Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

faux CF thread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pictures from an S5 we did.

As far as wrapping bends, we won't go inside cup holders or anything crazy like that, you would just need to use multiple pieces and trim very cleanly to make it look decent. We wrapped an entire boat and some other parts for it with this stuff about a year ago.

On a side note, the film doesn't stick very well to textured surfaces. We have wrapped some things with texture and some of them didn't stick once the car was sitting out in the sun and the interior got hot. One that i think of is this Ford F150, the dash was covered in armor all crap and we wiped it down with alcohol and even xylene and even used adhesive promoter and it still didn't stick.

I'm pretty sure the adhesive on the back is the same as on the carbon film, but this stuff peeled up bad after a couple days.

These areas stuck real good though.

Here is a car we wrapped with the wood, like a woody wagon.

Sorry to get all offtopic, here is another carbon piece...spoiler on a Z06 that we wrapped matte black.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn looks sick
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the cheapest good quality CF look that looks and feels like it has texture.
I don't want the stuff that is really shiny and you can tell that it is fake as can be. I think the hydro dipping is like that? Looks painted on.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

3M DI-NOC is what we use. There is some other stuff that looks really good, looks more legit than this stuff, but it doesn't go around corners very well If you just wanted to do a flat surface, it's great...i can look it up if anyone is interested.

edit: 3M also has a Brushed Aluminum film. I jacked this picture from someone else.

Last edited by kwiker; 01-29-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
So what is the cheapest good quality CF look that looks and feels like it has texture.
I don't want the stuff that is really shiny and you can tell that it is fake as can be. I think the hydro dipping is like that? Looks painted on.
^^^ nah, hydrodipping is the ****. ......and real carbon fiber clear coated is smooth. I know I'm going to be taking advantage of our sponsor.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

There is a sponsor that deals with this stuff?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think he meant hydrodiping.

I got my 3M DI-NOC sample piece today. ill wrap something and try to get a quality automotive clear on it to see how it looks.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

^^^Post that up for sure, we have always wondered what spraying clear over it would look like.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So about what would I be looking at to do a couple interior pieces.. Lets say...

top of center console
radio bezel (piece around radio and ac *****)
and maybe the door trim pieces

Just a roundabout?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Who's ths sponsor that does this stuff then????
Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no sponsor that does work w/ the 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber. EmblemPro's does Hydro Dipping now though. And it looks like he does some pretty sick work.

I've been messing around w/ my test sheet of CF Di-Noc tonight. I made some new coasters out of some steel plate w/ foam padding and just put the vinyl right on top. They came out awesome. These are the best pics I can manage w/ my crappy digicam.

Tomorrow I'm covering 2 light switch covers and clear coating at least one (probably both) of them. I'll post pics and info on how the progress went. I really don't foresee a problem. This stuff is really thin and I highly doubt it'll take much to get a nice finish.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

I wish I could see hydrodipping irl so I could see what looks better, I got the 3m stuff and it's exactily the same as my iPhone case it looks ok but not anything close to the real deal, alot better than the cheap wrap u get from autozone/walmart but still not as good as I'd like If hydrodipping looks the same Im prob gonna send my stuff to 6LE for the read deal. He does all the parts for not much more
Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iyyob
I wish I could see hydrodipping irl so I could see what looks better, I got the 3m stuff and it's exactily the same as my iPhone case it looks ok but not anything close to the real deal, alot better than the cheap wrap u get from autozone/walmart but still not as good as I'd like If hydrodipping looks the same Im prob gonna send my stuff to 6LE for the read deal. He does all the parts for not much more
This tread isnt for hydrodipping,,,, heres a thread your looking for,,,, https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...o-dipping.html
Only reason I dont want hydrodipping is it leaves that stretch look on bends or curves,,, and because its basicly paint theres no texture or 3d look to it. Plus you cant do it yourself,,, this stuff is a do it yourself option.

Buy the way great pic's guys! keep em coming,, I like the coasters you need some emblems in there.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Buy the way great pic's guys! keep em coming,, I like the coasters you need some emblems in there.
oh now that's a good idea! I might have to come up with something.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

This tread isnt for hydrodipping,,,, heres a thread your looking for,,,, https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...o-dipping.html
Only reason I dont want hydrodipping is it leaves that stretch look on bends or curves,,, and because its basicly paint theres no texture or 3d look to it. Plus you cant do it yourself,,, this stuff is a do it yourself option.

Did u read past 6 words in my post ?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Just to not let anyone get any misconceptions about the two - this is not a sales pitch...

Both vinyl, real carbon fiber, and hydrodipping patterns will stretch around curves - they all do. Hydrodipping just happens to do it better; especially on complex parts.

Real carbon fiber has no texture to be felt in its finished form. Real carbon fiber has a smooth resin coating.

Cleanup would also be easier on clearcoated parts. The wrap may give you problems down the road on parts that are prone to getting dirty.

Just my .02
Old 01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ exactly what I was just saying... why are ppl saying that this di-noc CF pattern vinyl is soo realistic..when 10 out of 10 times that I see carbon fiber in its finished form is in a smooth finish.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stretched look?? What the hell you taking about???

Old 01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hydro dip looks 100x's better IMHO. This stuff looks more like a vinyl sticker than real CF, even real raw CF... To each their own.

The work looks quality though.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

I will tell you what.

Lets to this, if I can get a volunteer.

Since I already have Hydorcarbon parts here. If anyone wants to send me their absolute best version of this stuff, I will take very high quality picture of each side by side. and of course return the part to the owner.
OFFERS, or not!????

Since some seem confused: This may clear the conceptions, and misconceptions. There is nothing wrong with DIY, and no pressure from me, just an idea
This way minds can be made up on their own. If there are no offers then that's cool too.

Thanks, Roger
www.emblempros.com
www.muffinbuster.com
sales@emblempros.com

Last edited by dragonZ28; 01-30-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: faux CF thread?