Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mikronite gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mikronite gears

http://mikronite.com/testData.asp

I read in some mustang magazine a while back that said this mikronite process will increase the strength of rear end gears by taking out mikrofractures or something, increses horse power, and reduces heat because of less friction. Anyone tried this? The process makes sence to me, but what are your thoughts on this? I sent them an e-mail a while back and they said $300 to micronite the gears. Anyone think its worth it or even works?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done quite a few t56 with the Mikronite finished gears. I like the finish that the gears and sliders have. I have yet to do and tests but the guy that do my mikroniting say that it reduces operating temps by 20 degrees and usually makes 5 more whp.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by formula355LT1

I read in some mustang magazine a while back that said this mikronite process will increase the strength of rear end gears by taking out mikrofractures or something, increses horse power, and reduces heat because of less friction. Anyone tried this? The process makes sence to me, but what are your thoughts on this? I sent them an e-mail a while back and they said $300 to micronite the gears. Anyone think its worth it or even works?
$300 to high-g tumble a set of gears that costs less than that? Most similar machines coud handle 6-10 or more gearsets. $1800-$3000 for a run is a quick way to pay for their machine.

Just how does it increase horsepower? The website was a little vague on that. It is a pretty slick site, however.

If your rearend is borderline on strength, put the money toward bigger gears (Ford 9 in, etc.). Adding compressive stresses to a few .001 of the surface of hardened gears isn't going to do a lot to keep the teeth from breaking off under BIG loads.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Less heat equals less friction which equal more power to the rear wheels. The test data that I saw was from a nine inch gear set also, but I do agree I would also rather have the 12 bolt/ 9inch over some treated 10 bolt gears.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Less heat equals less friction which equal more power to the rear wheels. The test data that I saw was from a nine inch gear set also, but I do agree I would also rather have the 12 bolt/ 9inch over some treated 10 bolt gears.
Please explain how this process causes significantly less heat in a hypoid gearset which already had lapped teeth. A different lube will have more effect. Remember you aren't starting with a rough surface prior to treating, so there's not much room for surface finish improvement.

Put me in the skeptical column. Of course, I don't believe -300F deepfreezing triples (or is it doubles or quadruples) gear life either. Hey, if you did both processes, the stock-size gears would last forever, right?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Please explain how this process causes significantly less heat in a hypoid gearset which already had lapped teeth. A different lube will have more effect. Remember you aren't starting with a rough surface prior to treating, so there's not much room for surface finish improvement.

Put me in the skeptical column. Of course, I don't believe -300F deepfreezing triples (or is it doubles or quadruples) gear life either. Hey, if you did both processes, the stock-size gears would last forever, right?
Check the following website and the information they give on Mikronite:

http://www.mikronite.com/overview.asp

I go off of the information provided to me as a vendor. Liberty Gears is the best source for information on this process.

Joe
Old 02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Check the following website and the information they give on Mikronite:

http://www.mikronite.com/overview.asp

I go off of the information provided to me as a vendor. Liberty Gears is the best source for information on this process.

Joe

I read the website before I posted, That's why I asked HOW. I've been in the precision parts manufacturing business for a very long time. Just saying something works without showing how doesn't always impress me. Neither do self-serving "tests".

"You can BS the people, but you can't BS the parts." Parts don't spend money for magic bullets. Some people do.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

i did some of the testing for mikronite through vinci high performance. it does work. i've tested 6 different sets of gears in my 00 formula for the 10 bolt. here's the page on vinci's website.

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML

also, the gear sets were on display at the PRI show back in december.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

http://mikronite.com/documents/Dyno1.pdf

i didn't know they put my car up on their site. the dyno1 test is my car.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

A little off subject but when swiching from 3.23 gears to 4.10 gears, will I loose rear wheel horse and torque? I seen a dyno graph that showed a 20RWHP loss when swiching from 3.23's to 4.10 gears. I immagine it was because of friction, but 20 RWHP sounds like way to much to loose, or am I just getting bad information?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

not getting bad information. when i did the gear swap i lost 13 rwhp and 24 rwtq. you are reading the graph correctly. now, i did go from 1.85 (3.23) to 1.709 (4.10) 60ft.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this process reduce gear noise that is so common with stronger aftermarket gears?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

it can, yes. it micropolishes the teeth for a smoother finish as well. mine were quieter processed vs unprocessed.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrr23
not getting bad information. when i did the gear swap i lost 13 rwhp and 24 rwtq. you are reading the graph correctly. now, i did go from 1.85 (3.23) to 1.709 (4.10) 60ft.
Was that going from a stock gear to a Mikronited gear, or are both gears stock?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

If you test on an inertia chassis dyno (e.g. Dynojet) in the same gear as before (say 3rd), a big change in rear gear ratio means the engine is accelerating much faster, and the greater torque required to overcome the engine and transmission's inertia is lost to the task of spinning up the rollers, thus a lower power reading, just as if you'd done the test in 2nd vs. 3rd.
There would likely be a small increase in friction for the higher numerical gear, but nothing like 13-20 HP. Doing an A-B test with the different gears on an absorbtion-type chassis dyno should show this.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Was that going from a stock gear to a Mikronited gear, or are both gears stock?
both were stock unprocessed gears.

http://mikronite.com/documents/Dyno1.pdf

read this pdf file from mikronite. it is my car. the first dyno graph shows my original 3.23 factory gears vs 4.10 unprocessed gears. the second graph shows the 4.10 unprocessed gears vs the mikronite processed 4.10 gears. both 4.10 gears were motive gear sets.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I found that test informative, especially if the temperature tests were well duplicated. 27 degrees is substantial. One thing doesn't feel right though. The statement about the pinion having more teeth and requiring less power because of that fact bothers me. I'm not talking about just ratio. If you have more teeth on the pinion you have more teeth in contact with the ring gear. The gearset is stronger and I would think there would be more friction there with more teeth area in contact. I may be all wet, I dunno. But thank you for directing us to that test. Liberty uses it on their 5 speed clutchless stuff for heads up racing. Those use straight cut-hobbed gears and there has to be a benifit from surface treatment there, especially with 2 cluster shafts.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:57 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It might be beneficial to those of us who have C5's and can't upgrade rears. I've seen that DTE is doing this process now.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Also It's $200.00 for the process to be done to the gears not $300.00.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Default Mikronite

Mikronite is a name not a process. Don of Dewco out of Indiana, builds all the rears for the NHRA Pro Stock cars, as well as other rears. He has been doing this process in house now for about 6 months, he also does the transmission internals for alot of the racers, sliders, forks, gears, etc. he knows alot about this process, and why it works. Again it goes back to friction. If interested, Don's number is 765-962-7201. He is a busy guy, but very knowledgable on the subject. We havent personally run anything yet in our car, but we will on our next rear end rebuild. We are also going to be sending him our extra transmission components to have him do this to.

Thanks
Dart

Quick Reply: Mikronite gears