General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tail light Faded

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tail light Faded

I got a 2000 t/a and my driver side tail light is darker than the passenger side, any one know why? is it water vapor messing up the chrome on the inside or something else, im going to replace it but i dont want it to happen again so im trying to figure out why this happened?

Last edited by LoudmouthWS6; 07-29-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly what it is, except mine is the reverse. My passenger side is the one that's darker. My best guess is to use some dielectric grease on the little rubber pads for the tail lights. That might seal it up a little bit better. It's worked on mine so far.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

yeah it started on my reverse light then i noticed my tail light got dark, i have people drive up and tell me my lights out lol, guess ill just throw some kinda of sealer and hope it works.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

also anyone know the best and cheapest way to get a tail light? i figured a junk yard, but maybe theres something out there i dont know about, thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black them out...you will never notice again and its way cheaper than a new taillight....My reverse light had moisture in it...I just nightshaded the taillight and bam the moisture was gone...well it was still there you just couldn't see it anymore...lol!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...nightshade+how
Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem. I cleaned it out with bleach thinking it was algae or something in it, but it didn't help.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

it pretty much looks blacked out lol only if the other one would do the same haha
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mcalus
Black them out...you will never notice again and its way cheaper than a new taillight....My reverse light had moisture in it...I just nightshaded the taillight and bam the moisture was gone...well it was still there you just couldn't see it anymore...lol!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...nightshade+how
that sucks that happens to ta's
Old 06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

I took mine off and drilled a bunch of small holes in the back at the bottom. The condensation is no longer a problem. The reverse light with the silver backing is dirty from the ordeal, and I haven't considered cracking it open to clean it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

yeah my back up lights chrome is messed up from the water, i think that why my light is dark, where can you get a light from besides a junk yard or a dealership?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Teching In

I believe the moisture actually damages the silver reflective material inside the light. I put the dielectric grease on the washers, but moisture was still getting in. I then ran a bead of silicone caulk around the backside of the lens where the outside lens is glued to the body of the light. No moisture since, and it's been over a year.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Yeah ever since I drilled 2 small holes in the bottom of the light there has been no more condensation.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

yeah i probably just drill some holes in the backside of it, but still where can i get a new light that won't cost a ton, the last time i got one some hit me luckly just braking my tail light so they paid for and it was $233, i know that aint two much, but im a college student and there is really no need to relace it except that it annoys me that one tail light is darker than the other, so i dont really wanna spend another $200 lol, i've tried some local junk yards but no t/a's or firebirds
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I posted about this and it got yeah about three replys.
But what you do is find another one that is like it look on ebay and find a darker one or lighter one. I think that they are factory tail lights from a formula, people say the pigment "fades". But they all fade the same way and look the same and it makes since they were made like that...I can't confirm that... When I bought my TA it was like that. Just search a junkyard camaro and firebird shop or somethin and you'll find one to match. Dont tint one to make it look darker.. That's ghetto. Get two that match then tint them after if that's the look your going for.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by apayner1
I posted about this and it got yeah about three replys.
But what you do is find another one that is like it look on ebay and find a darker one or lighter one. I think that they are factory tail lights from a formula, people say the pigment "fades". But they all fade the same way and look the same and it makes since they were made like that...I can't confirm that... When I bought my TA it was like that. Just search a junkyard camaro and firebird shop or somethin and you'll find one to match. Dont tint one to make it look darker.. That's ghetto. Get two that match then tint them after if that's the look your going for.
It doesn't really matter if you niteshade both light's even if one is faded, they'll end up looking the same..

Anyway my passenger side is faded from rain leaking in, I even sealed it with a caulking gun all over but it still gets in so I'm just going to drill a few holes at the bottom and then go with some niteshade since it looks better and it's cheaper than buying a new light anyway.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

The chrome reflective material is faded, had this problem on my old trans am, had to replace the light, i wonder if you could heat them up in a oven and open the light up and respray the reflective material with chrome paint.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just tint your tail lights, problem solved
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

im not really big on the night shade tint ill probably just buy a new one or one from a junk yard, thanks for the help guys
Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99NMB
The chrome reflective material is faded, had this problem on my old trans am, had to replace the light, i wonder if you could heat them up in a oven and open the light up and respray the reflective material with chrome paint.
ive wondered the same thing, surely there is a way but its probably just as cheap to get a new one
Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Buying a new light isn't exactly cheap though, I payed a little more than $200 for both. Not sure what the exact number was, but I got the best price I could from a junk yard.

Quick Reply: Tail light Faded