Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Too cold for tints???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too cold for tints???

This may be a stupid question, but I dont know.
When I had the rear tinted, he said leave it in the sun if possable, I did, and most of the bubbles went.

Well it's cold here now, (below freezing at times) and want the front windows tinting.
He tints indoors with the garage doors open for better light.
Would I be wise to wait untill warmer weather to get them tinted, I want them to look as good as possable?
Thanks..........
Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

i just got my truck's windows tinted on Tuesday and it's been between 10-30* here in Oklahoma. if your tinter is any good the weather shouldn't matter. my windows are perfect.....

good luck

mac
Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Default Another point of view...

I want my tint guy (me in my case) to b e as comfortable as possible. If your guy is cold and his fingers cramping up, he's lible to rush and make mistakes.

I doubt the tint will react any differently, but it may not want to comply with curves as well, especially the rear window. Granted, a heat gun can be used, but if his fingers and hands are freezing , since you said he likes to leave the garage door open for the light, he'll probably do a better job when he's tasty warm.

My $0.02.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep just wait til its warm. like the above poster said the tinter itself is going to make all the difference. plus its nice to let them dry out on a hot summer day.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

I tint windows on the side, If any moisture is left between the window and the tint (Which is always going to happen) and the car is outside in freezing temps for a period of time the moisture inside of the tint will freeze in between and ruin it. If you have a heated place to keep the car for 1-2 days after the tint is put on allowing the adhesive to cure and the moisture to evaporate you should be fine. I did a couple of Impalas a couple weeks ago and they were left inside for two days and they turned out fine.

Just don't drive home and leave it sitting outside if temperatures are below freezing. Summer is always the best time to tint windows. So if you are really wanting it done you should be fine, just know there are some risks if you do it below freezing.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wold stick fine but the problem with doing them now is the drying... in this kind of weather theyre going to take a while to dry.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, tempted to leave it a while untill it warms up a bit then, shame I wanted them done ASAP.
I Guess it does mean I can get the Konis sooner. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

got mine done in 30 degree weather, left back window defroster on at all times and kept heat cranked while i was driving. they came out perfect. from what i hear my tinter is one of the best in the whoe area. not a single imperfection
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
got mine done in 30 degree weather, left back window defroster on at all times and kept heat cranked while i was driving. they came out perfect. from what i hear my tinter is one of the best in the whoe area. not a single imperfection
who tinted them? im from pittsburgh and know alot of the bigger name guys that tint

Quick Reply: Too cold for tints???