Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

well i got my upholstered seats back today, but i may not be able to assemble them

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default well i got my upholstered seats back today, but i may not be able to assemble them

I got the front seats back today and i'm beginning to regret reupholstering my seats unfortunately.

they also did not cut out any of the holes for the bolts and left 2 bolts tightened under the leather that i have to go get out of there by way of taking part of the lower cover off and removing the bolts.

for whatever reason i think the rear seats ive done myself look better than the fronts do. or at least i am able to get the rears back together.

i spent $250 and now have front seats i may not be able to use. none of the holes line up for the screws on the sides and on the drivers seat i can't even get the side panels close enough to even attempt to put them together. the passenger seat leg adjuster piece is very loose and the upholstery guy suggested i cut off the clips and glue it instead which i'm not thrilled about. but that is the least of my problems because i can't even get the seats back together the way they are now to even worry about that.

so far i've spent over $650 on the leather kit and the labor for what was done today. argh.

anyway here's a few pics.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry man. the whole i was thinking that it was way too much work. you have bought some airizen (sp) seats or corbeau seats and been done with it.

Hope it all works for you
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
sorry man. the whole i was thinking that it was way too much work. you have bought some airizen (sp) seats or corbeau seats and been done with it.

Hope it all works for you
well i wanted stock seats. i dont care for racing seats at all.

i'm not sure if i should jerry rig them like drill new holes or what? the passenger seat i can possibly get back together but the drivers seat i'm not so sure. i should have had the guy disassemble them recover them and then put them back together instead of trying to do it myself but i was trying to save money. if it wasn't for GM discontinuing those side panels they would have been on the covers when i got them and i probably wouldn't have all this trouble now.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

In this pic, the foam doesn't appear to be fully seated (look at where/how its notched). Try adjusting it. It also looks like the back piece should be higher. This is just a possible observation though. I haven't disassembled the leather seats before, I have disassembled the bottoms of my cloth stock seats though for repairs.

Also, what exactly did you pay for? Did you pay them to custom reupholster the seats or install pre-made covers? Did you give them the seats fully assembled or disassembled? If you gave them fully assembled seats and they returned disassembled seats to you, they didn't complete the job and should not be paid full price.

Last edited by VIP1; 01-20-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Looking at this pics, do these covers have an added foam backer? If so, that is contributing to the holes not lining up since everything is now thicker, but it probably shouldn't be off by as much as in your pics.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah i have a feeling the guy didn't sew the plastic pieces exactly into the right spot which means i'm probably screwed now. i mean i can get the seats back together but without the backing i think they'd look ugly

and yeah that foam unde the drivers seat is brand new and for whatever reason i can't get it to go down any more than that and apparantly neither could he since i gave him the foam not attatched to the seat and he had the other one to look at (left the passanger seat foam in place)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

well i got the lower portions put together and found something kind of nasty on the outer drivers upper cushion. it almost looks like a burn mark of some sort. And i still can't get it to even come close to where it needs to be to attach the rear plastic thing with the netting on it or the outer rear cover

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-20-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember your PM...

If you're willing to ship them I'd give em my best to make them work, I know you've thrown a bunch of money at these...

For them to do these kinds of seats properly they need the entire frame there to work with, looks like they messed up pretty good when attaching your plastic sides....

-Rick
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's alot of little tricks you can do to make them bottom seats tuck properly, those look like they just need some pulling in the right directions... the uppers could be a hassle though...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also your uppers don't look like the foam is properly attached... they need to slide up about 3"...

The foam should be on the frame first, and then roll the cover onto it...

Did you just put the cover on the foam and slide the foam onto the metal frame?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Also your uppers don't look like the foam is properly attached... they need to slide up about 3"...

The foam should be on the frame first, and then roll the cover onto it...

Did you just put the cover on the foam and slide the foam onto the metal frame?
the passenger side foam never left the seat. the drivers side i gave to him on the frame but not hogringed down. it was a brand new cushion and i think that might be part of the problem.

i just took everything back there and am having them assemble the seats and i gave them pics of how it should look so i hope they can get it right. what sucks is its probably gonna cost me another $100+ but at least they will be assembled

FWIW they had all the frames there. the only thing i didnt have them do was put the 2 together and finsih off the assembly. now i am having them do that because i can't figure out how to get them together right (like i can't stretch the seat cover far enough to get to the bolts on the drivers seat ,etc)

i got the bottoms pretty much done so i took them back to the shop with the seat recline mechanism and the lower seat frame is now on the drivers seat too (i didn't have that for them)

i'm almost wondering if i should have just taken the seats to them fully assembled in the first place. initially i was only going to have them do the sewing of the side pieces but then i decided to have them put everything together on the front seats except the rear covers and headrests which i figured i could do myself since i took them off, but since everything didn't line up i had to take them back

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-20-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I prefer to do everything myself, from start to finish... I hate coming in half way through a project...

Hopefully they can get it right...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The foam isn't always fully cut in some spots, and requires trimming, I suspect that is a small problem here...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

take them back
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From those pics they didn't do a very good job I don't know what to tell you on that one, i'd call them back and have a lil talk with whoever did them to have them fixed.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sway99bird
From those pics they didn't do a very good job I don't know what to tell you on that one, i'd call them back and have a lil talk with whoever did them to have them fixed.
i dropped them off this afternoon and showed them how the seats are supposed to go together along with a few pictures of some seats i got off of autotrader to show them how they are supposed to go together. i hope he can get them put together right.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

the shop did get the seats assembled properly. it cost another $200 in labor but they are done and back in the car along with the rear seats which i put in today after receiving a new seat handle

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-26-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look brand new! You say you're in IN? Where about? I have terrible white leather seats and would love to get new foam and leather put on, but with red inserts... I know places sell covers, but I want them to look factory stock and feel new.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Look brand new! You say you're in IN? Where about? I have terrible white leather seats and would love to get new foam and leather put on, but with red inserts... I know places sell covers, but I want them to look factory stock and feel new.
the kit i got was the one from hawks3rdgenparts. the kit was only $424 but i ended up spending around $500 in labor, a new drivers seat pad, and tools. (the kit came with hogrings and plyers but i had to buy a decent set of cutters, a screwdriver set with a pozidrive head, and some velcro for the rear seats) so all together it was a bit more than $900 which is a lot more than i expected to pay (i was expecting ~ $600 or so, but ran into the problem with the front seats that set me back an additonal $250, since i was originally quoted $200 for the sewing/install of the front covers and i figured i'd be able to just bolt the seats back together myself)

the whole reason i took the front seats to the shop in the first place is because on a T/A if you want to keep those plastic side accordian looking pieces, you have to have yours cut off and sewn into the new upholstery because GM no longer makes those pieces. here is a pic of a GTA convertible i found with the same kit (only for 3rd gens obviously) and he didn't put them back in. i think the seats look weird w/o them.

Quick Reply: well i got my upholstered seats back today, but i may not be able to assemble them