITHOUT extending the harness. Please keep in mind that this is just roughed in, i will go back and use insulated line clamps to secure it to the body/frame and will cover the wires back up with loom. I am also building a removable enclosure for the fuse boxes so moisture cant get to them. All said and done the ONLY wires that will be remotely visible are the one that have to come out to the headlights , everything else is completely hidden. I will update this as i get the rest of the things done i mentioned earlier.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Niiiiiiiice!!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM
8 Second Club

Looking good Brandon!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats kinda how i did mine but i flipped the fuse box upside down and ran the harness under the splash gaurd around the inner fender well
Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
Please keep in mind that this is just roughed in, i will go back and use insulated line clamps to secure it to the body/frame and will cover the wires back up with loom.
Good thing you said that, I was ready to slam you for leaving the wires out in the open
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a heatgun to melt that crap, had a shop rag close by and used my widest flat screwdriver to scoop off the goop as it loosened. That cleared the majority. The screwdriver helped to pull the wires out of the block as they began to free up. Good luck. Everything looks good so far!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

small update. Its all finished heres a few pics from a while back that has some more progress to it.

and here's some more I snapped tonight, all finished up.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, how did you get the wires on that side of the fender? Did you pull the pins from the fuseboxes? It doesnt look like they would fit through the hole you made.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Location: where ever i can store my car. (palos hills,il for now)

Looks good I had a bad exp with the interior harness but I think I may do this looks not to bad. Sure it will still suck but thanks for the info and pics
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great. wish i had the patience to get that done.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Something I need to do. how long it take you? What all do you have to remove? bumper and crap.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gunna bump this back up. Do you have any more pictures of the engine bay its self? And also what did you do about the abs block wires?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pretty simple to do. You unplug all the connectors from your headlights, fog lights, horn, windshield washer reservoir, abs block, brake master cylinder, undo the strap from the fuse blocks etc and basically get the harness completely undone on the engine bay side.

After it is completely undone on the engine bay side, take a 7mm socket and unscrew the bolt on the firewall at the top of that black connector to the right of the brake master cylinder. Don't try pulling this connector away from the firewall as it has to be pushed into the engine bay from inside the cabin.

Open the driver door and remove the access panels with a 7mm socket and a tool to help remove the push pins. Use a flash light and find the connector on the firewall at the top left. There are two small plastic pins on each side to hold in and push the connector into the engine bay. Follow that same harness/connector that you just pushed into the engine bay from the firewall into the cabin and undo all the connectors it is connected too. Find the largest black/grey connector like the one you just pushed into the engine bay. It is attached to a metal bracket. You don't need to remove it from the bracket but look on the front of it in between the wires. You will see a bolt that needs undoing. Use a thin wall 7mm socket to undo the bolt and get the connector to separate into two pieces. There are plastic retainer clips that you have to remove from this as well to get it undone I think I can't remember. Now after separating this connector there are 2 connectors on the top of the steering column that will be a bitch to get to if you don't drop the column. There are a few connectors attached to the pedals, and some to the left side near the kick panel. I want to say there are 8-9 total including the large one you separated. Once all these connectors are undone, go ahead and maneuver the connectors through the hole in the firewall where that connector was that you held the plastic pins in and pushed through to the engine bay side.

I'm not sure how big of a hole saw bit he used but I'd say you need at least 2-2 1/4" for the largest connector to fit through. The rest is pretty self explanatory as far as routing the harness back into the engine bay and to the passenger side etc. I'm not sure if the ABS connector will be long enough to reach the module itself as I removed my ABS. Once I get my car back from paint I can do a step by step process of this but the harness will already have been removed. Hope this helps clarify a few things.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man that helps alot. Im ordering a abs delete kit fri and didn't know if I could just. Snip the wires or what. Anyway thanks alot
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but thought I would answer some questions. As far as the harness, it all unhooks from inside the car, and then comes out through the firewall. Since my car is mostly a track car, I just traced all the wires for things I didnt need and removed them from the harness completely. I think it lost about 15-20 lbs just from that harness alone. Plus whatever the ABS unit, evap, and cruise control stuff weighed. I didnt use a hole saw to cut that, i actually cut it out with an angle grinder and cleaned it up with a dremel and carbide grinding bit, just traced the inside of a roll of 3M blue painter's tape, somewhere between 2.5-3 inches would be my guess.

If you just wanted to do the routing etc, figure a good 6 to 8 hours to do it the way that I have, because you'll need to re route the entire harness, plus fabricate some brackets and a cover. I have about twice that, as I spent a lot of time tracing and removing wires, one at a time, and let me tell you this, GM puts a crap ton of tape around the harnesses, and the sealant that goes around the firewall connector, gets messy when you hit it with the heatgun LOL.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

yall have any more pics of this in progress? just checking the routing of wires.... what all did yall remove from the car?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

pics dont work anymore....
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

I'll re-load the pics to my photobucket account. They were on webshots but that site sucks now and doesnt allow you to link you pictures anymore.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

pretty much from start to finish

Quick Reply: Driver side wire tuck WITHOUT extending the harness!