Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LOTB badges not sticking; help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LOTB badges not sticking; help!!!

I put on a set of the Last of the Breed Badges this weekend, but they are not sticking very well. I followed the directions that Emblem Pros gave me, but they are not sticking good at the top or bottom. What can I do to make them stick flush to the car?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you clean the area properly before hand? You might have to take the tape off and put new stuff on.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

well, it sounds lke your problem is the location you are trying to install them. i know they are know very flimsy, and are fairly firm, so if you tried to put them on a section that has too much of a curve thats going to be a problem.

I would try using a heat gun to heat it up and then just press it down as hard as possible to try to get it to form to the shape. not 100% on that though, but its worth a shot
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
well, it sounds lke your problem is the location you are trying to install them. i know they are know very flimsy, and are fairly firm, so if you tried to put them on a section that has too much of a curve thats going to be a problem.

I would try using a heat gun to heat it up and then just press it down as hard as possible to try to get it to form to the shape. not 100% on that though, but its worth a shot

I did all the prep work like they said to. Yeah, the location I put them on is right above the side vents (where most people put them) and that area is for sure not flat. I tried heating it up real hot and then holding it in place, but that only worked for a few minutes and then it just went back to how it was before. Do they make any kind of glue or adhesive that I can use in just the areas it is comming off? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I did all the prep work like they said to. Yeah, the location I put them on is right above the side vents (where most people put them) and that area is for sure not flat. I tried heating it up real hot and then holding it in place, but that only worked for a few minutes and then it just went back to how it was before. Do they make any kind of glue or adhesive that I can use in just the areas it is comming off? Thanks for the help guys.
Depending on where you place these pieces, the emblems will have to possibly be prebent a little more, or a little less. Otherwise the bottom and tops may not sit flat.
We do not prebend these, simply because the curvature of the fender changes, and it is best done by the person where they want to place them.
Different people place them in different places.
You need to bend them a little, and your problem will go far away.
You bought the stainless pieces. That is why the tops, and bottoms are not staying flat, the steel is stronger than the tape. They must be prebent a little bit.
A flat piece of stainless is not going to take a curve by itself.

Thanks, Roger

Last edited by dragonZ28; 06-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Depending on where you place these pieces, the emblems will have to possibly be prebent a little more, or a little less. Otherwise the bottom and tops may not sit flat.
We do not prebend these, simply because the curvature of the fender changes, and it is best done by the person where they want to place them.
Different people place them in different places.
You need to bend them a little, and your problem will go far away.
You bought the stainless pieces. That is why the tops, and bottoms are not staying flat, the steel is stronger than the tape. They must be prebent a little bit.
A flat piece of stainless is not going to take a curve by itself.

Thanks, Roger

Thanks Roger. So what is the best way to remove them from my car so I can bend them to fit? When I reapply them, will I need to get some different adhesive or will the adehesive that comes on the badge still work? I really appriciate all your help.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Roger. So what is the best way to remove them from my car so I can bend them to fit? When I reapply them, will I need to get some different adhesive or will the adehesive that comes on the badge still work? I really appriciate all your help.

If they are already loose, they will probably come off without too much trouble simply by pulling on them slowly. They can be bent by hand, it's not that much that they really need to bend. Just take it slow until you get them where you want them to be. I would think you need new tape by this time. Once it gets dirty or oily hands on it, it will not stick.

Thanks, Roger

Last edited by dragonZ28; 06-14-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

fishing line is the easiest way to remove emblems. just use it like a knife and cut through the adhesive. the stuff on there now may be good for a second use, if not just grab some 3m double sided emblem tape.

i thought that you had the composite emblem, thats what i have, i'm sure with the stainless ones thats gonna be harder to bend to shape. But like Roger said, its do-able.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Yea good luck man. I'm having the EXACT same issue. Local shop in my area suggested that they could try putting them in a roller and roll them little by little to form them to the car's fenders. If you decide to try this way make sure they wrap the badges with something so that the roller doesn't mess up the badges finish. And I second on the fishing line, It's the only thing that'll work to take that badge off, or your fingers will hurt like a mother trying to get em off by hand. That adhesive backing is some strong ****. Just my .02
Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

OK,

We have sold "literally" hundreds of sets of these, they can absolutely 100% be bent by hand. Its only a 18 guage stainless "slightly over 1/16 of an inch thick", and the curvature you need is not that much. I completely do not understand. Especially since we have installed them ourselves here "multiple times", because of design changes. And hand bent them all,
So I know exactly what I am talking about. Out of all of the "stainless sets" we have sold, they have all needed the slight bending. I never heard a word from anyone telling me they could not do it. Taking these to a shop, is just someone wanting your money for something you can do yourself. I guess that is up to you, but they could ruin them for you. Do you guys need some installed pictures of some that were bent by hand?
This is not compound curvature, it's a simple, one directional, small bend.
Place them on the fender to see what is needed, then remove and slowly bend them until they fit the curve needed for the area you want to place them. The reason I say slowly, is so you do not overbend them. This job should not take anymore than 1/2 hour at the most. "for both sides of the car." Much less time than has been spent on this thread. I simply do not know how to be more clear on this.

Thanks, Roger
Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Yep, bend them by hand. I have done it myself with terrific results. The only fear I had when bending them was that I might crease the metal, and that was a fear that I did not need to have. The metal is strong, but very workable.

I can take pictures of them on the car, if you like?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Here are some installed pictures "bent by hand"by us, This is my car.

Thanks, Roger
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Minacious
Yep, bend them by hand. I have done it myself with terrific results. The only fear I had when bending them was that I might crease the metal, and that was a fear that I did not need to have. The metal is strong, but very workable.

I can take pictures of them on the car, if you like?
Thank you very much!

Roger
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys, especially you Roger. I'm going to take them off this weekend, bend them to fit and re-install them. I just want to say that I freaking love the badges. I'm glad I went with the stainless steel ones. Great product.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the help guys, especially you Roger. I'm going to take them off this weekend, bend them to fit and re-install them. I just want to say that I freaking love the badges. I'm glad I went with the stainless steel ones. Great product.
If you need and cannot find tape, let me know.

Thanks, Roger

Quick Reply: LOTB badges not sticking; help!!!