Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

One tail light darker than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One tail light darker than the other?

I replaced one of my tail lights in my 2000 TA after an assH*ole kicked one in at a bar one night. Months later I took a good look and the new/used one is much darker than my original. Not so much that it looks like night shades, almost looks factory. Did some years come with darker tail lights than others?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure they didn't. I know my friend had a similar problem and it was the sockets for the bulbs. They were corroded, so he replaced them and everything was good again.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

No this is actually the lens itself is much darker than the other except for the very last two rows of honeycombs. I then say a firebird the other day that lights look similar. I'll try to poat a pic later tonight.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No there are not different colors. One of mine went dark over time. I think it is caused by moister. You can't fix it either. You just have to buy a new one or another used one. There were even two rows of good honney comb on mine, maybe it is the way they are molded.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its moisture damage. The relective finish inside the taillight has come off due to moisture.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Its moisture damage. The relective finish inside the taillight has come off due to moisture.
bingo

Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Yep....it is ruined if it is darker.....also beware when buying them used...I bought two sets used and had to use one light from each set just to get ones that were not ruined.
Best bet would be to buy them new....unless you can go to the junk yard and see them in person before buying.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Well crap! I probably bought it that way!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that too on mine after about 6 years . The driver's side had excessive moisture. Most of the time the rear back up light was fogged

Here's a pic before I swapped it out with a new one. You can even see the back-up light fogged up in this pic

and now it's all nice and bright and less cluttered up with the stickers and I also redid the tailfiller

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is indeed moisture that causes the darkening. For more information: What happens is that the moisture corrodes the metallic lining on the housing. That lining is supposed to reflect the light from the bulb out the lens. When it corrodes it turns black and stops reflecting effeciantly. Look in through your back-up light and you'll see black spots of corrosion. The only fix is to replace with a light that hasn't corroded. To prevent you can run a bead of clear silicone around where the lens meets the housing (there will be a small space) and by checking the gaskets on the bulb sockets when you remove or replace bulbs.

Swat
Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

I suppose this is anothert hing we should THANK the general for?? My passenger side one is almost black from the moisture buildup, but the driver side looks brand new. wtf??
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone tried removing the outer lens and repainting the inside chrome from where it has flaked off? Just an idea, would be cheaper than paying $100+ for a new light.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Has anyone tried removing the outer lens and repainting the inside chrome from where it has flaked off? Just an idea, would be cheaper than paying $100+ for a new light.
I haven't seen chrome paint that actually comes out like chrome. Even chrome powder coating wouldn't give the same reflective properties of the factory coating.

Swat
Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I haven't seen chrome paint that actually comes out like chrome. Even chrome powder coating wouldn't give the same reflective properties of the factory coating.

Swat
I've seen some chrome paint at Advance Auto, but haven't ever bought and tried it. I imagine it wouldn't be a good as the OEM finish, but it could help improve it a little.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
YES IT CAN BE FIXED WITH SILICONE, CLAMPS, AN OVEN, AND PAINT

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/935651-tail-light-faded.html <------ Click here

Me? I just bought a good one from the junkyard that hadn't dimmed yet. I want to buy a bad set, take them apart, and paint the reflectors gloss black. I think it'd look pimp. It'd be "the Zex mod"

Quick Reply: One tail light darker than the other?