Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Why do people get so caught up in horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do people get so caught up in horsepower?

I just do not understand why people talk about horsepower and not torque. I know that P=Tw so with engine speed and one you can find the other, but it just seems that Power can easily be manipulated by high engine speeds, so why talk about it? I don't know a single formula that uses power to calculated acceleration so why would you use power and weight to calculate et's? If I was going to go about it I would say,

Tractive Force=(Torque*Gear Ratios*Efficiencies)/Tire Radius
Then I would say
Acceleration=(Tractive Force-Drag Force-Rolling Resistance Force)/Mass

I just do not see where horsepower is needed. Is there something I am missing?

,Chase
Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do people post non-Advance Engineering questions in the Advanced Engineering section?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really like torque get a Detroit diesel
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Silver2000WS-6
I just do not understand why people talk about horsepower and not torque. I know that P=Tw so with engine speed and one you can find the other, but it just seems that Power can easily be manipulated by high engine speeds, so why talk about it? I don't know a single formula that uses power to calculated acceleration so why would you use power and weight to calculate et's? If I was going to go about it I would say,

Tractive Force=(Torque*Gear Ratios*Efficiencies)/Tire Radius
Then I would say
Acceleration=(Tractive Force-Drag Force-Rolling Resistance Force)/Mass

I just do not see where horsepower is needed. Is there something I am missing?

,Chase
You are right that you don't understand.

TQ can be easily "manipulated" by gearing etc. where as HP can not.

You have it backwards.

TQ means little on it's own at all and neither does RPM.

Put them together and then you can see what your rear wheel TQ is at some speed and gear and now you know how hard you can accelerate.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by racer7088
You are right that you don't understand.

TQ can be easily "manipulated" by gearing etc. where as HP can not.

You have it backwards.

TQ means little on it's own at all and neither does RPM.

Put them together and then you can see what your rear wheel TQ is at some speed and gear and now you know how hard you can accelerate.
How would putting torque and engine speed together give you rear wheel torque? However I did account for rearwheel torque by multiplying flywheel torque by gear reductions and then by efficiences. I still do not understand where a hp # would be used to figure acceleration unless you used it and it's corresponding engine speed to find that instant torque. Again I am just trying to find out why everyone talks about hp. I am not arguing its not important.

,Chase
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

400HP at 12,000RPMs or 2,000RPMs is still simply 400HP. The motor running 2,000RPMs is running a lot more torque, yet realistically it will not make the same car accelerate faster. Basically, if two engines running the same power at different RPMs were geared to the same speed at their peak RPMs they would be applying the same torque to the wheels. This assumes no difference in frictional losses of course.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Average power to the wheels is what matters...

here was a quick story i made last time this topic came up... keep in mind power is a measurement of how often that torque is applied...

You are trying to build a wall (aka drive down the drag strip) and you want to get it built as quickly as possible (ET). You have a few people to help (rpm) and they can each carry a certain size rock (torque/force) at a rate of one rock each per minute

Gasp.. you have one group that cant get along with the other to determine how to build this wall the fastest. One team of 3000 people big surly men think they can get it done faster than the team of 7000 women. The team of men cary big heavy rocks (350lbs) and each one can move one rock every minute. The women are weaker so they carry slightly smaller rocks (262 lbs) and they also can each get one rock placed every minute.

Which team is building at a faster pace?

A: The team of men are building their wall at a rate of 1,050,000 lbs per minute, and the team of women are building their wall at a rate of 1,834,000 lbs per minute. This is calculated by multiplying the weight of the rocks by the number of rocks being placed

Moral of story.. the size of your rocks dont matter unless you have alot of helping hands to build the wall. A single 4000lb rock is impressive but if nobody moves it.. no wall will be built
assume the lb/minute rate they are building the wall as thrust force moving your vehicle down the track. Becuase multiplying the torque by the amount of times you can apply it (rpm) will give you the resultant thrust force to move the vehicle (that is a very simple explanation)

Last edited by DanO; 04-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Why do people post non-Advance Engineering questions in the Advanced Engineering section?
I am sorry I just assumed that this was engineering related since in one of my upper level engineering classes we spent a chapter or two on simulating acceleration.

Last edited by Silver2000WS-6; 04-17-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DanO
Average power to the wheels is what matters...

here was a quick story i made last time this topic came up... keep in mind power is a measurement of how often that torque is applied...

assume the lb/minute rate they are building the wall as thrust force moving your vehicle down the track. Becuase multiplying the torque by the amount of times you can apply it (rpm) will give you the resultant thrust force to move the vehicle (that is a very simple explanation)
Thanks for the positive help. I am going to keep reading this and see if I can't get something to soak in. lol So how would power be applied into an equation to calculate acceleration?

,Chase
Old 04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

has anyone one else heard the term "hp is how fast you can go, tq is how fast you can get there"? does that have any sense in itself?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
has anyone one else heard the term "hp is how fast you can go, tq is how fast you can get there"? does that have any sense in itself?
Yeah I used to hear that a lot, but I am looking to get a little more indepth than that. Thanks for the input though.

,Chase
Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sorry I just assumed that this was engineering related since in one of my upper level engineering classes we spent a chapter or two on simulating acceleration.
If your asking this question and you are in a upper engineering class you need to take a step back.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that actually makes zero sense and just confuses the general population..

although i hear it alot
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alvin@Tick
If your asking this question and you are in a upper engineering class you need to take a step back.
So you have a equation to find acceleration by using power?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah.. thats pretty easy

F=ma

use power, engine rpm, gear ratio, vehicle weight and wheel speed..

the part that you are missing is that more power allows more torque multiplication via gear ratio

for a given vehicle speed your tire rpm is fixed, but if you can have your engine spinning 7000 rpm putting out a high toque level and then multiply it by a higher gear ratio, your tractive force will be higher than an engine with the same high torque at 3000 rpm cause they cant multiply the torque as much through the transmission.

this concept should be easy to grasp by an upper level engineering student..

Last edited by DanO; 04-17-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DanO
yeah.. thats pretty easy

F=ma

use power, engine rpm, gear ratio, vehicle weight and wheel speed..

the part that you are missing is that more power allows more torque multiplication via gear ratio

for a given vehicle speed your tire rpm is fixed, but if you can have your engine spinning 7000 rpm putting out a high toque level and then multiply it by a higher gear ratio, your tractive force will be higher than an engine with the same high torque at 3000 rpm cause they cant multiply the torque as much through the transmission.

this concept should be easy to grasp by an upper level engineering student..

Yeah you are going about it the same way as I did earlier but you using power and dividing by engine speed to get the torque # I use. I see what you mean about if an engine spins up really high you can stuff in some low gears to bump up the tractive force which obviously makes sense.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Teching In

No that statement does not make any sense. There is so much mis-information regarding this. So many people say torque is what gets your going and power is what keeps you going. Anyone who says that just simply does not understand what they are talking about. I believe that phrase comes from people associating high torque numbers with wide powerbands. Like stated above, acceleration is about average power output. So obviously a 900hp motor with a wide powerband is going to generally accelerate better than a peaky 900hp motor.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the deal. I can deliver 100 ft lbs of torque to a lug nut, or a wrench or whatever. What I cannot do is deliver a 100 ft lbs of torque at 7000 RPM. Do you see the difference in power and torque now?

The wall analogy is a good one above. There is no equation that says a car will accelerate with so much power. If you are a higher level engineer you should have already had a class for "dynamic systems" This would be a good class to solve a problem like this. You would need a little differential equations and to build a simulation to see how a car is going to accelerate.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually if you know the weight and the power you can use several equations to find the acceleration very easily.

If you only have a static torque value though you can not figure anything out at all as far as acceleration.

Quick Reply: Why do people get so caught up in horsepower?