Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best way to attach new emblems or badges?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best way to attach new emblems or badges?

I will soon beginning replacing the badges on my 2006 Impala SS with a complete set 1962 Impala SS emblems, and I've been looking at different adhesives for installing the new badges.

I've seen the 3M adhesive in a tube, and the stuff in tape form. What's the best way to do it...Tube or tape?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would probably recommend the tape only because theyre wont be any excess mess to worry about. And all the newer badges or anything you get from like emblempros is all with the 3m tape
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M tape all the way. Try to get the VHB (very high bond) stuff!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Tape is best.

They sell stuff in the tube called adhesive promoter, and this sometime helps with adhering to plastics. But the simple 3M tape is the best just a proper surface preparation first.

OEM-approved tapes are used for such diverse applications as attaching body side moldings, claddings, roof ditch moldings, wheel flare moldings, bumper insert moldings, luggage rack slats, nameplates and trim elements. The tapes are part of a total system that simplifies the manufacturing process, thus lowering assembly costs. These savings are realized through elimination of holes in the sheet metal, weld studs and the reduction in the number of parts required. Warranty costs are also reduced because of superior performance, and reduction of the potential for corrosion associated with piercing of body metal.
However, no tape is simply peel and stick. The following are actions you must do when applying. Failure to follow these directions will lead to adhesion failure.
1. The area needs to be cleaned with alcohol, or a cleaner that will not leave behind a residue. NO WAX!!
2. The warmer the temperature the better, at least 60 degrees (this one is the most important of all). You can use a hair dryer to heat each area up, or a heated garage will also work just fine.
3. This tape is pressure sensitive, and pressure must be firmly applied to each letter.
4. As hard as it may be to wait, do not expose the letters to car washes or water for 24 hours.

Thanks, Roger
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

3M double sided tape. Not the white one, but the red with grey back.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Tape is best.

They sell stuff in the tube called adhesive promoter, and this sometime helps with adhering to plastics. But the simple 3M tape is the best just a proper surface preparation first.

OEM-approved tapes are used for such diverse applications as attaching body side moldings, claddings, roof ditch moldings, wheel flare moldings, bumper insert moldings, luggage rack slats, nameplates and trim elements. The tapes are part of a total system that simplifies the manufacturing process, thus lowering assembly costs. These savings are realized through elimination of holes in the sheet metal, weld studs and the reduction in the number of parts required. Warranty costs are also reduced because of superior performance, and reduction of the potential for corrosion associated with piercing of body metal.
However, no tape is simply peel and stick. The following are actions you must do when applying. Failure to follow these directions will lead to adhesion failure.
1. The area needs to be cleaned with alcohol, or a cleaner that will not leave behind a residue. NO WAX!!
2. The warmer the temperature the better, at least 60 degrees (this one is the most important of all). You can use a hair dryer to heat each area up, or a heated garage will also work just fine.
3. This tape is pressure sensitive, and pressure must be firmly applied to each letter.
4. As hard as it may be to wait, do not expose the letters to car washes or water for 24 hours.

Thanks, Roger
Thank you so much for the step-by-step! I'll be ordering the tape tonight!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i used 3M trim/badge clear adhesive on my Trans Am badges and i have absolutely no complaints... you can pick it up from a local auto parts shop too.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

3M tape is the best for sure
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Smile There is a perfect solution!

If you are looking to re-adhere automotive emblems to your repaired or re-painted vehicle, you can go to www.adhesivetemplates.com where you can search for a precisely cut 3M adhesive replacement. If you don’t see what you need, a custom adhesive can be created by contacting Adhesive Templates at 1-888-249-3350.

Quick Reply: Best way to attach new emblems or badges?