Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Got some Projectors for christmas...Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i have another thread on here but I'll ask in here. What are the better housings? I've seen the twin halo housings from around $100 to $250 and they all look about the same. Are some better than others? I had a pair of the old single halo's i paid about $120 for a few years ago and they sucked. With halogen bulbs you can't see **** my fogged up stockers were better. And to adjust them right they had huge gaps.the rubber surround started coming off right after i got them.Are the new ones better? Better build quality? what are the best ones to get?Just talking about the halo's not the hid's I'll get to that later LOL! Sorry for the Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
So let me get a bette understanding here.
The halo's and LED's are wired up with the fogs so they are on when the fogs are in use
You can wire them up any way you want.

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
the center beams are just your regular bulbs hid or not?
Outer lights are low beam.
Inner lights are high beam.
Just like stock.

These are halogen projectors for the low beam and halogen reflectors for the high beam, but you can get a HID kit for the low beam projectors.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

looks good but how do you like having fog lights for head lights?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Actually H1 bulbs are not that bad. They are better than the H3's the eagle eye projectors use.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fine. On the Sonar brand they use H1 bulbs (mostly for headlamps, not fogs like the H3) and, IMO, are better than the stock set(s) I had on there.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I think you are mixing things up. True, H3 are typically used for fog lights, but these projectors are H1. H1 bulbs are often used in high beam reflectors and some projectors (usually aftermarket projectors though).
Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dave70
Ok i have another thread on here but I'll ask in here. What are the better housings? I've seen the twin halo housings from around $100 to $250 and they all look about the same. Are some better than others? I had a pair of the old single halo's i paid about $120 for a few years ago and they sucked. With halogen bulbs you can't see **** my fogged up stockers were better. And to adjust them right they had huge gaps.the rubber surround started coming off right after i got them.Are the new ones better? Better build quality? what are the best ones to get?Just talking about the halo's not the hid's I'll get to that later LOL! Sorry for the Thanks guys!!!
wondering the same thing....
Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone? Anyone? What type do y'all have any complaints? How much did you pay etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Eagle Eye projectors. These were one of the first projectors released for camaro's. They use an H3 bulb for the projector and the factory high beam bulb. The light output is not that great and the cut off is not that great.

These projectors came out about the same time as the eagle eye one's. These supposedly use an H1 bulb. I am not 100% sure they do. I also am not sure how the light output is as well as how the cut off looks.

Sonar projectors. These projectors were just released. They use an H1 bulb which is much better for light output. As you can see in this thread, these seem to have a better cut off.

They are all listed as projectors on ebay and not by manufacturer.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice!! i like the those headlights
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
Cool, thanks for the tips guys... it did help. I'm still struggling with adjustments. Up and down is easy, but the left and right isnt working well for me. The screw moves them left and right for a bit, but then starts moving them down the further out they go. I think I'm gonna try some spacers from lowes. If that doesnt help, I'll try and open up the lights this weekend and adjust the projector itself.. and if that doesnt work I'll try the stock headlight brackets.

Looks like your getting the adjust almost down. It still looks like you could get away with spreding them out a bit more. They look very concentrated in the middle.

Just an FYI, on the bottom of the housing there is phillips head screw that you can adjust and it will push out the bottom of the headlight.
Circled in pic

Adjusting this will essentially tilt the headlight up, and this will allow more adjustment as well as close up any gaps you might have. Just like the other type of projectors where the guys had to use washers to close the gaps, these housing don't need them. You can just turn out that screw it is plenty long. I'll get more pics of this adjustment this weekend.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah found that one out yesterday, thank you for the tip.

Here is what else I found from playing with them yesterday:
-Up and down adjustment on these is a PITA. They need to make a screw to turn like the left and right adjustment has.

-Stock headlight brackets will not work with the Sonars unless you modify them. The socket where the wires for the halos plug in gets in the way.

-Spacers will help adjustments.. the writeup says 3/4 inch. I only needed 1/4 inch. The phillips head screw you show in your picture is a great tip for minor adjustments. It is nowhere as long as the stock bolt in the same location tho.. I swapped the stock bolts into the sonars for more adjustment just incase I needed it, even tho the sonars would have worked fine.

-Once my spacers were in, they were extreamly tough to get installed again. Simple fix. Remove the 5 plastic push pins that hold the bumper cover in place and peel it back a little from the support foam. It will give you all the extra room you need to work without the headache of jamming it in otherwise.

I think I got the aiming down to where I want them, I'll take pics when it gets dark.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

im thinking of doing these in black. i have the original single halos, with low beam HID's, but the light is rediculously bright to other drivers. if i put my HID bulbs i already have in these housings, i will be set?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Default UPDATE...finally installed the projectors

Overall I am satisfied. The output is way better than the stock housing, and I think the projectors don't look ricey at all. The install went smooth and once I got them in, they felt like they fit tighter than the factory ones. There is a minor gap on them but nothing too noticeable. I have not had a chance to adjust them 100% yet (chicago winter), but I am confident that it won't be too much of a PITA.

And sorry but the car is a bit dusty from being in storage.

Anybody that is hesitant about buying them, don't be. They are alot better than the older projectors.
I have not hooked up the halos or leds and I probably won't. Maybe in the spring.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Default Here is the beam pattern and cutoff shots.

Sorry but I had to do this against a black garage door, but you can get the picture.

Cutoff is very distinct, and looks good. It seems like the beam is a bit on an angle, but I am sure I can get that worked out.

From about 5-6ft out.

From about 20-25ft out (2 car lengths) note the width as well, very good.

you can see the slight angle on the passenger side. Its higher on the left than on the right. You can see on the gate where the passenger side cutoff continues higher than the driver's side. Probably can adjust that out.

Zooming in on cutoff

Head on, kinda pointless but I'll post it anyways (sorry blurry too)

And these were all with the regular H1 bulbs installed that came with the housing. They are very bright even with the regular bulbs. I can't wait to slap in a HID kit and see how much more output I can get.

LMK what you guys think.

Last edited by SunsetOrangeZ; 01-06-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeZ
And these were all with the regular H3 bulbs installed that came with the housing.
Don't you mean H1?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow that cutoff actually doesn't look that bad for ebay projectors, defin the best out of the three different styles that are out.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks really good! I have been thinkin about gettin that set in black for my hids..
Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

#@W*&%^@ I should have gotten those instead of mine, I have the first set and while they are OK those are cheaper and look like they work better

Definitely want to see how they look with HIDs in them.

Who wants to buy some lightly used projectors? I'll sell them cheap! With HID bulbs too (no ballasts).
(I'm serious here.)

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 01-13-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic... I guess I'll add these to my *to do* list.

Quick Reply: Got some Projectors for christmas...Pics!