Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Write-Up: Non-Projector HIDs for Firebird/Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
ok, I got my fogs in, and the H7 kit as well...how long do I have to wait until my housings are in?? I ordered them before I ordered the H7 kit. And I haven't heard anything from eurolights about my order status...Is this normal??
The shipping on the HID kit was a lot faster for me, so i'm sure the EuroLights housings will come soon. How long has it been? If its only been around a week I wouldnt worry about it. If I remember correctly mine took kinda long to get here too.

Here's where I have my fog ballasts (sorry for he dirtyness )

Name:  DSC03015.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  165.3 KB

My lows ballasts are under the headlight itself - Next to the motor there's a surface, I used the double sided tape on all of them.

HIDs aren't supposed to die for a looooooooooong time. But when it comes time, i'm not sure. But I've never heard someone say that their HIDs died like a regular headlight would, just that it blew due to an electrical problem or something like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ordered the lenses on the 15th of January...I sent a mail to them asking about the order status & never have gotten a reply....and they have no contact number on their page....
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
The shipping on the HID kit was a lot faster for me, so i'm sure the EuroLights housings will come soon. How long has it been? If its only been around a week I wouldnt worry about it. If I remember correctly mine took kinda long to get here too.

Here's where I have my fog ballasts (sorry for he dirtyness )

My lows ballasts are under the headlight itself - Next to the motor there's a surface, I used the double sided tape on all of them.

HIDs aren't supposed to die for a looooooooooong time. But when it comes time, i'm not sure. But I've never heard someone say that their HIDs died like a regular headlight would, just that it blew due to an electrical problem or something like that.

Sweet thanks, I'm still debating on whether to get hids for the lows. Im definitly getting them for the fogs, and i'm definitly getting the euro sealed conversion, but i think i'll try the new blue white buld that comes with the euro headlights first just to see what they look like, then i can always get hids if i want.

Any one try the bulbs that came with the euro headlights?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a video of my 10000K HIDs that I took a while back. The light dispersion is actually very good. DEFINATELY better than halogens! I know I was acting stupid but you get the idea..

And some pics..

My HID kit in my dads blazer compared to his stock halogens.

Name:  1017081925a.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  1026080131a.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  36.8 KB

As you can see, even my low beams have a little bit of lighting escaping too high, but a pretty straight line for the most part.

Name:  1115081836a.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh. Forgot to mention something... I do realize this is a Firebird/TA Thread. I just wanted to Shed some light (no pun intended) on HIDs and how even projector lenses can still leak out light, blinding other drivers. Hopefully somebody will design something for both f-bodys that prevents this.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
Yeah it looks killer I to have an hid kit for the fogs but I'm going to switch to glass housings on the fogs. This is so annoying trying to find 4703 replacement housings.
what glass fog light housing do you have in mind?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS.6Fbird
Any one try the bulbs that came with the euro headlights?
I had gotten the Euro Lights housings way before I put HIDs in the low beams. If I remember correctly, i ordered the white/blue bulbs, and they weren't even white lol. Unless I had put a wrong bulb in or something. I'm sure Euro Lights wouldn't lie though. Go for it, if you don't like them get HIDs!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I had gotten the Euro Lights housings way before I put HIDs in the low beams. If I remember correctly, i ordered the white/blue bulbs, and they weren't even white lol. Unless I had put a wrong bulb in or something. I'm sure Euro Lights wouldn't lie though. Go for it, if you don't like them get HIDs!
Really? Yeah i ordered the Xenon blue white bulds. What color were they when you installed them? And yeah i can always go to hids if i don't like.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

I read that the Xenon bulbs are white and the white/blue bulbs are really blue colored. 98Ws6-do you feel the Eurolights are worth the money?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I read that the Xenon bulbs are white and the white/blue bulbs are really blue colored. 98Ws6-do you feel the Eurolights are worth the money?
What you said about the color is right. The lights I put in mine were like stock, they were yellow, but they were brighter. I don't recall exactly if what I said was right, but i'm pretty sure they were the Xenon lights.

The eurolights was worth the money because I needed them to do the HIDs. I like the "Bolt-On" convenience of them rather than ripping apart my factory headlights and sealing them in. You might be able to find cheaper housings on ebay.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I was going to get the Eurolights blue/white h4703 88.00 kit for my 02 Trans Am just to try them out and since they come with new housings, I would be able to change to an HID kit. I decided to get the their RealHID kit and it took about 15 minutes to install. It was a direct plug and play and it took longer putting on and taking off the headlight shrouds than installing them. I took 98 WS6's advice and bought a super slim 880 off of ebay. The ballasts in these kits are a little bigger than a credit card and about 1/4" or 1/8" thin. The shipping was extremely fast and it was also free shipping. I ordered the 880 kit on Sunday night(so hopefully it would go out Monday), and I got it Wednesday. The install was a little harder. I installed them from the top because I think it would have been harder to install them from underneath. Another small annoyance is getting your arms through tight spaces. I already had my Eurolights HID kit in which made it a little more difficult trying to move all of the wires and the ballast looking clean(a super slim HID kit is highly recommended). It still was easy though. This kit is plug and play too. I installed everything yesterday. Honestly, the harderst thing is to keep your wires from binding up and getting them mixed in with your lowbeam wires, while also trying to make it look clean with wires tucked. I will try to post pics up later today.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

If you order the Eurolight kit, make sure you get the kit you want. They have a xenon charged blue/white sealed beam conversion for $88.00 that comes with the housings. They also have a RealHID kit for $189.00 which also comes with the housings and ballasts and all hid hardware. Contact them if you can't find the HID version. They usually respond to emails within a hour or two.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Oh sweet, EuroLights makes a direct HID kit? Wow I never saw that. maybe it's new. Definitely wanna see pics of this! Thanks for the info man
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

You can also order the Eurolights without any bulbs for $68. I ordered a set of Phillips Xtreme power bulbs.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Launching!

I was installing my fogs today and one of the wires ripped out. It was the part that goes into the orginal housing and I tried to put it back together and it doesn't work

Can anyone please help me out. I have one fog in and one that isn't working and this frustrates me completely.....
Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

::question::

i have stock fog light housings..

i want bright fogs lights the cheapest way..

i was thinking of getting some silverstars from autozone.. the ones like this---- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sylva...Q5fAccessories
are those going to be bright? someone told me they would be WAAAY bright than a regular halogen...

some other things i have heard of are xenons PIAA and the hids..

which will be the cheapest and brightest.. i dont mind spending a LITTLE bit more if something is going to be far more superior..

suggestions/comments welcome and MUCH appreciated..

****KEEP YOUR ANSWERS NOOB ORIENTED!!! I AM ABOUT SPEED AND NO *NOTHING* ABOUT LIGHTING.. LINKS TO A PRODUCT OR WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!*****
Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iceman can
I was installing my fogs today and one of the wires ripped out. It was the part that goes into the orginal housing and I tried to put it back together and it doesn't work

Can anyone please help me out. I have one fog in and one that isn't working and this frustrates me completely.....
A wire ripped out of the housing..? Do you mean a wire came out of the original wiring harness? Did it break in half or did it rip OUT from the harness? If it split at a certain point you'd have to splice them back together, if it ripped clean outta the harness, then I'm not sure what to do. Someone a little more advanced then myself would be able to help you, you may have to solder the wire back in.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Hey lemons! I don't think I ever had other lights in my fogs, so I'm not sure. I have HIDs in my fogs but my housings are starting to melt, but new housings might just fix that. I can tell you this though, in my last Camaro I had silverstar headlights, and those were bitchin'. Not HID quality, but very good. Pure white HIDs would give you best lighting in the HID section, but a true projector would be the best.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey lemons! I don't think I ever had other lights in my fogs, so I'm not sure. I have HIDs in my fogs but my housings are starting to melt, but new housings might just fix that. I can tell you this though, in my last Camaro I had silverstar headlights, and those were bitchin'. Not HID quality, but very good. Pure white HIDs would give you best lighting in the HID section, but a true projector would be the best.
so if i just went and bought some silverstar lights for my fogs from autozone they would be really bright and satisfy me for the price you would guess?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 AM
11 Second Club

Idk if they would be really bright, all I can tell you is that in my Camaro the silverstars were better than stock, and white. I don't wanna say anything i'm not sure of lol

Quick Reply: Write-Up: Non-Projector HIDs for Firebird/Trans Am