Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detail: '97 Mustang Cobra w/5500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail: '97 Mustang Cobra w/5500 miles

Last week I traveled to do this low mileage Cobra for the customer. The surface had been previously washed and clay barred. To get started, I applied painter's tape to all the plastic and rubber trim to insure against any accidental scuffing with the buffing pads.

Example of the fine scratches and dull haze from routine washing and drying:

Typical factory paint thickness:

None of the surface scratches were very deep. I tested combinations of the white Kompressor pad and orange CCS pad for their effectiveness to clean up the surface. Most of the very light lines removed very easily with the FLEX polisher/white K pad and Menzerna SIP. For the remaining deeper ones, I switched to the orange to remove those.:

After polishing:

To complete today's process, an application of Tropi Care TC-3 "Sunburst" Sealant xP using a LC blue CCS finishing pad resulted in quick drying on the surface. Tires were dressed with our water based TC-15 Tire and Rubber Dressing.:

After the wipedown:

According to the owner and several others I talked to, this model comes with a tinted clear coat finish.

Actual mileage:

Rear seat has never been sat in:

Questions/comments welcomed.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 05-01-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that looks amazing!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Thats looks awesome Steve. Thanks for the fast shipping on the PC yesterday. I cant wait to finally use one.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sorry for the incomplete title description as I accidentally posted the thread before I was done with it.

Thanks for the early comments so far.

mvls1:
Thanks for your business. Feel free to contact me with any questions once you get started.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great. I couldn't help but notice that the interior looks like 2 recliners and a sofa in there, haha.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, this picture looks like part of the panel is clean and the other part hasn't even been washed yet!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Nice detail. I just don't understand why people buy cars and rarely drive them though, especially fast cars.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Launching!

SWeet ride, looks mad good

i been wanting to detail my car too,

how did u get out the dull haze out? wht did u used
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know Steve, being that you use these products everday and what not. I am sure as hell glad you understand what your doing.. b/c i sure as hell do not

That is prolly why i never have ordered anything yet. B/C of the fact i have no idea what i would need to order to get my paint shining again.

Got any tips? My car is not a DD, never sees rain/snow. I always hand wash it when it is dirty. Last year i washed my car 3 timed b/c i never drove the car. And at the end of every year, i clay the car and wax it using a buffer but i never get the same results as that

ohhh and i miss my 97 laser red GT
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HWI
Nice detail. I just don't understand why people buy cars and rarely drive them though, especially fast cars.
Most of those miles are from the track.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

good work as always, though it seems like this wasnt too tough of a project. really nice ride...and anyone else notice the three miles of plug wires? haha
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You know Steve, being that you use these products everday and what not. I am sure as hell glad you understand what your doing.. b/c i sure as hell do not

That is prolly why i never have ordered anything yet. B/C of the fact i have no idea what i would need to order to get my paint shining again.

Got any tips? My car is not a DD, never sees rain/snow. I always hand wash it when it is dirty. Last year i washed my car 3 timed b/c i never drove the car. And at the end of every year, i clay the car and wax it using a buffer but i never get the same results as that

ohhh and i miss my 97 laser red GT
Lots of practice with new products, reading, trial and experimentation. At some point everybody started as a beginner.

In order to make the paint glass smooth and scratch free, it requires the use of machine buffing after claying the car to remove surface contaminants such as tree sap, paint overspray, bugs, tar and rail dust. The Porter Cable buffer is very safe and user friendly for all experience levels. As you noticed, the best way to learn with it is to turn it on to see its action working on the surface. It is also important to understand the action of the product/pad results on the surface before proceeding to the next step. With its dual action, it is very difficult to damge or burn the clear coat. You can use it on a regular basis to maintain or improve your surface condition or remove minor/moderate surface blemishes as they appear.

Feel free to contact me with any product questions and I can help you decide what to get your specific needs.

BTW, this one is now for sale.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Thread title fixed for thread display!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great man, that is my favorite body style of Mustangs. I always forget how big those heads are!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Looks amazing! How much do you charge for such a detail anyways man?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This surface correction was pretty straightforward as the paint was covered with fine circular lines and dull haze from washing, drying and detail towel use over the years. Once removing the haze, there were some other stray, deeper scratches underneath. Seeing those, I switched to spot buffing them with the orange pad/SIP/FLEX combo.

Pricing depends upon the extent of surface(s) correction and clean up. Average price start at $175.00 and up.

Thanks, phantomzer0
Old 04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice job.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
Lots of practice with new products, reading, trial and experimentation. At some point everybody started as a beginner.

In order to make the paint glass smooth and scratch free, it requires the use of machine buffing after claying the car to remove surface contaminants such as tree sap, paint overspray, bugs, tar and rail dust. The Porter Cable buffer is very safe and user friendly for all experience levels. As you noticed, the best way to learn with it is to turn it on to see its action working on the surface. It is also important to understand the action of the product/pad results on the surface before proceeding to the next step. With its dual action, it is very difficult to damge or burn the clear coat. You can use it on a regular basis to maintain or improve your surface condition or remove minor/moderate surface blemishes as they appear.

Feel free to contact me with any product questions and I can help you decide what to get your specific needs.

BTW, this one is now for sale.
I am going to PM you with you some questions here in a bit..

Quick Reply: Detail: '97 Mustang Cobra w/5500 miles