Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the pic below if you can tell how bad the swirls are just by the shine on the back fender, what would be your process to make this paint catch eyes again. Please feel free to get as detailed as possible. Thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrad
What a great thread hopefully other pro detailers will help out with the questions +1 on sticky.

Maybe you could make a video of how to properly polish and wax a car for the people new to detailing.

I have a question too. When using touch up paint, usually too much is applied to a spot. Can you wet-sand it with a fine grit to blend it better?
Yes you can, but when you polish it out, typically the touchup paint will go with it as its not very durable. Just be careful and apply it slowly and with a toothpic instead of the paintbrush cap they give you.

I don't really have time to make a video. Junkman from Adams has a great series of vids on youtube that fit the bill though. Whether you like Adams or not, the techniques demonstrated are the important part and he does a good job of showing and explaining them.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
Based on the pic below if you can tell how bad the swirls are just by the shine on the back fender, what would be your process to make this paint catch eyes again. Please feel free to get as detailed as possible. Thank you

Unfortunately, even though it is in direct sun, the picture isnt high-res enough to really see the swirls.

But a good starting point would be the PCXP and Lake Country orange pad with either Menzerna SIP or Meguiars 205. Both are good starting points. You may find you need to go more aggressive after, but its best to start with the least aggressive method first.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will sticky it if you really want, but I have to say this, sticky's are NEVER read. It will go totally unnoticed. Your better off just keeping it a normal thread. Honestly.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I will sticky it if you really want, but I have to say this, sticky's are NEVER read. It will go totally unnoticed. Your better off just keeping it a normal thread. Honestly.
LOL, you've got a point....

I guess myself or others would have to just keep bumping it to the top then?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the dulled windshield trim and such, I know people have had good results using a heat gun on dulled black trim such as on an Avalanche. It might be worth trying on some window trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s
Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

paint correction after wetsanding would be nice to read up on (got a black silverado that could use it)
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
paint correction after wetsanding would be nice to read up on (got a black silverado that could use it)
That is a massive topic. For that I could write several pages! My suggestion would be to do a search on Autopia and you'll find a wealth of info there on that subject. I'd write it up, but its just too broad of a topic.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

after I peeled off my side moldings it left these discoloration lines on my door:

How can I get them off? I've used my DA with Meguiars 80/83 with lots and lots of passes with no luck, was going to try ultimate compound next
Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
after I peeled off my side moldings it left these discoloration lines on my door:

How can I get them off? I've used my DA with Meguiars 80/83 with lots and lots of passes with no luck, was going to try ultimate compound next
83/80 aren't very good, I'd give 105 a try. What pad are you using?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been reading up on the process and had a question after you apply the compound. I'm a big time newbie so I applied the Meg 105. But my question comes when I go to wipe it off, it seems the product turns very ( I'm trying to describe like a dusty powdery substance ) <- its like specs get everywhere and I try to wipe it all up with the microfiber towel but its still there and its like it gets everywhere. Is this normal or am I drying the product out to much with to many passes or the wrong speed? It just surprised me. Also I was just testing out the product and was outside so could it just have been the sun drying out the product too soon?

Also if you maybe post just your steps you take like on the first post that would be helpful to newbies like me. I have read it before but its kind of just like a mental rep process seeing it over again.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charlay
I have been reading up on the process and had a question after you apply the compound. I'm a big time newbie so I applied the Meg 105. But my question comes when I go to wipe it off, it seems the product turns very ( I'm trying to describe like a dusty powdery substance ) <- its like specs get everywhere and I try to wipe it all up with the microfiber towel but its still there and its like it gets everywhere. Is this normal or am I drying the product out to much with to many passes or the wrong speed? It just surprised me. Also I was just testing out the product and was outside so could it just have been the sun drying out the product too soon?

Also if you maybe post just your steps you take like on the first post that would be helpful to newbies like me. I have read it before but its kind of just like a mental rep process seeing it over again.
Are you using a tool to help aid in the correction process or by hand?

If you're doing it with a PC or Rotary (which I hope not since you're a noob, no offense) you may be over using the product causing the pad to saturate and gum up. Try using 2-4 drops of product for a given section (2x2 area) and work that section until the panel is finished to your desire. My technique is a little different depending on what I'm doing. There are times I will prime my pad with the product and other times I will simply mist distilled water on the pad and use 2-4 drops of product and work it that way. This way doesn't dust NEAR as much if any rather than having a primed pad. The main factor for that though is over working the product causing it to dry out or using too much and guming up the pad which results in the dust and less than desired buffing traits. When you're wiping up the panel. I usually mist the MF with Quick Detailer to soften it up and help remove any final remnants.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Charlay

Sounds like either you are working it too long or the heat from the sun, or BOTH. NEVER compound in direct sunlight! Always in a garage away from the heat and wind.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another question, what hose attachment do you use to spray a soapy water mixture on the car? Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
LOL, you've got a point....

I guess myself or others would have to just keep bumping it to the top then?
Yeah basically. I fit gets to a point where it's not gaining posts, we can sticky it then.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
Another question, what hose attachment do you use to spray a soapy water mixture on the car? Thanks
Foamaster II foam gun
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Yeah basically. I fit gets to a point where it's not gaining posts, we can sticky it then.
Ok cool
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has these bad water spot looking blotches in various spots all over the rear hatch, T-Top windows and the edges around the windshield. I don't know if it's tree sap, acid rain, or what, but I've tried everything on them, Goo-Gone, tried different waxes, a razor, etc., etc., nothing has worked. Ever dealt with anything like this before? If so, what did you use to get them out?

I can take a pic so you can see if I'm not stuck in the house tomorrow due to bad weather.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

How to clean the barrels of wheels that have never been cleaned in their entire lifetime! Nothing seems to work.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
My car has these bad water spot looking blotches in various spots all over the rear hatch, T-Top windows and the edges around the windshield. I don't know if it's tree sap, acid rain, or what, but I've tried everything on them, Goo-Gone, tried different waxes, a razor, etc., etc., nothing has worked. Ever dealt with anything like this before? If so, what did you use to get them out?

I can take a pic so you can see if I'm not stuck in the house tomorrow due to bad weather.
pics? have you tried vinegar?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer