Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Got some Projectors for christmas...Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008 | 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeZ
I think I figured out what you are talking about. There appears to be a little extra material left on the cutoff shield. If you look closely at the first pick of the inside of the projector you can see the extra material from where they cut it. I may need to get in there with a file and hit it a little and remove the little edge. Cuz that would make the cutoff not distinctive and give it that little dip that you see on the left of the stepped area.
Yeah.. I've got the same thing you're talking about on the shield.. looks as if thats how they're made. I like the file idea..
Old 12-26-2008 | 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm so maybe these are better projectors than this other style?

I have those (disabled the LEDs) running HIDs, they work OK and the cutoff is decent but seems the beam is kinda narrow.
Old 12-26-2008 | 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

^ I have the same ones too, they're ok, but not the best.
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:29 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

No, the bulb can only sit one way. There are 2 "nubs" on each side that only allow install 1 way.
I know it only fits one way, but if the bulb isn't seated 100% properly or if the retainer clip isn't on correctly, you can get an odd cut-off or bad output. I've done this and so have many others.

Are talking about the light about the cutoff when you say flare, or are you talking about the cutoff line not being perfectly straight?
The flare that I'm talking about is the extra light about the center of the cut-off. Although it could be a "squirrel finder"... Its and odd nickname, but its actually intended to help light up signs. If you take a pic further away, it will help determine if that is a flare or a squirrel finder.

The rest of the cut-off should be a straight stepped line like the other pics in this thread. Yours appears a bit wavy.

Weather permitting I will try to back the car out and get some 25ft shots of the pattern.
Cool. Thanks.

I think I figured out what you are talking about. There appears to be a little extra material left on the cutoff shield. If you look closely at the first pick of the inside of the projector you can see the extra material from where they cut it. I may need to get in there with a file and hit it a little and remove the little edge. Cuz that would make the cutoff not distinctive and give it that little dip that you see on the left of the stepped area.
Can you post a pic before you modify it? What extra piece are you talking about? The cut-off shield is supposed to be stepped. O wait, I think I see it. Do you mean that uneven little lump on the cut-off shield? Yeah that shouldn't be lumpy. It should be smooth.

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
The cut-off on this looks pretty good. The square of light above the cut-off is the "squirrel finder". Its intended to help light up road signs. Its basically a hole in the shield to let light through above the cut-off. Some people cover up the hole to keep the light down towards the road. I guess its personal preference. My projectors didn't have it so I don't really have any opinion either way. Although the ones in that picture seem a bit blotchy instead of an even square.

The light seems to be a more focused in the center typical of halogen projectors. Although that may just be a trick of the photo since its a bit blurry. Can you take a sharper one? It appears that the lights may be aimed towards each other. Aim them a bit further apart. The lights should be parallel in all directions (vertical, horizontal, etc). You'll get a wider, smoother beam.

The rotation appears slightly off (the cut-off lines to line up exactly), but that isn't anything you can fix since those projectors are adjustable in their housings.

Overally they look better than some other ebay projectors I've seen.

This thread is shaping up to be Lighting FAQ material.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-28-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2008 | 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

great pics and info here guys thanks! i saw these headlights the other month and was curious, you may have just sold me
Old 12-27-2008 | 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

A little OT but for the record, H3 bulbs suck, that clip thingy doesn't work the greatest and it barely fits around the HID bulb base since it is fatter than the standard bulbs.
Old 12-27-2008 | 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Nice pics corvettekid. I wish it wasn't winter here in Chicago so I could slap mine in and get some pics up. We just have to keep this thread alive for a few months and I'll get mine in.
Old 12-27-2008 | 10:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
A little OT but for the record, H3 bulbs suck, that clip thingy doesn't work the greatest and it barely fits around the HID bulb base since it is fatter than the standard bulbs.
True, H3 is decent for a fog light, but not good for a headlight.

It sounds like Corvettekid82 has the same housings as SunsetOrangeZ which use H1. Some H1 projectors do alright with HID. Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 12-27-2008 | 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

foglight? Dang that's where I've seen those H3 bulbs before, the foglights I had put on my old ford taurus I had used those! They used a screw to hold them in but the bulb was identical.
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:48 AM
Launching!

Nice pics corvettekid. I wish it wasn't winter here in Chicago so I could slap mine in and get some pics up. We just have to keep this thread alive for a few months and I'll get mine in.
I'll keep it goin for as long as I can

I'll try and take better (focused) pictures of the cut off but my camera totally sucks on the auto setting in the dark, I'll have to play with some of the settings. I'm also anxious to aim them better.. I do believe they are aimed at eachother so that needs to be fixed... that and the "step" on the cut off lense, that makes no sense to me.
Old 12-28-2008 | 01:53 PM
Teching In

I wish they had those for T/A's...........
Old 12-28-2008 | 10:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

I'll try and take better (focused) pictures of the cut off but my camera totally sucks on the auto setting in the dark, I'll have to play with some of the settings.
Cool. Thanks. You might have to play with some manual settings.

the "step" on the cut off lense, that makes no sense to me.
What about it makes no sense? Its existence or something I said about it? The step exists so that there is more light in front of the driver and to the right but not in the eyes of the drivers in the on-coming lane on the left. In countries where they drive on the left, the step is reversed.

Originally Posted by Bret's WS6
I wish they had those for T/A's...........
Check out the Lighting FAQ. I have projectors and so to others. Its not a direct bolt-on, but with some work you can install projectors. My write-up and others are listed in the Lighting FAQ. I have updated my cut-off shields again and haven't posted pics yet in that thread. Their current appearance is much better than the pics I have there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 12-29-2008 | 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Cool. Thanks. You might have to play with some manual settings.

What about it makes no sense? Its existence or something I said about it? The step exists so that there is more light in front of the driver and to the right but not in the eyes of the drivers in the on-coming lane on the left. In countries where they drive on the left, the step is reversed.
I just didnt understand why they would be produced that way (its existance), but when you put it that way it makes sense.
In both the OPs pics and in mine it shows a drastic step in the projection, is that the way it should be? Mine are made just like the pics shown with the cutoff shield in this shape: __/
I would think it would be a nice even line with no step in it and just aim them properly, but i guess its a safty precaution
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

In both the OPs pics and in mine it shows a drastic step in the projection, is that the way it should be?
Your step height and shape look normal.

Mine are made just like the pics shown with the cutoff shield in this shape: __/
You're cut-off looks more like this ____/---- instead of ____/
Those are the two basic designs,
but ____/---- is much more common and generally preferred.
Old 12-29-2008 | 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Quote from Corvettekid82..Keep in mind I have no idea how to properly aim the headlights... I think I need to move them further up and further out to each side.

THESE ARE NOT PICS OF THE PROJECTORS FOR OUR CARS, just examples for corvettekid82 to help him aim his.

Here are some factory hid projector beam patterns. Try to get as close to these as possible for optimum light output.

Here's an aftermarket one. Not as defined but close..

Hope this aids in properly aiming them.
Old 12-29-2008 | 09:17 PM
Launching!

Cool, thanks for the tips guys... it did help. I'm still struggling with adjustments. Up and down is easy, but the left and right isnt working well for me. The screw moves them left and right for a bit, but then starts moving them down the further out they go. I think I'm gonna try some spacers from lowes. If that doesnt help, I'll try and open up the lights this weekend and adjust the projector itself.. and if that doesnt work I'll try the stock headlight brackets.

Old 12-29-2008 | 10:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

I think I'm gonna try some spacers from lowes. If that doesnt help, I'll try and open up the lights this weekend and adjust the projector itself.. and if that doesnt work I'll try the stock headlight brackets.
If these are like the other Camaro projector housings, the projectors are not adjustable in the housing. Your best bet if you run out of adjustment in the adjuster screws would probably be to use washers between the bracket and car to space out the headlights.
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

So let me get a bette understanding here.
The halo's and LED's are wired up with the fogs so they are on when the fogs are in use, and the center beams are just your regular bulbs hid or not?
-Matt
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I can tell these already have a better cut off. As stated you may have to add a spacer between the headlight and bracket to give you more room to adjust the lights.
Old 12-30-2008 | 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Guz
I can tell these already have a better cut off.
Agree. Drat I should have bought these instead but the cheaper price I saw them at made me think they were probably worse Oh well.

Quick Reply: Got some Projectors for christmas...Pics!