Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Roof Bubbles and Epoxy Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roof Bubbles and Epoxy Fiberglass

We all know the problem causing the paint bubbles is the glue leaching through the roof panel. We know repainting doesn't work and I believe some have tried paint on sealers with no success. Others have even had the bubbles come back years after replacing the entire panels with new glue.

However, what about building a new barrier for the glue, a stronger barrier that perhaps the glue will not react with or permeate through. The idea of a thin layer of fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin, like they use on boats, came to mind. The stuff is much more expensive than regular fiberglass resin, but might do the trick and would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the roof panel.

Sand, epoxy, sand, paint.

What do you guys think, could this work?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know,but we need someone to make a carbon fiber panel/cover that fits our cars like the vettes have.that would be a easy fix.only problem is noone want to make it for us
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

mines starting to that now. i just noticed it like a week ago. i realllly wish there was a way to fix this without shelling out alot of money.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

You have an idea but idk how well it will work bc ive never seen it done. What i can tell you is that we restored a 65 Corvette coupe years ago and it came back in a few months with bubbles in certain spots. We repaired those areas and it still bubbled not long after. To make a long story short we stripped the car completely again and re-resined the whole entire car and then primed and painted it and to this day the car still looks like it did the day we delivered it. Apparently the resin that we put on the car locked in whatever contaminants were on the car causing it to bubble. Now with that being said i am not advising you to try this or saying that it would definitely work on these sail panels but it is an idea that just might work. Do some more research and let us know what you decide and how it turns out!!!! I'm sure lot's of people would love to see if it works. It did for us on a showroom clean 65 Corvette Coupe. Good luck!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
i dont know,but we need someone to make a carbon fiber panel/cover that fits our cars like the vettes have.that would be a easy fix.only problem is noone want to make it for us
That would be nice.
Do you have an example of the vette one?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Do you mean pics? We did this car over 5 years ago so i don't have any pics of it
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002nbmss
Do you mean pics? We did this car over 5 years ago so i don't have any pics of it
as I quoted, I was refering to the carbon fiber thing made for vettes.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

You have an idea but idk how well it will work bc ive never seen it done. What i can tell you is that we restored a 65 Corvette coupe years ago and it came back in a few months with bubbles in certain spots. We repaired those areas and it still bubbled not long after. To make a long story short we stripped the car completely again and re-resined the whole entire car and then primed and painted it and to this day the car still looks like it did the day we delivered it. Apparently the resin that we put on the car locked in whatever contaminants were on the car causing it to bubble. Now with that being said i am not advising you to try this or saying that it would definitely work on these sail panels but it is an idea that just might work. Do some more research and let us know what you decide and how it turns out!!!! I'm sure lot's of people would love to see if it works. It did for us on a showroom clean 65 Corvette Coupe. Good luck!!!!!
Very interesting to hear. It makes sense on paper and now you have got me thinking it might just work.

Do you recall what kind fo resin you used? I was thinking epoxy resin since that stuff is an incredible sealer on boats and keeps a seriously corrosive environment out. Maybe it will keep the nastiness of the Camaro's glue in!

Anyone got roof bubbles and fiberglassing experience to give it a shot? I have a few small bubbles, but my car lives in the garage and it is not in my plans to do the roof very soon.

I'm thinking some real light/thin cloth over the entire roof/sail panel and a good solid coat or resin. Sand it smooth, a little bondo for the low spots, prime, and paint. Then see how long it lasts.....
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Damn glue!!! mine's doing it as well and I repainted it only to have it looking worse. I'd like to see a cover type thing. I'd be all over that! Epoxy might work but plastic isn't so I'm not sure???
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone should try and contact the place that makes the vette sail covers on ebay

Last edited by 01SOMSS!; 10-28-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Sorry 01somss i didn't even pay attention to what you quoted. We used Evercoat Fiberglass Resin and it worked out great but you will have to smooth the roof out with some filler because after you apply the resin theres no way to sand the resin down perfectly smooth without filler. Thats stuff is too hard to sand down fine enough for primer to fill it. Good luck and let us know what you decide
Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry 01somss i didn't even pay attention to what you quoted. We used Evercoat Fiberglass Resin and it worked out great but you will have to smooth the roof out with some filler because after you apply the resin theres no way to sand the resin down perfectly smooth without filler. Thats stuff is too hard to sand down fine enough for primer to fill it. Good luck and let us know what you decide
It looks like Evercoat makes all kinds of epoxy resin for automotive and marine. Do you recall exactly which one you used?

Quick Reply: Roof Bubbles and Epoxy Fiberglass