Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

Has anyone here ceramic coated their cylinder heads, intake manifolds and pistons? If so any opinions? I have heard people complain about piston rings suffering because of that, but can you not ceramic coat piston rings too?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No, because they will bind on the piston.

Typically you get headers ceramic coated since this better retain heat in pipes which keeps the gas velocity up.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dart does a bunch of different coatings, would an oil shedding coating be beneficial? what does that mean, it has less drag? or...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil shedding coating on inside of block is to promote better oil drain back into pan (to keep oil pickup covered).
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh cool. yeah dart will do the crank, underside of pistons, connecting rods, interior of oil pans for sure and the underside of the intake I think.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trevmust
Has anyone here ceramic coated their cylinder heads, intake manifolds and pistons? If so any opinions? I have heard people complain about piston rings suffering because of that, but can you not ceramic coat piston rings too?
Ceramic coating pistons is most common followed by intake manifolds, combustion chambers and valves. So much so that you'll likely be seeing these coating on OEM vehicles in the very near future. Reason being, OE's have determined that your typical engine with aluminum block, heads and pistons loses upwards of 30% + thermal efficiency.

Why would piston rings "suffer" from coating heads, intakes and pistons??
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CCPcoatingscom
Ceramic coating pistons is most common followed by intake manifolds, combustion chambers and valves. So much so that you'll likely be seeing these coating on OEM vehicles in the very near future. Reason being, OE's have determined that your typical engine with aluminum block, heads and pistons loses upwards of 30% + thermal efficiency.

Why would piston rings "suffer" from coating heads, intakes and pistons??
I understand now, even though I didnt ask the question lol. Very good info. Soo can powercoating a block affect the performace of it?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I understand now, even though I didnt ask the question lol. Very good info. Soo can powercoating a block affect the performace of it?
Not really. It's just a better way to keep it looking nice. GM powder coats their LSX blocks and many of their crate engine assemblies and then has them machined. They had us powder some of those in clear as well as heads, intakes and cranks for their mobile displays a while back. We've done some similar work for AM General as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People say the increased heat blows the rings out sooner
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Teching In

People say the increased heat blows the rings out sooner
That doesn't seem very logical now does it? Why would it be hotter when its absorbing LESS heat? In reality the piston will be cooler after having its dome coated as it's rejecting more heat.

When you have excessive temps in a cylinder with a standard un-coated piston you will get burned/melted domes or stuck rings as a result of piston distortion or physical melting/welding from the heat.

Coated pistons will give you a much bigger safety margin to avoid the melted pistons. If things get really crazy though, since the heat can't really make its way through the piston any longer, the new path of least resistance is going down the cylinder to the ring land or skirt area.

Unfortunately If you make a big enough boo-boo even coating won't help you.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i was confused too.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

yeah i was confused too.
They were likely trying to say the same thing but it got lost in translation.....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they were trying to say that the heat reflection makes the Cylinder temps higher.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CCPcoatingscom
Not really. It's just a better way to keep it looking nice. GM powder coats their LSX blocks and many of their crate engine assemblies and then has them machined. They had us powder some of those in clear as well as heads, intakes and cranks for their mobile displays a while back. We've done some similar work for AM General as well.

Ahh I see, thanks for the response. Ive always wondered if it was bad or not.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Soo coated pistons can basically be more safer at higher temperatures correct?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joecar
No, because they will bind on the piston.

Typically you get headers ceramic coated since this better retain heat in pipes which keeps the gas velocity up.
Are you sure about either point?

I fairly certain coatings on the headers are not for velocity flow (temp in not a variable in flow – shape and Reynolds number are) but rather to keep temperature down in that area (hence, displacing heat from the engine bay and extracting it out the exhaust).

I’m 99% sure ceramic coating does not help ‘air flow’ – if it did, the entire inside would be coated. It’s simply an insulator to prevent heat from conducting under the hood and heat soaking everything else.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Are you sure about either point?

I fairly certain coatings on the headers are not for velocity flow (temp in not a variable in flow – shape and Reynolds number are) but rather to keep temperature down in that area (hence, displacing heat from the engine bay and extracting it out the exhaust).

I’m 99% sure ceramic coating does not help ‘air flow’ – if it did, the entire inside would be coated. It’s simply an insulator to prevent heat from conducting under the hood and heat soaking everything else.
the heat protection is on the outside and the other kind of coating for the inside is supposed to make it flow faster
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

the heat protection is on the outside and the other kind of coating for the inside is supposed to make it flow faster
I've never heard this, and don't buy it without proof. Keep in mind, flow and velocity are two different things. And to be fair, yes, I have had ceramic coated headers before- but that was to prevent rust and under hood temps - not for "faster flow."
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I've never heard this, and don't buy it without proof. Keep in mind, flow and velocity are two different things. And to be fair, yes, I have had ceramic coated headers before- but that was to prevent rust and under hood temps - not for "faster flow."
I personally dont buy it either with no proof, but hey i could be wrong, with all this technology now days it could be possible.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

maybe the porous nature of the ceramics can promote flow like a golf ball. Smoother surfaces are "stickier" as air passes by more surface area. So maybe ceramic coating the interior of headers and other internal combustion areas can actually see a slight improvement?

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating