Here is the updated drivetrain layout:

Name:  IMG_2971midengine12.jpg
Views: 5771
Size:  75.2 KB

Maybe I can offset the rear diff like so:
Name:  batch1135b.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  28.3 KB

Now I need to figure out which rearend shape looks better.

Traditional on top and Radical on bottom
Name:  IMG_2971midengine11.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2971midengine13.jpg
Views: 3688
Size:  29.8 KB

What do you guys think overall? Is the body too long? Wheelbase too long? Do the proportions look right?
Overall, I think the radical tail is closer proportion wise and I'm starting to dig the looks of it. It makes the car look more compact and sporty and puts more emphasis on the rear wing.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boondiggys
are you going to do this? or do you need me to do it, cuz i know i can.

I'm going to chime in again because I thing everyone else dropped off the face of the earth and you deserve some support .

I would like to see you make an AWD Trans am. judging from the pictures above I would say that streaching the body, though it's cool, is going to be a lot more of a streach then in the photo, a lot. And a lot of time and money to do it, but heck I can't say nothing like "it's impossable because I've taken on projects like this myself . I will throw another idea I had while starring at your pictures.

The Mitsubishi 3000gt and the Dodge Stealth. While yes you would only be getting a five speed I think at this time it's worth a mention. I've seen some high HP it these car so I know that they can hold up some what to abuse. It would make it heavy it the boot but, mounting it behind the axle where the T-Tops are would be awesome, i still think. Would get to still keep you rear seats and passenger seat . Awesome!

As for the whole reversing direction so you won't be going in revers in first gear. A custom cam and running the motor backwards would be the easiest thing to do in my opinion. They use to run motors counterclockwise, all the time, back it the day when they had two motors, each driving one wheel. You would have to rout your belt differently so the accessory would still be going the right way but that would be one of the easier parts lol.

Question is, how much would a adapter cost you to connect the engine and transmission. Selling that T-56 might cover it .

Here is a cutaway I had.

All in all whatever you do I wish you luck, JR
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your talking about making it rear engined? No, no. That won't do. Dangerous weight distribution with that idea. I don't want rear seats anyway. I prefer the idea in post 181.

Besides, a simple Corvair trans would do that. You'd need to run the motor backward, still. Check it out, V8 in the trunk!

Here's a cool little Corvair with a 1998 Cadillac STS 4.6 liter Northstar V8 rated at 300 HP with integrated 4T80E electronically controlled four speed O.D. transmission in the back seat. I'm not saying I want to do it. It's just neat.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think it would be dangerous weight distribution as you will be adding a differential up-front along with axles, the gas tank and a few other items.

This Porsche doesn't have a problem being a rear mount ls1
http://www.carzi.com/2008/08/08/toy-...11-conversion/
http://toy-jet.com/index.html

I think if you managed it right you could make it 50/50. The overhang is not that much, I don't think it would be that bad. I would rather manage weight and move it around then buy all those extra parts, hoping that what you just bought you can make work.

And I was talking about reversing the engines rotation to counterclockwise instead of clockwise to get it going it the right direction.

JR
Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look up a term called trailing throttle oversteer. The 911 made it famous.

You can do that if you want. I don't want to.

What extra parts do you mean? A transfer case?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I think I'm satisfied as far as the shape looking good within my design limitations. Now I just need to go back and look a bit harder into transfer cases and get the driveline sorted out.

BTW, I haven't stretched the body at all. In fact, the upper pic is about 5" shorter and the lower pic is shorter still. The only thing I stretched was the wheelbase.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-15-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

You slackers, I'm just now learning that the AWD transfer cases are much closer to what I need. They don't have the low range gears in them and they are a constant 1:1 ratio. This means they are simpler and lighter than a regular transfer case.
They are still more complicated than what I need, though because they have a differential of some sort in them. A Vee Drive would be perfect if they didn't cost so much.

I need the output spinning opposite the input, right? I think so. The whole drive line just does a 180* at the T-case. So I need the output also 180*. Makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are doing all that work why not go 4WD???
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Red face

Originally Posted by chuntington101
if you are doing all that work why not go 4WD???
Well first of all, I assume you mean AWD.
Secondly, why?

Going AWD completely changes the way you drive the car. I won't be be able to slide it around, do a 180 flick, drift it sideways, etc... That's a lot of fun I'd be missing.

On the other hand, I won't need monster wide rear tires and it would be safer in the wet (assuming I drive it in the wet). It might accelerate better out of corners. Might do pretty well at drag style street racing, too.

Ehhhh, I'll think about it later on.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found this thread and read it all. I love the idea and was gonna say screw the haters but I see they are gone by now lol. I've got a few different mid engine custom car ideas of my own. There was a mid engine 68 camaro in a mag back in the late 90s. I think it was Hot Rod. I've got the mag at home but I'm not there or I'd scan and post some pics. He used an olds 455 and transaxle out of a front wheel drive torino I think it was. I know that's not what you are looking for, but I wish I could at least show you the car, it was pretty wicked. The only un-moddified panel was the roof.

I like the idea of a smaller TA. I've had a vision in my head of a WS6 TA that was closer to the size of an Acura RSX (I'm a former Honda tech). I personally think it would look better if you kept more of a ram air look on the front but, either way I'm eager to see any progress you make.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that link, probably interest to you. Wonder, how much the weight after its done?
~2,000 lbs? Lot of works/long hours to do weld....
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/woodighini/955734/
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I've seen that car. I don't understand his construction method, but I have to give him props for the work. I think it's really ugly myself.

If you want to see something cool, google lamborghini b1 stealth. There are vids on YouTube as well. It is home built and resembles a Lambo. It only has a V6, but it moves pretty good. Sounds good, too.

Exoticmotorsports.com

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

i still dont see why you are keeping the T56! its making the whole conversion soo much harder! you dont just have to use the prosche Transaxel box, there are also the Audi boxes. the 2WD stuff used in the Deisel cars are pretty strong. probalby wouldn't last to long with full bore standing starts however.

still think the Procker box would be the most sensiable way to go. How much will the T56 intrude on the passanger compartment?

Chris,
Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

i still dont see why you are keeping the T56! its making the whole conversion soo much harder! you dont just have to use the prosche Transaxel box, there are also the Audi boxes. the 2WD stuff used in the Deisel cars are pretty strong. probalby wouldn't last to long with full bore standing starts however.

still think the Procker box would be the most sensable way to go. How much will the T56 intrude on the passanger compartment?

Chris,
I can either use the T56 in a midengine design or I can use it in a front engine design. Which one would I prefer? Hmmmm.

Which one would you like to see me build? Hmmmm

I haven't seen any other transmission that meets my needs as set forth in post #179.

The T56 shouldn't intrude at all. The mounting location of the transfer case is still in the air. I can either put it up front out of the way or I can bolt it to the trans and clock it at say 5:00 on the passenger side. If it uses a little space under the passengers knees, then too bad for them.

Plus an AWD version is still open should I want it.

Just a side note: You can flip any rear axle upside down to make the wheels spin the opposite direction and you'll still be using the DRIVE side of the gears. It's only when you change the driveshaft rotation direction that you start using the COAST side of the gears.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-17-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once the new floor is in you won't know what's under there. It will be just like any other mid-engine car. You hit the gas, it goes. Most folks dont really care how complicated it is or isn't. My setup isn't any more complicated than a GMC Syclone. It's the same basic parts just rearranged. Don't be scared by it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-17-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Once the new floor is in you won't know what's under there. It will be just like any other mid-engine car. You hit the gas, it goes. Most folks dont really care how complicated it is or isn't. My setup isn't any more complicated than a GMC Syclone. It's the same basic parts just rearranged. Don't be scared by it.
Thats a good point. can you lock the 4WD systems to drive just the fornt wheels (thats basically what your doing)??

what you could do is mount the engine a little higher and actually run a IRS rear end. then you could offset the diff to either side (depencind what side the drive shaft runs on).

hmmmm lots of intresting stuff here. keep up the good work!

Chris.

PS. what about the gear lever?? wont the H pattern be upside down?? cable linkage maybe??
Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a good point. can you lock the 4WD systems to drive just the fornt wheels (thats basically what your doing)??

what you could do is mount the engine a little higher and actually run a IRS rear end. then you could offset the diff to either side (depencind what side the drive shaft runs on).

hmmmm lots of intresting stuff here. keep up the good work!

Chris.

PS. what about the gear lever?? wont the H pattern be upside down?? cable linkage maybe??
No 4WD, AWD. Big difference. They don't have gear reduction, are always on and have a differential built in. I mentioned that in post 187.

I AM planning to use an IRS offset to the side (maybe a little or maybe a lot). The Ford 8.8 IRS. I mentioned that in post 181.

You want the engine as low as possible.

Gear selection is taken care of.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-17-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's the latest pic cleaned up a little. No scoops yet, but they will be coming later.

Name:  IMG_2971midengine18.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  67.4 KB
Old 12-17-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a sweet Lola kit car with an LS1 and a Porsche G50 trans. The video is sweet. That thing takes off like a rocket.

pics and vid
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

i wouldnt worry about how low it is. i would go for that sick lambo look u got now. dont worry about bein the lowest, make some progress

Quick Reply: Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice