Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LMC housings are not proper for HID???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LMC housings are not proper for HID???

I plucked this from another thread to stop a hijack that I started:
Originally Posted by Bakushan
LMC is not a proper housing for a HID bulb.
I'm curious to see a debate on this. I have been under the impression that LMC/DDM was a good combo at a crazy price.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you couldn't use HID's in them. I mean theres projectors out there for Camaro's that say on the assembly itself that there not for HID's but people still put 35watt HID's in em and they have no problems with em. I could see if you put 55watt bulbs in there that there could be issues with that cause of the temp. the bulbs get to but I personally don't think youll have any problem if you use a 35watt bulb though.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is referring to the fact that they aren't proper not that it wont work. As I understand it you aren't supposed to use HID bulbs in anything but projectors.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Well from the results people have gotten from using them it doesnt seem like it matters much. There is a entire thread on using these with DDM tuning HID's & they look great & have a nice cut-off line when adjusted properly.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Yes.

Of course "they will work".

They will work in stock camaro assemblies too (and many do that).

However, the deal is, the FREQUENCY of light coming out of a HID bulb is far difference than that coming from a halogen bulb. Any set of "reflectors" is not going to transmit the light from the assembly down to the road as intended with a HID bulb.

What I am saying is, reflectors are for HALOGEN BULBS and projectors are for HID bulbs.

Even having said that, it is my belief that the current projectors being sold on the market (ebay etc) are in most cases "not real". Some setups "look like" projectors" but are in fact also made for HALOGEN bulbs.

The truth is, the only 100% proper way to run HID's on a car is to retro-fit real HID projectors into them. Which is why I created my thread in regards to the subject.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...en-camaro.html

I am a big fan of "do it right the first time" and I think anyone who run's HID's in a halogen designed assembly is "cutting corners". You will not get a proper cut-off, you will not get even light distribution, and in some states its even illegal. With the high cost of doing it right (I priced a hand-made set in my thread at $950) I totally understand why hardly any would pay the price to get the correct hardware. Still, I think experts would agree (and I am not one), that HID frequency light discharge is most safely, and properly emitted out of a focused projector lens with a cut-off.
Good info, thanks. I hope you didn't take offense to my starting this thread from the other one. I am genuinely interested in the dialog that could be created in this thread and the possibility of new ideas or designs for projector/correct HIDs for the 'birds.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Reflector housings not made for HIDs typically do not perform well. A cutoff does not mean too much if the output is not focused for even light distribution. This is why a projector will be the best way to handle light output from a halogen or HID.

Feel free to take a look at the the output from our projector headlight offering.

www.blackbirdlighting.com
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta pay to play. It costs to floss. Spend the cheddar to get whats better.
quoted for troof
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

GOD DAMNIT! I thought that for one single solitary time I had gotten around that. Oh well. I think my debit card likes being used- again, and again, and again...

On a side note to BLSolutions. You just picked up a customer. If I were in your shoes, I would be beating the reality of the LMC housings into people with a stick! Just a simple and welcomed explanation like that, and I just jacked up my budget for lighting. Subtle is good, but you offer a product that it would seem is so superior that yelling from the highest mountain could make people understand. With the LMC solution coming in to the game, I wondered how you were going to make it and figured you would fall. I'm a guy who likes to do his homework and never came across anything like this. Get in there and tell people WHY you offer what you do. Either way, thanks for the explanation; it got you a customer and a fan!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

I appreciate the compliment and would be happy to earn your business. The projector line-up for the Firebirds (93-02) has been very well received with many happy customers.

Regarding the LMC housings, there is no need to get into an argument about them. They are a better housing than stock and perform decently for their price. I've pretty much done it all when it comes to lighting for these cars and HIDs in a reflector halogen housing just never made me happy. It all comes down to what you value.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
I appreciate the compliment and would be happy to earn your business. The projector line-up for the Firebirds (93-02) has been very well received with many happy customers.

Regarding the LMC housings, there is no need to get into an argument about them. They are a better housing than stock and perform decently for their price. I've pretty much done it all when it comes to lighting for these cars and HIDs in a reflector halogen housing just never made me happy. It all comes down to what you value.
Man, you just ooze class. Top notch sponsor. We really get the best sponsors in the appearance section.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The problem isn't just the light frequency but also
* The placement and shape of the arc in the HID capsule versus the filament in a Halogen Bulb
* The overall shape/design of the reflector/optics

HID kits often don't place the arc in the same place as the halogen filament.

The HID arc is not the same shape as the halogen filament.

Halogen reflectors/optics are designed to work with a certain amount of light and spread it in a certain pattern. If you give it a large amount of extra light aimed at the wrong place, you'll get a bad beam pattern sending light out in places where it shouldn't be glaring to other drivers and worse for your night vision as well.

Those are generally the reasons to avoid putting HID into Halogen Reflector housings. Dual-Filament housings (ex: housings designed for H4 bulbs) are the worst offenders. The HID arc is rarely in the right place and the resulting beam pattern is like a permanent high beam.

However, some Halogen Projectors do handle HID fairly well, others don't. Later Miata H7 Projectors, and Acura MDX H11 projectors are two examples of Halogen projectors that handle HID well.

Most ebay projectors don't handle HID particularly well while some do. Its a crap shoot. Avoid ebay headlights that use H3 bulbs because those are fog light projectors and the cheap ebay knock-offs don't handle HID well, often wasting the light.

Also avoid ebay sealed beam projectors because they aren't projectors at all. Its a dirty lie. They are just a sealed beam housing with a bad reflector design and a hunk of glass stuck in them to make them look sorta like a projector and produce a horrible beam pattern.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a ton of good info in this thread. Anyone thinking about buying the BLS kit, do it, you wont regret it.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Theres a ton of good info in this thread. Anyone thinking about buying the BLS kit, do it, you wont regret it.

But to add, there are some reflectors that are specifically designed for HIDs. However they are always made for a specific model.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everything in this thread is true regarding the HID setup.

The reality is if you got the cheddar then spend it on the good stuff. If I had the cash I would get the BLS kit in an instant.

But I don't so we got the LMC/DDM setup for a fraction of the cost. I personally love the setup for the cost and there are plenty of threads with people who have them and love them too.

Just my imput.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Charlay
Everything in this thread is true regarding the HID setup.

The reality is if you got the cheddar then spend it on the good stuff. If I had the cash I would get the BLS kit in an instant.

But I don't so we got the LMC/DDM setup for a fraction of the cost. I personally love the setup for the cost and there are plenty of threads with people who have them and love them too.

Just my imput.
I think this sums things up very well. I am just lucky enough that when I showed my wife the difference, she didn't even hesitate. I'll be getting the BBS. 24 hours go, I was so excited about the LMC/DDM setup it was silly. Very good point and post Charlay.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

baangarraaaang!!!

If i didnt have a BLS kit with real projectors/cutoff, etc those would look like diamonds of glare bouncing off of the file cabinets without the 'solid' line. My favorite part is how they show off the suspension, the light being so sharp makes the car look like its on rails

EDIT: I cant really speak to the visibility change on the LMC style setup, im sure its still leaps and bounds better than stock. I cant imagine anyone would argue that, however i HATE getting blinded by camaros/civics here who have similar setups, and 99% of the time, im pretty against getting pulled over.

Last edited by Irish350; 11-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well $875 is a lot of dough no matter what. Do HID lights LAST soooo much longer than halogen that that kind of green would be an investment??

I do believe that using the DDM HID kit in the LMC housings will give the options of the light color and also put out more light than the halogens. From pics I've seen, those LMC housings do quite well with HIDs in the form of cut-off and beam focus. Any input on that? Have I overlooked something maybe?

It'll be a while before I dive for lights and the BLS kit is #1 on my list...just the price keeps me from making the dive sooner. If I get this Border Patrol job, I won't spare that expense tho!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are plenty of options for projector setups. You can get a pair of HID projectors for $90 - $150 and fab a mount & housing for them yourself if you want to keep costs down. The final cost will depend on which ballasts & bulbs you buy, and what you do for housings.

The BLS kit is a drop-in replacement with already made sealed housings. That's why it costs more. This isn't a bulk made product produced cheaply in an overseas factory.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transsam
Man, you just ooze class. Top notch sponsor. We really get the best sponsors in the appearance section.
Brian is a good dude, I ordered a set from him to install on my bird and he bent over backwards for me. He is one of the rare few that really stands behind his product.

There is also another thread in which people are debating the merit of projectors, and arguing that the LMC kits are just fine.

Personally I'm tired of ratty cars and bubba trucks running them, and making it harder to see on dark roads (terrible glare). The BLS kit focuses the light and has a beam cutoff to prevent blinding oncoming traffic, it also greatly enhances the reach of the beam pattern. It feels like you an see for miles!

It's not cheap, but it is well worth it.

You certainly don't want to go with LMCs, ruin your light coverage, inconvenience other drivers, attract cops attention, and wind up looking like a ricer

Quick Reply: LMC housings are not proper for HID???