Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Advanced Book Selections

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Book Selections

I would like to begin a list of books that should be on every "Advanced Tech" readers bookshelf. I am constantly expanding my collection and would like to find some other great books

my Favorites are:

1. Racecar Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken (suspension bible)
(dont forget to get the workbook)

2. Carrol Smith Collection:
Tune to Win,
Engineer to Win,
Prepare to win

etc..

3. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine, Willard Pulkrabek

4. Advanced Engine Technology , Heisler

5. College Engineering Textbooks (From machine design to fluid mechanics... all very valuable in understanding how things work, and great for equations!)

6. Machinery's Handbook (27th edition is latest version) This has all reference info on all mechanical parameters and some equations too.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if the link will work for everyone....but here is a link that I found from my schools library.

Machinery's Handbook (26th Edition)
http://www.knovel.com/knovel2/Toc.jsp?BookID=309

Regards,
Adrian
Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Here are a few sources I have found to be helpful:

- Automotive Mechanics and Technology. Steckner, 3rd Edition.

- Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems. Smith and Morrison, 3rd Edition

- High Performance Technology Vol. #2, Cylinder Heads. Video from Shaver Racing Engines. Low budget, but interesting information on flow testing and
cylinder head construction.

- Holley Power Tuning (for the carb guys). Another low budget video, but
explains the carburetor circuits well, along with tuning and measurements.

Subscription to National Dragster has some very advanced technical articles
(most geared for purely strip cars however).
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Everything written by David Vizard. (well, except maybe his Mini Minor stuff from the sixties...)
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...Fencoding=UTF8

This is an MIT text book. If you like your theories proven with differential calculus and chemical equations then this is the book for you.
Supertech and mathmatically exact.

Or if your maths isnt so good, just read the text. Still a very detailed source of info.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ringram
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...Fencoding=UTF8

This is an MIT text book. If you like your theories proven with differential calculus and chemical equations then this is the book for you.
Supertech and mathmatically exact.

Or if your maths isnt so good, just read the text. Still a very detailed source of info.

Good one!.. i cant believe i missed mentioning that one... i will definately second that.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I asked a similar question regarding Gen III engines in particular on my first post at this board. I’ll have to pick up Haywood’s book, it looks like a dandy. Here’s some reading ideas. Sorry, no time for links.

Engine design/theory papers available through the Society of Automotive Engineers are usually helpful.

A book that is a culmination of papers edited by Joseph Harralson, titled, Design of Racing and High Performance Engines is very good. Papers in the book deal with static and dynamic flow coefficients, 4-stroke frictional loss computation, Honda's Formula One engine design/testing, and other interesting information.

The Motorsports Engineering Conference compilations, especially the ones dealing with engines and drivetrains. They are usually titled as an example, "94 Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exposition Meeting: engines and drivetrain". Compiled every two years or so.

Phillip H. Smith, The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems. An oldie but still excellent reading.

Any of Charles Taylor's books.

For light reading, I like Vizard, but he keeps the good stuff to himself.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control: 1982 through 2001 - Charles Probst
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

A couple chassis books I have read and enjoyed:

Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams (1993)

Door Slammers: The Chassis Book by Dave Morgan (1990)

Both are excellent for learning about suspension geometry, tuning, design, etc... for both drag racing and road racing.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell (1997)

Thats an excellent one for learning how to spec, design, and tune turbocharger setups
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Charles Taylor's books are really good if you're into the more technically oriented stuff.

As far as chassis' go Jerry Bickel's book is good.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

FORCED INDUCTION PERFORMANCE TUNING. Author: A.GRAHAM BELL Some good food for thought if you are into custom manifolds, etc.

Supercharged by Corky Bell A decent book on supercharging
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the books by the late Carroll Smith are great. His original articles from Sports Car Graphic--the basis of Prepare to Win--are also good.

Tires, Suspension, and Handling by John Dixon is the only suspension book that has its act together from a theoretical stance.

For practical suspension there is An Introduction To Race Car Engineering Book 1 by Warren Rowley. Examples use Mitchell software, and covers contemporary road race and oval track suspensions.

None of the engine books do much for me. However, this book (which I don't own) Internal Combustion Engine Handbook - Basics, Components, Systems, and Perspectives would be good. It is recent (December 2004) and thick (868 pages). And expensive: $150.