Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mecham T/A Hood Detail Shots

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mecham T/A Hood Detail Shots

As the title states I would like some detail shots of the mecham hood if its possible. It doesnt seem to be a very widely used hood so pics are hard to find. Also, if anyone knows about the quality of this hood input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I was shopping for an LS1 that hood caught my eye as well, I can't really help you with pictures but I've heard that the quality of the hoods are very poor and it cost the buyer alot to just get it in good enough shape to paint, but I've never owned one so I couldn't tell ya from first hand experience just thought I'd tell you what I have read/heard.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Teching In

i Know a guy that has a mecham TA. he sent his car out to there shop to have all the work done so i cant say what the hood would be like if you got it shiped than painted and installed locally. but the fit and finish on his is great it looks as good or better than factory fit and finish. sorry i dont have any pics either. i really like that hood but what gets me every time is that mecham wing!!!! i love it.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

a guy had what i believe was that hood on here. he took it to a body shop that refused to do it. they'd have to fit it ad all, but then they said the material would make the paint job not last and it wouldn't look good after a while. that place might have been full of crap though.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Hmmm...ok so mixed results I guess? I really like the hood due to its uniqueness so Idk wat to do! lol
Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a guy had what i believe was that hood on here. he took it to a body shop that refused to do it. they'd have to fit it ad all, but then they said the material would make the paint job not last and it wouldn't look good after a while. that place might have been full of crap though.
Yep that was me...they said the laying of the fiberglass was so poor that it would show thru the paint, even with primering it twice (which is what they do on the worse aftermarket hoods). He also said that i could maybe pull it off on a normal color like red or black, but on a metallic color it would dull eventually, something to do with the double primering they would have to do to it because of the bad fiberglass work....

And this wasnt even talking about the fit, it stood up about a WHOLE INCH above both headlights, it was obvious it would take ALOT of cash and man hours to make it even close to right....

I still have the hood in my garage, gonna craigs list it or something, i found a OEM WS6 hood in my color and never looked back....
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys buying true Macham hoods or knockoffs? Just wondering b/c a local here (ChevyChad on here) has a Mecham hood on his T/A & it's amazing. I have also seen a few other authentic Mecham hood that looked just as flawless as a stocker.

And I have never heard of 2 coats of primer affecting the paint job in the way described above. Your primer should not affect your final color at all if the paint shop is worth a ****. Otherwise ALOT of hoods would look off instead of perfectly matched. If they prime it correctly & lay a proper base then metallic it shouldn't be a problem unless they are tryin to cut corners & worried it might be noticeable on aftermarket non-metal hoods.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

search for bluestrat he has mecum hood
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_Deathproof
As the title states I would like some detail shots of the mecham hood if its possible. It doesnt seem to be a very widely used hood so pics are hard to find. Also, if anyone knows about the quality of this hood input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
It looks cool.
It's rare.
It's crappy quality, otherwise I don't think it'd be so rare.

Expect to spend a truckload of money on fitment/paint if you order that hood.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are my pics, i dont know how many or how detailed you need so here a a lot of pics, as you go further down the older the pics are.... this is the latest version of their hood. the hood quality has very much improved over the years at mecham, we had little to no fitment issues, as well as very little problems with waves in the hood itself.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 PM

Awesome pics dude, ok ya im definitly gonna go with the mecham, I appreciate the help!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

good looking bird and hood. have any inside the car pics?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

That hood is def badass!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
good looking bird and hood. have any inside the car pics?
this is what it currently looks like, cage will be installed over the spring....
Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM

While were on this subject, does anyone have pics of the mecham wing?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Mecham has apparently improved their quality with the newer hood design, so you're probably OK if you buy new from them.
The hood I got from them for my old 99 TA was *crap*. If you go to my pics link in my sig, there are pictures of my old TA and you can see some shots of the old style Mecham hood.

Good luck...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad quality, or good quality-i dont think it matters to most. Have you ever seen a used mecham hood for sale? No matter what it takes, people must be thrilled with them becuase i have never once saw a mecham hood for sale. It will be worth it to me, i love that hood! The newer style also has been slightly redesigned, Bigger/reshaped nostrils and wider vents from what i understand
Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally bought a Mecham hood when i had my paint and body work done. I was extremely disappointed in the quality and fit of it, my body guy didn't even want to touch it cause of all the work it was going to take to make it nice. It wasn't even the fitment issue so much as it was the gaps around the front bumper cover. I called Mecham about it, he argued with me saying they are ready for paint out of the box (not with gaps like that). Anyway long story short, he would only refunded me 80% of my $900 that i payed for the hood, plus i was out the shipping both ways . Needless to say I am not much of a Mecham fan anymore. Now not to say that you can't get a good one, but like i said those gaps are just pretty bad

Here are some pics of it on my car (fitted as good as we could get it)

Last edited by fitz98ta; 01-22-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

^^^^^^^^^^^^

on your sig, the mecham hood looks fine to me...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

i dont have a mecham hood, but i got a mecham Bird on my firehawk hood

Quick Reply: Mecham T/A Hood Detail Shots