Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Best car wax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best car wax?

I'm looking for a GOOD/BEST car wax, not polish/quick touch up.

I'm not a expert in the car wax biz, so i need some input on whats the best out there?

I wash weekly every friday after work, and drive a red SS, and looking for a car show shine and something that protects like a **** since i don't have a car port

I hear that the carnauba wax is the way to go, but theres so many different brands .. i been wanting to buy some mothers, but ima wait till i hear some good feedback from ls1tech

ANY help or input will be appreciated
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are looking for a is a good sealant. They tend to outlast the carnauba and offer superior protection. You can top sealants off with carnauba to get the glossy/wet but it must be re-applied like every 3 or 4 washes and maybe sooner since your car will remain outside.

I would say on here most guys will list products such as Zaino, Meguiars, Mothers, and Adams.
I personally are a fan of Duragloss. It is a less expensive option but is compared to Zaino all the time and has been apart of the detailing world for a good while.

There are many threads on this topic.

Here are a few pics after using Duragloss
They have a sealant as well as a last stage product.

Last edited by pir7tr; 05-31-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

dammmm thats beautiful

Think i should invest ina buffer? or with the duragloss should i jus good ol' elbow grease?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zano/adams....cheaper stuff meguiars gold beats the hell out of everything else... I tried them all and ill stick with meguiars ...mothers left the car the opposite of smooth ...only thing ill buy that mothers does well is wheel products
Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
dammmm thats beautiful

Think i should invest ina buffer? or with the duragloss should i jus good ol' elbow grease?
If you are into removing swirl marks/fine scratches/marring elbow grease will not do the job.

A rotary is the best tool.
A random orbital can also do the job but not as good as the rotary. The RO is a little easier to use.

I use the rotary to correct and then the RO to apply sealants and last stage products (LSP).

I strongly suggest doing some research on the detailing topic. There are so many combinations of things you can try to achieve the desired look with your cars paint. From the machines you use, to the pads you correct with and the pads you apply LSP with, to the soap used to wash the car, the micro fibers you use or even the dryer you use (ex. metro vac). I mean this is really a HUGE can of worms.

Just like this site dedicated to ls1-lsx enthusiast there are great detailing sites to join and start learning from. I suggest registering to them, you might pick up something that myself or guys here cant explain or forgot to explain.

PM me if you would like and I will share with you a site that I often refer to.

Good luck!

Last edited by pir7tr; 05-31-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I'm in the same boat, I know NOTHING about wax and have to admit I never used wax in my entire f-body career and really want to start using wax when I get my next carwash.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
I'm in the same boat, I know NOTHING about wax and have to admit I never used wax in my entire f-body career and really want to start using wax when I get my next carwash.
ouch

Originally Posted by pir7tr
If you are into removing swirl marks/fine scratches/marring elbow grease will not do the job.

A rotary is the best tool.
A random orbital can also do the job but not as good as the rotary. The RO is a little easier to use.

I use the rotary to correct and then the RO to apply sealants and last stage products (LSP).

I strongly suggest doing some research on the detailing topic. There are so many combinations of things you can try to achieve the desired look with your cars paint. From the machines you use, to the pads you correct with and the pads you apply LSP with, to the soap used to wash the car, the micro fibers you use or even the dryer you use (ex. metro vac). I mean this is really a HUGE can of worms.

Just like this site dedicated to ls1-lsx enthusiast there are great detailing sites to join and start learning from. I suggest registering to them, you might pick up something that myself or guys here cant explain or forgot to explain.

PM me if you would like and I will share with you a site that I often refer to.

Good luck!
Will do
I don't have any swirl marks, or any paint blemishes or scratches. I baby my car to death, and i just wanna keep it clean and showroom condition.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Look into collonite 845! It has some definite durability, expect 5 months or so of protection and water beading. Just pop it into google. Lots of people use it for dd cars or cars without garages that they want too look great. No it isnt THE best looking compared to other more expensive caranuba waxes(still looks great though). But those dont last too long.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
The car gods look down upon you with anger! Lol wax that bitch after its done its better then ****
Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chemical Guys Celeste Dettaglio paste wax $174 for just 8-oz.

Edit: or Chemical Guys E-zyme Natura wax $274 for just 8-oz.

Last edited by bj350hp; 05-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bj350hp
Chemical Guys Celeste Dettaglio paste wax $174 for just 8-oz.

Edit: or Chemical Guys E-zyme Natura wax $274 for just 8-oz.
wow, what else does it do?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Lmao according to the chemical guys website it also improves gas mileage from being more aerodynamic with their waxes.
Gave me a good laugh.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Captain Double Post

^lmfao
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

If you want a finish like the camaro in those pics your gonna need a good couple stages of polishing before you wax. If you want to just wax try a cleaner wax like meguiars cleaner wax. it will give you a better than just wax finish but nothing like those pics. their is alot of time in that finish!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cajun Shine. You will never look back.

http://www.cajunshineall.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Teching In

interesting i've never tried sealants but think i may look into this.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

With proper prep work, most waxes/sealants are going to look great. The subtle difference between them all are fairly minor once you've done the true surface correction.

Carnauba waxes generally use more oils and therefore will "deepen" the paint a bit more but last a much shorter time.

Sealants will typically give a "brighter" finish and last for a longer time.

For the money, my personal preference is S100/P21s carnauba and Zaino Z5 Pro sealant. Other noteworthy options are Pinnacle Souveran and Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection.

Prep, prep, prep.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

blk fire wet diamond sealant or mother reflections FTW! if you're looking for a insane wet look. just look through my pics and you'll see.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks awesome! Great work and great car!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
wow, what else does it do?
Im guessing your car is red from your avatar? I just used some Wolfgang sealant and Nattys red paste on my car after a 8 hr paint correction. That combo works pretty damn good and it wont break the bank. My car literally looks wet.

Quick Reply: Best car wax?