Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

402 Big compression, Head advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:54 PM
Teching In

Default 402 Big compression, Head advice

Hi, I am new to the board. My partner and I own DanZio Performance Engineering in Southern California. We build engines for sand cars and off road cars. We build quite a few engines every year and have done tons of r&d on a different variety engines and components.

One of our most popular engine packages is an LS2 402 (our "Brutus" engine package). We usually run the AFR 225 heads on this engine package. As of current we are building one of these and are running the compression up to 14:1. We were going to use the same head that we normally use because we have had great success in power and reliabilty with this head but are looking at alternatives.

We would like to make peak horse power at around 6300 to 6500 rpm. We are not using solid lifters and we plan to limit it at around 7,000 rpm. Just wondering if any of you have any other success with other brands of head that flow more cfm and what kinds of recomendations you can make based off of the data you have accuired. We will run subsequent tests with several different heads and we have a good idea of what we need to run based off our experience. However, we are are very open minded and would like to recieve your imput for similar set ups.

Thank You
Old 07-07-2006 | 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ET Performance also has some top notch heads. The 'basic' info in terms of flow data is found on thier website.

Being less than 7000rpm the hydraulic roller should more than suffice... Morel lifters are the ones used in almost all the racing LSx programs.
Old 07-07-2006 | 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DanO
ET Performance also has some top notch heads. The 'basic' info in terms of flow data is found on thier website.

Being less than 7000rpm the hydraulic roller should more than suffice... Morel lifters are the ones used in almost all the racing LSx programs.
ET Performance is the head that we are looking at using instead of the AFR's. We have also checked out the charts. We just like to get a good starting point as we have never used their heads before.
Old 07-08-2006 | 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

AFR makes a good head. They have however hosed over to many people I know back in the day. I checked out ET's products @ the PRI show. They are sweet!!
Old 07-08-2006 | 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ET 11 degree heads are incredible, well constructed and designed and not too mention flow like a monster. Strong down low strong up high, and a wickedly efficient exhaust port.

I have seen a good gain in using narrow splits of only two degrees in the durarion and also run a few single pattern designs that have done well.
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:18 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Im a ET user/dealer and there heads are top notch.If you were lookin for a better head i would go with a ET ls7 head this seems like all the 4.0 bore guys are going to start leaning towards the ls7.They flow some serious air if that is what your lookin for.
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Regardless of revs, the hydraulic rollers is much less aggressive than a solid roller, especially a solid roller race cam. You are leaving a lot of power on the table.

You didn't say what engine speed range you use or what intake. The LS7 intake is apparently much better than the Fast 90 intake or stock LS1/2/6 intakes. If you re using an ITB (Harrop, Kinsler, etc.) or a sheetmetal intake that issue goes away.

ET has bigger heads than the 225 AFR (up to 265) and their small bore LS7 flows slightly better than their similarly sized 255 LS1 heads.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2006 | 10:04 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

If this was my setup i would aim on spinning the motor to 7300 7500 range and i would use the ls7 intake.There priced right.And i would get a custom ground cammotion cam ive always had good luck with there stuff.
Old 07-08-2006 | 10:13 AM
Banned

What intake manifold are you using for this motor? If its the stock style plastic or design, then whats the point of changing what you have been using. You wont get anymore flow out of the manifold with either cylinder head. I saw keep the smaller runner head and build for TQ, and you will get HP as well.

Rick
Old 07-08-2006 | 11:08 AM
Teching In

Thank You guys very much for the info. I will do some calculating based on the recomedations so far.
Old 07-08-2006 | 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

a bit off topic josh, but how much dose a buggy weigh???

Chris.
Old 07-09-2006 | 01:39 PM
Teching In

Mine weighs around 2300 pounds. They can be anywhere between 1500 and 3500 pounds. There are quite a bit of differnet varieties.

On another note. Going to do some more calculations for the combination of parts. Thanks to everyone for their recomendations.

Last edited by Josh @ DanZio; 07-09-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 402 Big compression, Head advice