Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Mark Remover...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Swirl Mark Remover...?

I have a Black 02 SS and there are alot of swirl marks throughout the the car. They arent noticable until you are up close. Whats the best way to remove them so the paint looks smooth and deep?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are good with a buffer I would suggest got to Oreillys or similar and ask for the 3M Perfect-it step 2 and step 3 and the pads to go with. Step 2 is a grey with a grey foam pad, and 3 is blue with a softer blue pad. If your not ready to use a buffer, go to Walmart and in the Detailing section they sell a small Wax remover/polisher. I think it might be $30 or so. I suggested this to a buddy that didnt have the $$ for me to buff his car and it really turned out good. He got the polisher and wax, I suggest Meguiars Gold Class for black cars. You can use that as a cheap and easy attempt to fix the swirls. Its what I use on my car and it for a car that sees some sun light, it has a better temp rating compaired to other brands. Meaning it doesnt break down as quickly as others. Iv read about other stuff being good, I detail cars for a living and the 3M stuff is by far the best I have seen..
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think ill give the 3M product a try. Ive never tried using an electronic buffer before and i dont want to risk messing up my paint.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

The 3M you use with a buffer..you can try it with a polisher, it doesnt spin near as fast and could work. Iv never used it with the polisher. Id try a the polisher with the final step(3) and then wax it using the polisher to take off the wax..Make sure you buy a set of clean rags jsut for your car, and keep them clean, if you was a towls at home, thow them in!!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So since im not going to use a buffer, just go with the walmart product correct
Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no reason in the world to use a polisher to remove wax lol.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha ok either im a complete idiot or just really confused
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

^^

I was bored one day and tried it on my car..it seems to take the wax off more even IMO..I can truely see a difference from taking it off by hand vs a polisher..an old trick some car show guys showed me..

I use the polisher to apply wax and then another pad to take it off..seems to work for me.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i appreciate the help ill give it a shot and see what happens
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Dont be confused, I read what I said earlyer..I was half a sleep and might have been..but

You can use a buffer with the 3M products or something similar..

OR

A polisher and good wax..

The Meguires is easy to find, Walmart, Oreillys, ect..and your not spending a lot of money on Detailing products..

The polisher its easy..My 16yr old Sister uses one on her Black Mustang and she can make it look good so Im sure you can too!! Something else I do with black..cut the edges of your Microfiber rags(if you use them) that ruff edge can cause a lot of swirls a person sees..
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha thanks and by "a polisher" you mean just one of those round pads?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 223Hawk is adding to your confusion.

When detailing a car, there are three variables in play: The product, pad and type of application. You will have to read the back label of the products you purchase because some products were made to be applied by hand.

Here are the three main types of application methods:

Hand: Not really efficient at all. Does not have the power and speed to "cut" swirls out. Really best for applying waxes but still a machine would be better.

Dual-Action Polisher: The cheap orbital $30-$40 ones are really only good for applying waxes since it doesn't have the speed and power to correct imperfections. A more expensive D/A like the Meguiar's G-100 or the Porter Cable 7424 has the power to remove swirls. You don't use a D/A Polisher specifically to apply and remove wax. When applying and removing waxes with the D/A polisher, you set the speed lower.

D/A Polishers are very user-friendly, provide great results and virtually is impossible to damage the paint while using one. For car enthusiasts who want to take their detailing to the next level, a D/A Polisher is recommended.

Rotaries: Should be placed in the hands of professionals. It spins on one axis and if applied with enough pressure, it can burn through the paint. The D/A Polisher oscillates in a circular motion. While rotaries aren't as user-friendly as it's D/A Polisher counterpart, it works much faster at correcting paint
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

or if you dont wanna do it send it to a shop and have them water sand the car but if its done right and good then i will admit you will pay for it though but it would be worth it though
Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes he was deffinitly confusing the **** out of me haha so i should just dish out the money for a D/A instead of more or less wasting time by trying to get the swirls out by hand
Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good choice
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On black ive actually used the turtle wax black box kit on a few cars at work and its worked pretty decent. Ive used a portercable and the first 2 steps and its gotten rid of alot of them. I buff alota cars at work and are by no means a excellent buffer (i.e. i swirl cars here and there, but mostly just black) and the Black box kit has worked good for me so far

Quick Reply: Swirl Mark Remover...?