General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tail light Faded

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two for around 200 wouldnt be bad i got one for 233 it was brand new tho, hopefully i come across a good deal, you would think with this happing and sounds like it happend quite a bit gm would have tried to slove the problem, but then again if they did that they couldnt sell you a marked up tail light
Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem. i tried to bake mine but for 5 min at 350. it got real hot and deformed the corner. i could not get them apart. so i quite and will wait to find someone to rear end me lol

Last edited by blackodium; 07-11-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

you dont bake them at 350, its more like 220 for 20 minutes.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Empatho
you dont bake them at 350, its more like 220 for 20 minutes.
have you had good luck with that?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

if you baked it and did get it apart what would you use to keep it back together also what do you spray in it to get the reflection back
Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoudmouthWS6
if you baked it and did get it apart what would you use to keep it back together also what do you spray in it to get the reflection back
my opinion. RTV silicon to put it back together. and i got some chrome duplicolor paint at autozone or advance. that you would spray on the inside backing to get the reflective backing that came off due to moisture.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackodium
have you had good luck with that?
I haven't done the tail lights but I have done it with the headlights Im guessing that it should be the same.
my opinion. RTV silicon to put it back together. and i got some chrome duplicolor paint at autozone or advance. that you would spray on the inside backing to get the reflective backing that came off due to moisture.
thats what I used to put the headlights back together
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Empatho
I haven't done the tail lights but I have done it with the headlights Im guessing that it should be the same.

thats what I used to put the headlights back together
so bake the light at 220 for 20 mins then pull apart throw some chrome on it glue it back together and walla fixed?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

so bake the light at 220 for 20 mins then pull apart throw some chrome on it glue it back together and walla fixed?
better said than done. like i said i tried it at 350 for 5 min and deformed my corner. baking at 220 for 20 min might make the difference. if anyone tries and succeeds let us know. i will eventually try it.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

well im gonna try it so ill let you guys knows, but first are the head light of a camaro and tail light of a t/a glued together the same? if so i will try it tonight or tomorrow if not i will contuine to do a little research but i am gonna try it soon either way i guess.

Guess ill be the lab rat lol
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds great!.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

ok i havent tried bakin it yet, ive been trying to find out what glue the factory used so i would have a better heating temp, i would like to go low temp as possible so i dont melt the plastic, if anyone knows it would help

thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive heard 220 is the standard as far as baking lights every where ive looked, 220 shouldnt melt the plastic.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. Everyone likes to coverup the problem by tinting their tail lights. Correct me if im wrong but if you have one side that is dull and the other regular and you decide to tint them is it not going to be the same effect but worse?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Ok. Everyone likes to coverup the problem by tinting their tail lights. Correct me if im wrong but if you have one side that is dull and the other regular and you decide to tint them is it not going to be the same effect but worse?
thats what i thought as well, even i tint them ill still have one darker than the other, wouldnt I? it would be like putting a black screen over a black wall vs. a black screen over a white wall, the white wall will still be lighter... correct me if im wrong, ive never dealt with light tint
Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just black them out, then you wont see any color.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

thats what i thought as well, even i tint them ill still have one darker than the other, wouldnt I? it would be like putting a black screen over a black wall vs. a black screen over a white wall, the white wall will still be lighter... correct me if im wrong, ive never dealt with light tint
Ugh, I don't understand your logic. Your tail light isn't a completely different color than the other one, it's just slightly more dull because of the chrome being destroyed by the water. If your light was bright pink then you wouldn't be able to cover it up equally, but it's not bright pink is it?

How would they be a different shade if you're tinting them both equally? Don't question it, do it. Save yourself a hundred or more instead of buying a new light.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Angry

Originally Posted by taeketsu
Ugh, I don't understand your logic. Your tail light isn't a completely different color than the other one, it's just slightly more dull because of the chrome being destroyed by the water. If your light was bright pink then you wouldn't be able to cover it up equally, but it's not bright pink is it?

How would they be a different shade if you're tinting them both equally? Don't question it, do it. Save yourself a hundred or more instead of buying a new light.
They are not a diff shade. One does not reflect as much light as the other. Therefore when you tint both they will become harder to see especially in the day time.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

They are not a diff shade. One does not reflect as much light as the other. Therefore when you tint both they will become harder to see especially in the day time.
I didn't say they were a different shade, I said one is more dull than the other which is exactly what you just said but simpler. I asked how the lights could be different shades after spraying them with VHT if you did them equally. They'll look the same.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by taeketsu

you did say diff shade.

Quick Reply: Tail light Faded