Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Motec MLS - LS1 specific ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motec MLS - LS1 specific ECU

Anyone use one or have any experience with this LS1 specific Motec? I had an Autronic in my last car and I was amazed with it. Motec seems like the next step up and this one is very very reasonably priced at about $1000.

Originally Posted by Motec Website

The compact and lightweight MLS is dedicated to Chevrolet LS1 and Lexus/Toyota V8s, providing a price competitive solution for this range of popular engines.

A derivative of the M4 engine management system, it has all the benefits of performance and reliability associated with this earlier generation ECU.

The DOS-based tuning software is efficient and easy to use with the same functionality as the M4 ECU Manager software.

Engine Tuning Features

*DOS-based ECU Manager tuning software
*Individual cylinder tuning of both fuel delivery and ignition timing
*3D fuel and ignition tables for engine mapping
* Table axis selectable from a range of channels
* Fully configurable axis points on fuel and ignition tables
* Chevrolet engines:
o Ref/Sync modes to cover the old and new trigger patterns for LS series of the modern V8 Chevrolet engines with 8 coils; mode 233 (24 crank teeth) and modes 81 or 83 (2 missing teeth; one per cycle)
o Ignition system needs to be wired and run in group fire mode using the 4 injector drivers with the coils configured as wasted spark (leaving 1 auxiliary output)
* Lexus/Toyota V8 twin distributor style 1UZFE engine:
o Multi-tooth Ref/Sync mode
o The number of coils needs to be clamped to 2 (leaving 3 auxiliary outputs)

Free access to wideband Lambda and data logging for initial tuning for the first 6 hours engine running time

Additional Distinct Features

* Capable of modern control functions, such as:
o Traction control
o Overrun boost enhancement (anti-lag)
o Gear change ignition cut (flat shifts)
o Boost control
o Nitrous injection
* Fully configurable sensor inputs including custom calibrations
* Transmitting data via RS232 bus
* Wideband Lambda measurement capability
* Integrated advanced diagnostics, including injector & crank trigger diagnostics

Data Acquisition

* Internal data logging (512 kB) with download via RS232
* State of the art i2 Standard data analysis software

Upgradable with optional functionality to make additional features available when you want them, activated through a simple password system.
http://www.motec.com/mls/mlsoverview/
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dos based operating system, and wasted spark, are the things that would not be my choise

for that kind of money you can allso get a kms system, windows based and self learning wideband , boost control, datalog, traction control, idle control etc etc. suitable for upto 10 cyl. engines
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...series-ecu.htm

i use it, and like it, only feature that i miss is basically a "blend" function for tps and map, so you can use tps for low rpm / inlet pressure fluctuations, and map for when boost comes in. i only came across these funtions sofar in expensive stand alone systems :-(
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here but whey don't you just get HP Tuners??

It does everything that standalone can do and more, all for hundreds less and with nothing more than an OBDII cable and a laptop.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Launching!

yes, but if you have an engine WITHOUT an ecu + wireloom, it's different
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeejee
dos based operating system, and wasted spark, are the things that would not be my choise

for that kind of money you can allso get a kms system, windows based and self learning wideband , boost control, datalog, traction control, idle control etc etc. suitable for upto 10 cyl. engines
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...series-ecu.htm

i use it, and like it, only feature that i miss is basically a "blend" function for tps and map, so you can use tps for low rpm / inlet pressure fluctuations, and map for when boost comes in. i only came across these funtions sofar in expensive stand alone systems :-(
I'll look into the KMS system. Thanks for that link. The more I look at the MLS, the more I think I'll need something better, like an M800 or Autronic SM4. I just found out about this ECU and wanted some opinions.

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Maybe I'm missing something here but whey don't you just get HP Tuners??

It does everything that standalone can do and more, all for hundreds less and with nothing more than an OBDII cable and a laptop.
Thats the same mentallity that the guys with carburetored LS1's have. 'Why use a computer when I can just change a jet or turn a ****?'

I wasn't aware that HP tuners could log data (to the ECU, not laptop), auto-tune fuel tables, had a proper traction control system, flat foot shifting, and had extra PWM outputs for doing whatever you like. FWIW, I had my Autronic contolling an electronic differential in my last car. I also like that when my CEL comes on, its for something that warrants attention, not a loose gas cap or other BS.

Originally Posted by jeejee
yes, but if you have an engine WITHOUT an ecu + wireloom, it's different
Exactly. I'd rather not spend hundreds on an OEM ECU and wiring harness when I can spend a little more and get a lot more.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the Motec M800 is a sweet piece.. but $$$

We used it on the race team, but that money didnt come out of my pocket, thank goodness. Plus you can get wireless telemetry and many other awesome features
Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
I'll look into the KMS system. Thanks for that link. The more I look at the MLS, the more I think I'll need something better, like an M800 or Autronic SM4. I just found out about this ECU and wanted some opinions.

Thats the same mentallity that the guys with carburetored LS1's have. 'Why use a computer when I can just change a jet or turn a ****?'
the mentality is that if i can go faster with a mechanical fuel meter for cheeper, then im all for it. and after my car went 10.4 with a 750 double pumper. all i had to do was change a jet. nothing wrong with that for a violent street strip car. im not against any efi, not at all,my efi car gets 23mpg with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

hp tuners on a factory ecu will not be as acurate as the motec system can be. I have been impressed with motec systems. Also I agree that is a very reasonable price. Did look at the kms system though, as it seems to be a good system too.

Last edited by avb0119; 05-05-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Motec MLS - LS1 specific ECU