Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart man that is!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kwiker
edit: 3M also has a Brushed Aluminum film. I jacked this picture from someone else.

What do you research this as ? This what Honda used in the last gen accord coupe on a few bezels inside and it looked fantastic . Ive never been able to find it , the only thing that seems to be searchable anyways is the di-noc carbon and wood films .
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brushed alum. is sweet!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did some work tonight with my Di-Noc Carbon Fiber. I wrapped a light switch plate and it came out great. Then I clear coated it and it turned to crap. With it being cleared you can't see the weave look unless you're looking at it at just the right angle. I'll post pics tomorrow of the end result when I can get some better light. I'll also wrap another light switch cover and leave it uncleared to try as show the difference as best I can.

And DragonZ28 - I might take you up on that offer. I still have some material left. I'm not sure what I'm going to wrap, but I can probably come up with something small and simple to wrap that I can send out. If anyone has any ideas of something to wrap lemme know. It doesn't have to be car related, just crap laying around the house. Preferably with some complex curves to really get a good comparison. And I only have around 12" x 36" left, so it can't be huge.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Well I did some work tonight with my Di-Noc Carbon Fiber. I wrapped a light switch plate and it came out great. Then I clear coated it and it turned to crap. With it being cleared you can't see the weave look unless you're looking at it at just the right angle. I'll post pics tomorrow of the end result when I can get some better light. I'll also wrap another light switch cover and leave it uncleared to try as show the difference as best I can.

And DragonZ28 - I might take you up on that offer. I still have some material left. I'm not sure what I'm going to wrap, but I can probably come up with something small and simple to wrap that I can send out. If anyone has any ideas of something to wrap lemme know. It doesn't have to be car related, just crap laying around the house. Preferably with some complex curves to really get a good comparison. And I only have around 12" x 36" left, so it can't be huge.
I think that might be something I'm looking for.. I don't want it to stand out a whole lot, just subtle.. In for pics!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just to let everyone know. If you want the dry carbon look, and dont wanna spend the money, theres another alternative. You can just buy the carbon fiber cloth and wrap your interior. Its what BMW does in the new M3. Theres a huge thread on the bimmer forums about it. Its super cheap. i cant find that thread though....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201689
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Just to let everyone know. If you want the dry carbon look, and dont wanna spend the money, theres another alternative. You can just buy the carbon fiber cloth and wrap your interior. Its what BMW does in the new M3. Theres a huge thread on the bimmer forums about it. Its super cheap. i cant find that thread though....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201689
I think thats exactly what I was looking for.. Have any idea where to buy that exact material?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Preferably with some complex curves to really get a good comparison.
I just watched a youtube video of someone wrapping a kitchen sink with this stuff. Turned out great!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fact is, there are more ways to skin a cat, with each way having it's own subtle differences and characteristics and charm. It's the reason why Baskin Robins has 32 flavors because not everyone likes the same.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ you are just full of fun facts hahaha
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
I think thats exactly what I was looking for.. Have any idea where to buy that exact material?
http://destronsgarage.com/ heres more examples and how to's etc. Its called Carbon Wrap

57"x38" is only $40!!! Bargain and a half

And sometimes you can find it on ebay too, like right now theres a yard for only $24
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbo...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by evilZO6; 01-31-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

way to turn a DIY f thread into a "my dick is bigger" thread....

And UV lights? What is this cosmic bowling lol? (sarcasm dude...just joking around).

Real Carbon Fiber is A) Messy B) Expensive C) PITA to work with D) stupid to just wrap stuff with.

Hydro-dipping, while very cool, is very expensive as well.

3M di-noc, neffywrap, etc. All very cheap and decent looking alternatives for those on a budget and not wanting to deal with the hassles of real carbon fiber...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ congrats on your second post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FTHISinc
way to turn a DIY f thread into a "my dick is bigger" thread....

And UV lights? What is this cosmic bowling lol? (sarcasm dude...just joking around).

Real Carbon Fiber is A) Messy B) Expensive C) PITA to work with D) stupid to just wrap stuff with.

Hydro-dipping, while very cool, is very expensive as well.

3M di-noc, neffywrap, etc. All very cheap and decent looking alternatives for those on a budget and not wanting to deal with the hassles of real carbon fiber...
+1. keep in mind MOST of the people posting on this forum are ****-up-the-*** idiots who think they know what is/looks best. e-badasses basically.

and you're right. hydrodipping looks OK but it's not a DIY thing and it's expensive as ****

to each his own i suppose
Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

People just get their feelings hurt to much for 1 and for 2 alota people think their opinion is the only right answer , and further to many people are far to worried about what anyone else thinks to be an idividual . Its not just this forum , its a raging problem world wide lol . Do what u want , if it looks good to you , thats all that should matter , plus its a bit more rewarding being happy for yourself than chasing the trend....I think this thread covers alot of different good options by which to choose , whos anyone to say any other is crap , unless the product itself is just crap .

Last edited by LT4vert; 01-31-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

I like the fabric, i think it looks pretty good...the other stuff i was talking about is made by R Tape. It is an overlam, you can put it over any color.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I did another light switch cover and left it uncleared. I also have to retract my previous statement. Once the clear settled and cured, and I saw it in better light, I think I like the cleared look. This particular piece doesn't have enough clear on it to completely cover the part so it's smooth, but it has 3-4 coats. So it'll take quite a bit of clear to build up enough thickness to be able to sand it and buff it.

These are the best pics I could get with my digicam. Hopefully they might help some people decide if they want to work with this stuff. Enjoy:

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

the cleared one doesn't look that bad, i'd like to see it when you get done layering and polishing
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LT4vert
People just get their feelings hurt to much for 1 and for 2 alota people think their opinion is the only right answer , and further to many people are far to worried about what anyone else thinks to be an idividual . Its not just this forum , its a raging problem world wide lol . Do what u want , if it looks good to you , thats all that should matter , plus its a bit more rewarding being happy for yourself than chasing the trend....I think this thread covers alot of different good options by which to choose , whos anyone to say any other is crap , unless the product itself is just crap .

Thank you for your very insightful post.
Just to clear something up. We just did another members car (6 pieces) for less than 300.00. Not bad for the fantastic result you get from the dipping procedure.
To each his own, I agree.

Thanks, Roger
Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are those light switches the Dinoc? or whatever its called..

Quick Reply: faux CF thread?