Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

No Appreciation For Hard Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry No Appreciation For Hard Work

I just wanted to vent a little in front of a group that may be able to relate.

Do any of you get frustrated by people who have absolutely no appreciation for the efforts you put into your car? Some of you may have seen my thread where I showed the transformation I have made on my car over the last two years. It's not perfect, but I am pretty proud of how it turned out after driving it around for nearly two years looking like a piece of crap. But today I drove the car to work and go to lunch with the other guys in my dept. Several of them ride with me. On the way to the restaurant the guy next to me is complimenting me on how nice the car looks. He just started to work here a couple of weeks ago so this is the first time he has seen it. I explained to him I have been restoring it over the last couple of years. When we come out of the restaurant, the same guy side opens the door and just lets it fly open and it hits the jeep next to us!! He mutters something and grabs the door after its too late. I resist the temptation kick him in the nuts, and get in the car and head back to work. The top is down and when we get back to work, he gets out and slams the crap out of the door. You all know that with these doors that have no frame around the window, if the window is down, all it takes is a gentle push to close the door. This guy rattles the window slamming it so hard. Neither of the other two guys notices anything unusual and never even stopped their conversation. I wanted to get the guy in a headlock and start slamming the door on his head!!!

Am I just being ****, or do you guys ever get frustrated because people don't think anything about the effort you put into your cars? Personally I can't imagine being that callous. I always pay attention to other's vehicles and make sure I am careful with them when it is evident that the person is careful with the vehicle. Am I alone here?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, I examined the door after I got back to work. There is a very small chip in the clear coat on the edge of the door. It is something no one will ever notice, and I can dab a little clear on it and never notice it myself. But it could have been much worse, and still pisses me off either way.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, that would **** me off. I can't stand complacency. Did you say anything?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I didn't say anything. I decided to wait until I saw if there was any damage before doing anything. No real harm done, so I didn't pursue it any further. But that's the last time I let anyone other than my wife or another "car person" ride in it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Launching!

I know the feeling all too well. I tend to tell everyone that rides with me to be aware of how heavy and long the door is and most people are understanding of that. I usually just bring it up very quickly and casually before we get to the car.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think its important that to a lot of people, cars are just a mode of transportation, they don't see them as an extension of themselves like anyone who is into the hobby would. The majority of people have no idea the effort and knowledge that goes into wrenching on your own car and the time it takes to make things look just right yourself and not paying someone else to do the work for you.

With all that said, it bugs the hell out of me when people are careless etc. around my car. Sure its not the mona lisa, but its mine and I'm proud of it. I don't blame you for wanting to vent but at the end of the day most people just don't understand.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

the number one thing i HATE is when people slam my doors i yell at them. or when they grab the glass and push it shut theres no need for that my doors only need a push by the pinky to close them. i know what your saying man i would be pissed
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

well you know not to have that TOOL in your car ever again. time to do seat delete mod LOL nope can't ride with me no SEATS lol
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Launching!

I feel the same exact way. People think I'm ****, but it is a labor of love and most people don't understand.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to CALMLY say to him..."I noticed you closed the door a bit too hard than needed, I wonder if the next time you could try to close it in a more gentle manner, or I will have to bash you head in a with a tire iron and eat your children. Thank You, have a good, blessed day".
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
You need to CALMLY say to him..."I noticed you closed the door a bit too hard than needed, I wonder if the next time you could try to close it in a more gentle manner, or I will have to bash you head in a with a tire iron and eat your children. Thank You, have a good, blessed day".
"Eat your children." In other words, go full-out Mike Tyson on him!! I love it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya know what I do.. in any car I drive I park in the back of the lot far away from other cars.

for 3 reasons.

1. I don' want my doors dinged
2. I get really mad when someone takes my parking space (for some reason..)
3. free exercise!

I do this even when people are riding with me. If a store is really crowded sometimes I pass it up for another one. People often complain.

You did a great job on this car. I understand especially after having it painted that you want to protect your paint. My car needs a paint job as well, I'm sure I'll be very protective of it as well.

Oh and my doors DO need slamming with the windows down. bad door hinges on both sides..
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I normally try to park well away from others, but in this case I didn't have much choice. Plus the parking was the angled spaces along the street side and were pretty wide. I was worried about someone next to me opening their door into my car, and it was safe from that since most vehicles don't have doors as long as the fbody. But I never considered that one of the guys with me would be the one to do the damage using my door.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

The first time my friend rode in mine I was parked on the side of the road (neighborhood) so the car was leaning towards the drivers side...he's on the phone btw, gets in and slams the **** out of the door I cussed his *** out!! The whole damn car shook back and forth, and my springs aint exactly the softest! But I had to cut him some slack cuz he drives a 89 truck he ain't used to easy closing doors. I hate letting people ride in my car, every time somebody opens that door I tell them don't slam it that pisses me off..

When my girl pushed the window to close the door....oh how I tried not to cuss her out lol...it's just common sense u don't see a window frame...push the freakin door!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
That.....Is.....F'n funny.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the exact reason my passenger side window is loose. I can't stand people slamming the door all the time, It looks big and heavy but they are fairly light, and made of fiberglass, yet everyone feels the need to kick it open and throw it shut!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

lesson 1 dont let morons ride with u !

I always take the back seats out so only one person can ride and thats in the passenger seat ! long story behind that !
Kind of like ur story !

they had muddy shoes didnt bother to kick them off just jumped in my damn car and had the floor boards a mess ! so i thought (SELF) we gotta fix that problem !
So i removed the back seats lol
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats why Im always in the car by myself...or if not its gotta be a girl with me whos too hot for me to care about the car...either way...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Well, the car looks great. Don't fester on it too much. +1 for passenger seat delete
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dubga
Yeah, I normally try to park well away from others, but in this case I didn't have much choice. Plus the parking was the angled spaces along the street side and were pretty wide. I was worried about someone next to me opening their door into my car, and it was safe from that since most vehicles don't have doors as long as the fbody. But I never considered that one of the guys with me would be the one to do the damage using my door.
That's because that guy has no respect for you or other people . I would never let him ride with you ever again.

Quick Reply: No Appreciation For Hard Work