Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Yamabond and Quench Distance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Yamabond and Quench Distance Questions

I've been considering using yamabond to help hold the heads down. I'll be using a large undisclosed amount of nitrous with ported 243 castings. Considering the deck and cylinder pressure it seems like a good idea. I haven't heard anything bad about it, but as I was filling out some specific paper work for engine parts I started thinking.

Yamabond is a liquid adhesive that takes up space. The paper work I was filling out got me to thinking as it requested the compressed head gasket thickness. Well, if you're adding a "thin" layer of yamabond to the surface between the heads and block isn't that going to affect my compression and quench? I was also wondering as to what people refered to as a, "thin" layer? Are we talking tenths, hundreths, thousandths?

Here's Forteen3GT's setup with yamabond. As you can notice some of it seeped out after being torqued down so that makes me think that a, "thin" layer isn't a negligable factor.

(Black stuff)

I tried searching on here and typing in yamabond only came up with 3 results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus you actually get a thread that's worth being in this section vs somethings like how to identify a block, pick my heads, or a new two door blazer.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have never thought of using it on a head gasket. I would like to know how well it works and if it helps.

What I do know about it is from overhauling my kids motorcross bikes. I use it instead of using gaskets. Alot of motorcross engines do that. Also it stays semi wet. It is used and designed for use in areas of the engine that is in contact with fuel. Other sealents will disolve with consant contact with fuel. Other then that,,,, thats all the help I can be.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is another source of info on it:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...kit/index.html

ESP co-owner and driver Ken Quartuccio said that since he started building nitrous LS1s in 2003, he has been going through head gaskets like crazy. After trying several different brands, his machinist suggested trying Yamabond (made by Yamaha), a form of sealant used by motorcycle engines in lieu of gaskets, to try and keep the heads from lifting. You can see the excess glue, which has been squished out between the head gasket and cylinder head at the corners.

***talk to the fellas at Eastside Performance***
Old 09-02-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

it is stickie ickie..... like adding glue. It can only help. Think about it.... put your hands together with just regular elmers blue........notice that when you have 2 larger flat surfaces even with glue that is not as strong as wet cement or monkey glue...... it still applies many many lbs of separation resistance.... makes sense to me.

Crazy as it may sound, it will actually let the cylinder head lift a little off the deck and keep the seal.

The Yamaha fellas use it in leau of head gaskets.... it seems to keep them from having leaky gaskets or something. So.... one would think that if the heads do lift..... this would assist by permitting you to keep from having to screw with blown or bad gaskets repeatedly.

Last edited by WizeAss; 09-02-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I don't see in any way of it hindering holding the heads down. Quite the opposite in fact that it still retains some form of elasticity. I'm just wondering how much of a difference using it effects your compression and quench. Obviously with engine builders take such exact measurements to construct an engine every variable should be taken into account.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use that type of stuff all the time building 2 strokes, to seal the crank case halves together (the case splits along the crank center line) and you basically assume it has 0 thickness after assy,

Not too sure about using it as a head gasket, as rubber o-rings are used to seal the cooling passages between the cylinder and head, but there are no other gaskets used to seal the head to cylinder.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

It wont affect your quench area much at all, like maybe a few thousandths.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

How are you guys putting yamabond on the gaskets?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I'd be interested to hear this also. Are you applying it to the deck surfaces of the heads and block or to the head gaskets itself?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
How are you guys putting yamabond on the gaskets?

bump ttttttttttttttt
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We squirt it on and smear it with your fingers.

225-343-9029
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Would this work on a 853 head with the "tabs"?

I don't wanna run a stock gasket again, maybe MLS with Yamabond?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Haha, that'a rather simple solution.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
put a thin layer above and below the gasket.... make sure you seal the corners and around the bore area.

Atleast that is what I found out. Also...... smearing it with others peoples fingers after you squirt it out is always better than smearing it with your own.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

yamabond is a great sealer. works well and holds up very well. Its main use is for crank cases on 2 cycle motor to seal them. We use it on all are outboard race boat motors. One thing is that its very hard to get off when dry.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Thats what Yamaha used on the decompression plug of my YFZ450 and that blew out after a few months of use. And that was only subject to oil and crankcase pressure. I dont know if its all thhhaaaatt strong, but it may help to prevent blowing gaskets. I also never saw it on any of the other gasket mating surfaces of the bike. Maybe its more common on 2 stroke bikes.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it similar to hondabond?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrivenWS6
Thats what Yamaha used on the decompression plug of my YFZ450 and that blew out after a few months of use. And that was only subject to oil and crankcase pressure. I dont know if its all thhhaaaatt strong, but it may help to prevent blowing gaskets. I also never saw it on any of the other gasket mating surfaces of the bike. Maybe its more common on 2 stroke bikes.
that is only what they used on the early yfz's. an easy fix is just to use an aftermarket plug that is metal and screwed into place. by the way, i run a dasa as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

What about multi-layer gaskets? Unless each layer is bonded there won't much aditional holding power. Am I missing something. The gasket would pull apart.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned

I've used yamabond on two stroke cases.
Just my opinion....if you can lift a head you're going to blow the yamabond out.
If your buddy has had good luck since using it then he hasn't lifted a head yet.

Quick Reply: Yamabond and Quench Distance Questions