Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What is it you dont like about your 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
I agree with what everyone else said, a lot of my pet peeves have been stated, I'll try to find some new ones!

1. You always have to press the hatch release button a few times before it opens
2. After washing your car, when opening the hatch, water spills into the interior - and even when you think the car is dry, water still keeps sneaking out onto the rear bumper
3. It's hard to carry on a conversation in the car without raising your voice!
4. The engineers built the whole car, and then said "Oh ****, it still needs exhaust."
5. Squeaky center console lid
6. WS6 rims peel after a while
7. T-Top seals

And whoever said you can never feel
completely comfortable, I agree with you 100%!

I can't leave without bashing the 10 Bolt, I mean really GM?

Having said that I do love my car a lot And I could find many more things that I like rather than dislike.
1 and 4
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
In percentage rating, how much did your car improve from feeling like its gonna break apart as soon as you hit a pothole?

I'm ready to get some new shocks, struts and springs for my vert soon and curios to see what type of results I can expect.

well Its hard to give a rate in percentage , but I can say It no longer feels like the chassis is falling apart , and small road irregularities and such are coped really well , better than most modern yet cheap cars .. atleast thats my personal view ... The problem I still have is the mirrors and dashboard that kind of rattles , and I think having a convertible makes that worse , I hope the SFC's will fix that but I havent had the time to have them welded on..

Im sure you've read about the improvement in handling anyway , but definately expect in a better ride if you go with koni's .. however with lowering springs , im sure that it will be a different story in terms of ride quality ..
Overall , I dont bottom out anymore , and potholes are easily coped with , its the larger bumps/holes etc that ruin the "feel" of the car.. if you can , go with koni's , and an SFC since you have a vert , and if you do want to lower , strano springs since everyone says is has a good ride ..
Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

alright thanks for your reply.
Why did you choose welded sfcs vs bolt in?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Snaggle
What bothers me is why are the koni DA shocks so f**king expensive for our cars. And why dosen't Koni make something affordable?
Koni knows people will buy the shocks at that price.

I like how a lot of little things can be fixed/upgraded for cheap. Similar to the rear hatch spring mentioned above.

I love all the room in the engine compartment. It makes swapping plugs a breeze!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said previously, compared to new cars our 4th gens are in dire need of updating. Pretty much everything fitted to our cars besides the engine is awful, from the speakers, window motors, rear end, interior plastics, exhaust, suspension, just everything.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
alright thanks for your reply.
Why did you choose welded sfcs vs bolt in?
I've read in alot of places that welded sfc's would be more rigid , stiff compared to bolt in ones..
also some people talked about bolt shifting , overall I decided welded would be the way to go , no worries about bolts or anything ..
Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
As said previously, compared to new cars our 4th gens are in dire need of updating. Pretty much everything fitted to our cars besides the engine is awful, from the speakers, window motors, rear end, interior plastics, exhaust, suspension, just everything.

well duh!.....thats 10 years of technology/engineering for ya...go back 10 years and our cars are the "updated" cars you compare to.

Im just fine with my car compared to the price of cars "performance" today!

but i also do agree with alot of the quirks spoken about!!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

-The Y-pipe and how you can't get them to sound good no matter what set-up you run (besides true-duals)
-Turn signal stalk was the same as in my '94 pickup and think its going to snap off every time I use it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
well duh!.....thats 10 years of technology/engineering for ya...go back 10 years and our cars are the "updated" cars you compare to.

Im just fine with my car compared to the price of cars "performance" today!

but i also do agree with alot of the quirks spoken about!!
Our cars were built in the 90s but there were cars made 10+ years ago that had speakers that don't blow, window motors that don't suck, rear ends that don't break, interiors that don't crack, etc.

That being said I'm willing to put up with these issues to get the performance... I don't think there's a better bargain out there if you want a fast car that can be driven daily.

The reason why you can get an LS1 F-body for so cheap is they were cheap to begin with... if they had nice interiors, great suspension, dual exhaust, and better rear ends then they wouldn't be as affordable.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
Fix for #1
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ease_fix_2.htm

Fix for #5

I agree with most things being said in here though, the stock exhaust is pretty bad, especially the crushed y-pipe. And with the Firebirds, the door cracks are obnoxious.
Thanks for the hatch release fix!

I went and did it today, it worked wonders. I feel way better now. Thanks again!

I recommend everyone go out and do this. It's cheap and literally takes less than 5 min.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only time I have had issues with my hatch not popping up when on one click is when the weather is cold. But that fix looks like a good idea, gotta love the free/cheap improvements you can do.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Another 10 bolt hater here lol. I also hate the 98 steering wheel.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
I see all these complaints about our cars, and most of them hold true. However, these cars are more than just automobiles. For a lot of us they have become a piece of us. Taking up as much time as our friends and family. We go through hardships and wonderful happiness in our f-bodies.

I personally have formed a pseudo-relationship with my T/A. Sure it has things I don't like about it, but so does your best friend, your brother, your girlfriend, etc. However at the end of the day when you look back and you've had a fun outing with one of these people you realize you don't see how you could ever live without them.

If your car was perfect all the time, how useless would this site be? Why would we need to gather? We wouldn't have anything to talk about.

"Hey man, my car was great all year, no problems at all"
"Mine too"
"Cool"
And then you part ways after spending 20 bucks at BWW.

Sure these cars have things that aren't perfect, but if they weren't there we wouldn't have anything to talk about or do during the winter. We'd go from car guys to guys that have cars.

amen brother, although it may not be perfect i still love my car and honestly the things i dislike about it dont even hold a ounce of weight compared to the things i love about it
and honestly most of the things in this tread are easy upgrades and well thats part of car culture upgrading and modifying, and if thats not your cup a tea then you should have bought something else
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
Another 10 bolt hater here lol. I also hate the 98 steering wheel.
Kinda funny, I liked my 98's wheel for some reason. Liked it better than the newer wheels anyway.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn you guys are freaking picky lol.. Maybe its me or maybe bc i don't DD my car none of this really bothers me.. Well, besides the slow windows and fvcking lame a$$ 10 bolt
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
I see all these complaints about our cars, and most of them hold true. However, these cars are more than just automobiles. For a lot of us they have become a piece of us. Taking up as much time as our friends and family. We go through hardships and wonderful happiness in our f-bodies.

I personally have formed a pseudo-relationship with my T/A. Sure it has things I don't like about it, but so does your best friend, your brother, your girlfriend, etc. However at the end of the day when you look back and you've had a fun outing with one of these people you realize you don't see how you could ever live without them.

If your car was perfect all the time, how useless would this site be? Why would we need to gather? We wouldn't have anything to talk about.

"Hey man, my car was great all year, no problems at all"
"Mine too"
"Cool"
And then you part ways after spending 20 bucks at BWW.

Sure these cars have things that aren't perfect, but if they weren't there we wouldn't have anything to talk about or do during the winter. We'd go from car guys to guys that have cars.
exactly right man!!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't like the fact that im still stuck in the 10's, I ran a 10.5 om motor, hooked up a 75 nitrous shot thinking it would go 9.9...instead i was slapped in the face with a 10.2..
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Leaking pinion seal and the rear hatch making noise. Other small things but right now those are the things that are bugging me.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Interior lighting is a joke. The light that's used for the cabin is also for the hatch area.
GM made the 4th gen bigger than it's predecessor, but yet the interior is so freakin' cramped!
WTF was GM thinking when they put those thin rimmed steering wheels in these cars?!?!
Not a big fan of the bench style rear seat back. It should've stayed split like in the 3 gens.
These are supposed to be performance cars, but yet they came with tiny-*** brakes... particularly the LT1 cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
I don't like how slow our windows roll down and to top it off how easy the window motors are to break. I absolutely love my car but there are some design flaws in the 4th gens
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=220

and

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=221

Fixes await you

Quick Reply: What is it you dont like about your 4th Gen?