Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Lambo Clear Coat Polishing-Today's Photo Essay

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Car looks amazing!

How much is a ball park estimate of having a car fully detailed? I really want to have my Trans-Am detailed, but I drive it alot and I don't want to spend that $$ and have it looking back the way it was shortly after.
I start at $150 and up depending on the level of service wanted by the customer. Having someone detail a car and inexpensive cost may not go hand in hand. Depending on the severity and depth of the scratches, removal can be time and labor intensive. You can have someone do this for you and it may last as little as you expect or you can become of the many who take on the chore of keeping up the surface themselves. The maintenance process continues even after the detailer leaves. We can help you with that. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks absolutely awesome as always Steve. Question for ya, why did you use a white and blue pad with the SIP rather than an orange/white pad combo? Is it because this Lambo has a soft clear coat? Just curious

I recently went at my whole car with the kit I got from you for Christmas. I went around the whole car with SIP and orange pad, then I did swirl cutter with white pad, and blue for wax (hope I did that right) and there are still some swirls. I thought I was breaking down the polish enough, how would I know when its broken down enough to buff off?

Also what do you suggest as the PROPER way to wash/dry without making more swirls. Having a red car, anytime being in the sun I'll see them and want to cry.
Sorry for all the questions, I wanna learn from the best
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Looks absolutely awesome as always Steve. Question for ya, why did you use a white and blue pad with the SIP rather than an orange/white pad combo? Is it because this Lambo has a soft clear coat? Just curious

I recently went at my whole car with the kit I got from you for Christmas. I went around the whole car with SIP and orange pad, then I did swirl cutter with white pad, and blue for wax (hope I did that right) and there are still some swirls. I thought I was breaking down the polish enough, how would I know when its broken down enough to buff off?

Also what do you suggest as the PROPER way to wash/dry without making more swirls. Having a red car, anytime being in the sun I'll see them and want to cry.
Sorry for all the questions, I wanna learn from the best
With the soft clear coat, I was getting some light marring. I did some testing to see the effects with the softer pads/chemicals for future reference.

As for your car, you have seen the gradual improvement in the surface smoothness and clarity in the beginning of your process. Some of the remaining lines you see are the remnants of the deeper random and circular scratches. Select a small area (1' x 1') and make another pass with the SIP/orange pad combo, white pad follow up and you'll see even greater response. Work for about 1-2 minutes until the product is nearly clear on the surface. Wipe it down and check for results.

For regular maintenance washing, I can use the 2-bucket method or pre-soak with the foam gun. Start by lightly rinsing off the loose surface dirt and road grime. Fill one bucket which contains your clean soapy solution water and the other clear rinse water. Dip the wash mitt into the soap bucket and lightly swab the panel starting at the top of the car. After swabbing each panel, dip to mitt into the rinse bucket to remove all the soap suds and remaining surface dirt. Once cleaned, dip back in the soap bucket and continue onto the next panel while rinsing the mitt after each section. Work your way lower down the body as you progress. To insure you are not picking up any dirt or sand in the mitt, insert a grit guard or plastic collander/strainer upside down in the bucket. Once completed, you can rinse the soap suds to prevent any spotting. I lightly wipe down the surface with a clean waffle weave drying towel to remove the remaining water. I've read where others have used a blower to push the water off and lightly blot up any remaining moisture.

After washing, a follow up with detail spray/microfiber towel can remove any light moisture spotting. For the occasional fine line that may appear over time, a white pad/Swirl Cutter pass will make quick work of the blemishes. Reapply the wax or sealant to maintain consistent protection.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hijack this thread, but is this normally the steps taken in order from begining to end? Or am I missing something?

Wash Rinse
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greekey
Not to hijack this thread, but is this normally the steps taken in order from begining to end? Or am I missing something?

Wash Rinse
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax
In a nutshell, that's the general outline of the process. It can be very basic for regular maintenance or very elaborate for heavy correction and restoration.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Steve,

Glad to see the Menzerna product line is working well for you. I was wondering if you were going to pick them up.

You really can't go wrong with that product line. Have you checked out their new Cerami-clear products and nano polishes? I just dropped a few hundred on a Flex, all new pads and the Menzerna updated products.

I've since done about 4 details and I can say that the new IP dusts a hell of a lot less than previous versions but it's still there.

As for the 4" pads, trust Steve when he says this people, if you detail any car other than an F-body, chances are that you'll want a 4" pad selection in your arsenal.

Steve - Looks great as usual!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I missed it, but what product did you use with the blue pad to get rid of the micro marring?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks a lot Steve, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
I start at $150 and up depending on the level of service wanted by the customer. Having someone detail a car and inexpensive cost may not go hand in hand. Depending on the severity and depth of the scratches, removal can be time and labor intensive. You can have someone do this for you and it may last as little as you expect or you can become of the many who take on the chore of keeping up the surface themselves. The maintenance process continues even after the detailer leaves. We can help you with that. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions.
$150 starting is pretty cheap considering your gonna bring the shine back and remove swirls. Cheaper then a paint job. Very nice work.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whytryz28
$150 starting is pretty cheap considering your gonna bring the shine back and remove swirls. Cheaper then a paint job. Very nice work.
heck i just did a car tht was WAY worse than that lambo for $100, check out my thread!! gotta start cheap to get word-of-mouth
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Likestogofast
Maybe I missed it, but what product did you use with the blue pad to get rid of the micro marring?
In that picture, I wanted to see the effect of the black wax on a small section to catch a glimpse of the finished effect.

I had the best results using the white "KOMPRESSOR" and 4" CCS pad at slower speeds on the FLEX to get the most clarity.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet
Steve,

Glad to see the Menzerna product line is working well for you. I was wondering if you were going to pick them up.

You really can't go wrong with that product line. Have you checked out their new Cerami-clear products and nano polishes? I just dropped a few hundred on a Flex, all new pads and the Menzerna updated products.

I've since done about 4 details and I can say that the new IP dusts a hell of a lot less than previous versions but it's still there.

As for the 4" pads, trust Steve when he says this people, if you detail any car other than an F-body, chances are that you'll want a 4" pad selection in your arsenal.

Steve - Looks great as usual!
Thanks again.

As you may tell, we have been promoting the use of SIP pretty highly for use on the f-body cars here. I may have to hold a detail demo day locally to show the advances in products just in the last year. Interest?

In the last 2 weekend tradeshows, we allowed people to test out the FLEX/SIP/LC KOMPRESSOR pads on several demo cars for their own evaluations. #1 response: Much smoother rotation and quicker correction response compared to the PC by current PC owners.

The 4" pads are great for spot correction to as you are spinning less pad surface while getting faster results.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
heck i just did a car tht was WAY worse than that lambo for $100, check out my thread!! gotta start cheap to get word-of-mouth
$150 seems to be a bench mark number for "detail" around the US. With the economy of today, many owners will have a hard time justifying this expense since they may not understand the time and labor intensive process used to bring about these types of results. As you said, lower pricing may be in order as your develop your business. But if your are confident in your work and the finish shows it, you shouldn't have to give away your work too much longer for the sake of getting new projects. I wouldn't be too concerned about pricing of other area detailers or shops. If the customer is satisfied with your finished result, you'll know soon enough. The word of mouth is the miost effective way of getting new business.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks again.

As you may tell, we have been promoting the use of SIP pretty highly for use on the f-body cars here. I may have to hold a detail demo day locally to show the advances in products just in the last year. Interest?

In the last 2 weekend tradeshows, we allowed people to test out the FLEX/SIP/LC KOMPRESSOR pads on several demo cars for their own evaluations. #1 response: Much smoother rotation and quicker correction response compared to the PC by current PC owners.

The 4" pads are great for spot correction to as you are spinning less pad surface while getting faster results.

I wish I lived closer. I'd be right there beside ya with my Flex. It really is a "horse of a different color". It's light years ahead of the PC that I have been using for the past three years. I was a bit reluctant because of the price and having already bought a PC but I figured what the hell. It was a great decision!

I'm working on a few before and afters of the Flex/SIP/LC orange/yellow pads and a step down with the Nano and white LC pad. It makes a world of difference!

I'll post pictures up soon on my 2002 black on black Camaro and let everyone see the true workings of the Flex vs Porter Cable. It's amazing.

I had some of those scratches that can't be felt with a finger nail but are still there after the most aggressive combo on the PC. As soon as I got my Flex, I attacked those same scratches with the same compound and pad as the PC but with the Flex...GONE.

The only problem that I've come up on is with the forced rotation of the Flex, it's a bit harder to control than the nancy *** PC. I really like how quick it produces results though as well as a better quality end product. It literally cuts buffing time in HALF...yes, I said it...IN HALF.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Steve. Just figured I would say what's up and let you know a bit of my experience with the new shineys.

Flex on the girlfriend's car...

Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

$150 seems to be a bench mark number for "detail" around the US. With the economy of today, many owners will have a hard time justifying this expense since they may not understand the time and labor intensive process used to bring about these types of results. As you said, lower pricing may be in order as your develop your business. But if your are confident in your work and the finish shows it, you shouldn't have to give away your work too much longer for the sake of getting new projects. I wouldn't be too concerned about pricing of other area detailers or shops. If the customer is satisfied with your finished result, you'll know soon enough. The word of mouth is the miost effective way of getting new business.
thanks for that steve! its not really a "business" its just somethin ive started doing on the side to make a few bucks! this is something that i really enjoy doing though. the look on owner's faces and the smile they have after they recieve their car back when theyy thought it was needing a new paint job is priceless to me. its very rewarding for me to surprise people and have them overwelmed at how their car turned out!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Kyle:

Good luck as your sideline venture continues to grow. I hope you'll check out some of our products and accessories when the need arises to restock.

02BB:

No problem.

I bought the FLEX to satisfy my own curiosity before adding it to our line up. I see you have been bitten by the FLEX bug like me. You are dead on when you say it is something completely different. Some scratches and moderate swirling that are outside the PC correction range can be handled with the FLEX.

Most will tend to shy away from it at first because the price premium compared to the PC. However, their minds will start to change as soon as they demo it for themselves. The time savings and correction ability will more than absorb the extra $100.00 cost within the first badly marred car.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Amazing work, I would get you to do my TA if it wasnt so far away.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raptorws6
Amazing work, I would get you to do my TA if it wasnt so far away.
im not too far away
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want your job.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
i want your job.
If you mean me, are you ready to invest 75+ hours a week and up now that spring is coming?

And I enjoy every minute of it.

Quick Reply: Lambo Clear Coat Polishing-Today's Photo Essay