General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tail light Faded

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackodium
you did say diff shade.
Uh yea, I was asking how the finished product (after both lights are sprayed) could possibly be different shades if they were sprayed evenly. I never said the actual un-sprayed lights are "different shades".

Reading comprehension really helps prevent these pointless arguments.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taeketsu
Ugh, I don't understand your logic. Your tail light isn't a completely different color than the other one, it's just slightly more dull because of the chrome being destroyed by the water. If your light was bright pink then you wouldn't be able to cover it up equally, but it's not bright pink is it?

How would they be a different shade if you're tinting them both equally? Don't question it, do it. Save yourself a hundred or more instead of buying a new light.
Uh yea, I was asking how the finished product (after both lights are sprayed) could possibly be different shades if they were sprayed evenly. I never said the actual un-sprayed lights are "different shades".

Reading comprehension really helps prevent these pointless arguments.
I am saying that even if you do that then they will still be the same as if you did not spray or tint......
Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

I am saying that even if you do that then they will still be the same as if you did not spray or tint......
Obviously since the problem is the chrome that's inside the light. But if you tint it nobody will be able to notice because the lights will look the same (as in neither is duller than the other because they're both black), that's the point.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Obviously since the problem is the chrome that's inside the light. But if you tint it nobody will be able to notice because the lights will look the same (as in neither is duller than the other because they're both black), that's the point.
so would i have to tint one more than the other to make it equal?

and i understand what your saying and agree, what im saying is i guess im not seeing how tinting would fix the problem unless i tint the brighter one more than the dull one, to me it would seem like the dull one would just get duller and still be duller than the bright one,

and im not trying to start and argument by any means im just asking?

maybe some pics would help yall understand what they look and how much different the look
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LoudmouthWS6
so would i have to tint one more than the other to make it equal?

and i understand what your saying and agree, what im saying is i guess im not seeing how tinting would fix the problem unless i tint the brighter one more than the dull one, to me it would seem like the dull one would just get duller and still be duller than the bright one,

and im not trying to start and argument by any means im just asking?

maybe some pics would help yall understand what they look and how much different the look
Bro, everyone in this thread with the exception of one person has told you that tinting will solve the problem.

You don't have to spray one more than the other, do both sides equally in one spray (few coats + clear coat) and they'll look the same. Your light looks dull because the chrome on the inside has been damaged by water, therefore it does not reflect light as well as it should. Since you're gonna be spraying the outside of the light with VHT, you won't have that problem anymore. You're basically covering up the outside so neither side will reflect light anymore, they'll just be black/smoked. Hope you understand what I'm saying?

I have the same problem you have, I bought covers instead because I didn't want to mess up spraying and I don't have anything to practice on. Should have kept my old LT1 lights to try it on.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Launching!

if you dont fix the problem inside the light, the problem is still going to be there. if you tint them yes they will look the same until you step on the brakes, then the one that is darker will still be darker. the silver backing is there for a reason.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01WS6JACKLE
if you dont fix the problem inside the light, the problem is still going to be there. if you tint them yes they will look the same until you step on the brakes, then the one that is darker will still be darker. the silver backing is there for a reason.
this is what ive been talking about when i say that wont look the same even if i tint them, when i brake one is still darker, i dont know ive never done tint but it just seems like common sense to me, maybe im wrong i dont know
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoudmouthWS6
this is what ive been talking about when i say that wont look the same even if i tint them, when i brake one is still darker, i dont know ive never done tint but it just seems like common sense to me, maybe im wrong i dont know
nope, seems like common sense to me as well. when they are off they will look the same, but you'll have the same problem you did before when they are tinted once you apply the brakes.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

As much as it sucks, get new lights er light
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
As much as it sucks, get new lights er light
Originally Posted by 406malibu
nope, seems like common sense to me as well. when they are off they will look the same, but you'll have the same problem you did before when they are tinted once you apply the brakes.
Originally Posted by 01WS6JACKLE
wow looks like i know what im talking about. thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

wow looks like i know what im talking about. thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!
i've agreed with you all along i guess im gonna try the baking and then buy a new one if i have to, ill let you guys know how the baking goes it may be a few days probably this weekend to make sure i have enough time to do it all at once

thanks again for all the help
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, I don't understand your logic. Your tail light isn't a completely different color than the other one, it's just slightly more dull because of the chrome being destroyed by the water. If your light was bright pink then you wouldn't be able to cover it up equally, but it's not bright pink is it?

How would they be a different shade if you're tinting them both equally? Don't question it, do it. Save yourself a hundred or more instead of buying a new light.
The light output on the dimmer one is because it is lacking the reflective properties that the other light has (the chrome on the inside flaking, not reflecting and increasing light output). Its like taking 2 identical flash lights, removing the mirror from one of them and shining them through a tinted window, the one with the mirror still there will output more light through the tint while the without the mirror will STILL look duller because the tint is withholding the same amount of light from them both. For them to shine evenly after tinting, he would have to tint the brighter one more, but then it would be darker black, and he'd have that problem.

Covering up the outside does not stop the reflections on the inside that light through the taillight.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

ok im about to try baking it and seeing if i can get it apart, but first i was wondering if i needed to put the light on a cookie sheet or something other than the oven racks, also when i put my light in the oven it has to touch the sides for it to fit is that asking for a melted conner or do you think it would be okay

thanks and lets hope it works cross your finger
Old 07-26-2008, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

tada!!!! k got the light open, i cooked it at about 225-230 for 20 mins pulled it out opened a little bit of it stuck it back in for about 5-10 mins opened more of it and so on till it finnally opened up now im off to the auto store to buy the reflective stuff and glue so ill post pics up as i go

Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation Wow

WOW sticky for sure.! Congrats this is going to be awesome cant wait to try it. what were the materials you used? Your the man mad props for you.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

dont pop the top just yet im having trouble getting it back together,

the materials i used was gloves that won't melt, rtv silicone, duplicolor chrome paint, painter tape, knife (to help cut gule and pry apart) and vice grips (4)

1. take taillight off
2. pre-heat oven to 220-230
3. place light in oven for 20 mins - repeat if it doesn't come off all the way
4. pull light apart
5. clean the inside (be sure to get all the glue off)
6. tape up the edges using painters tape
7. spray dulipcolor chrome paint ( i put about 3 coats)
8. let dry
9. put rtv silicone around the edge
10. place back together and clamp down using vice grips ( i used four but more would be handy)
11. let dry for 24 hours
12. clean off any access silicone
13. replace light back to car

here is a quick list i put together to help out alittle bit, it probably could be modified a bit better

good luck and a little info. putting it back together was a b@#$% for me, ill get the finished pics when it drys

**BE SURE TO GET ALL THE GLUE OFF FORM THE FACTORY, IT WILL HELP IT GO BACK TOGETHER AND BE CAREFULL WHEN PULLING APART PLASTIC WILL BRAKE EASY**

Last edited by LoudmouthWS6; 07-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

here is where im having trouble getting it back together, the vice grips i got arent big enough to clamp anypart of the light right here, i need a different kinda of clamp or somthing

and sorry for the poor quality pics
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow looks good, you should get some pics of them on the car with the lights on to show that they light up the same. sticky material for sure.

Quick Reply: Tail light Faded