Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What would you suggest using to remove swirl marks on my 2002 Pewter colored WS6? The swirl marks can really only be seen in direct sunlight and only on the spoiler and certain parts of the hood and sail pannel. I need something I can use by hand; I do not own a dual action or porter cable. I appreciate your help.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dabest09
Jeff, when using m101 and m105 for compounding are you always on speed 6 on the PCXP? I noticed the jump from 5 to 6 is like twice as fast. The polisher seems like it wants to take off on me and I can't keep the pad from spinning really quickly. Is this normal?

Also, what speed do you prefer with the pc polishing with m205? I've been using 4.5-5 with decent results.
you dont need to use the PC on speed 6. You can use the polisher at 4-5 and get better results than using it on 6 with 105, D300 or 101. I use the speed 2-3 when using 205. try it out & paitence is the key so dont try to over work the product by using a higher speed. Hope that helps.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
What would you suggest using to remove swirl marks on my 2002 Pewter colored WS6? The swirl marks can really only be seen in direct sunlight and only on the spoiler and certain parts of the hood and sail pannel. I need something I can use by hand; I do not own a dual action or porter cable. I appreciate your help.
If they are on those parts they are everywhere. You can try some Meguiars over the counter polish but doing it by hand will take a long time, wear you out, and fill more defects than it removes.

Polishing by hand is a waste of time. Better to invest in the proper tools and do it right.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Phoenix, don't be afraid of the PC!

Its an amazing tool at a great price!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 PM

which detail products work best that DO NOT contain silicone? i am a neat freak and constantly keep my car clean, however with my family owning a body shop it limits me on what i can use. Ive been told do not use any products with silicone because it makes there paint fish eye when sprayed on to one of their customers cars.. so what do you recommend?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6']['9
you dont need to use the PC on speed 6. You can use the polisher at 4-5 and get better results than using it on 6 with 105, D300 or 101. I use the speed 2-3 when using 205. try it out & paitence is the key so dont try to over work the product by using a higher speed. Hope that helps.
I've gotten awesome results on speed 5 for compounding, but have heard of others using speed 6, which I think isn't necessary. Speed 2 seems kind of pointless for 205 to me though. I like 4 for polishing.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Same here. I normally use speed 5 on the PC to correct w/ MF and foam. Speed 6 seems to be a little much. On speed 5 using quite a bit of pressure with the MF pads you can get even the worst defects out. With foam I don't use as much pressure because the heat generated seems to make it dust. MF pads even with 105 dusts much less especially when you use a little D300.

Depending on how hard the clear is will depend on if I use speed 4 or 5 with 205. Also it depends on if you are trying to use the 205 to get defects out or reduce the amount of micro marring left behind from the compounding stage. 205 will work for a long time but if you work it too long it can leave some hazing. My guess is the pad dries out some and the foam leaves the hazing.

If using a lower speed with 205 or any pad/compound really make sure you keep the polisher at the same angle as the panel you are working on. The PC just doesn't have the power at lower speeds. Keeping the polisher at the same angle keeps the pressure on the pad even instead of just one side which will slow the rotation down which prevents correction.
Just my .02

The only thing I have ever used on speed 3 is to apply sealant or wax.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
I THINK it is bare metal, but I am not sure. They are a machined polished lip if that tells you anything, Forgestar F05s.
Did you have an answer for this? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is there a spot on the wheel you can rub aluminum polish on? If it turns black its polished, if it doesn't its coated.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dabest09
I've gotten awesome results on speed 5 for compounding, but have heard of others using speed 6, which I think isn't necessary. Speed 2 seems kind of pointless for 205 to me though. I like 4 for polishing.

well I use a Griots polisher and at speed 2 its perfecct.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Is there a spot on the wheel you can rub aluminum polish on? If it turns black its polished, if it doesn't its coated.
If I rub it on and it turns black can I wipe it off? Because if not then no, the insides are black so there isn't a place I can really test that on without seeing it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I rub it on and it turns black can I wipe it off? Because if not then no, the insides are black so there isn't a place I can really test that on without seeing it.

Yes you can rub it off. If it turns black then its polished/bare aluminum. The black is the oxidation from the heat and the polish.

If you rub it and it doesn't turn black they are coated.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I will get some and try that.

On a side note, I caved on some stuff....

http://www.adamspolishes.com/showpro...ith-free-bonus + an extra bottle of detail spray and the VRT Tire and Trim Kit. ~$366 with free shipping and a 5% off code. Was a good price for the package and I've been putting it off for a while but my paint is only getting worse.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I will get some and try that.

On a side note, I caved on some stuff....

http://www.adamspolishes.com/showpro...ith-free-bonus + an extra bottle of detail spray and the VRT Tire and Trim Kit. ~$366 with free shipping and a 5% off code. Was a good price for the package and I've been putting it off for a while but my paint is only getting worse.
You shouldn't buy that kit you can save much more money on AG
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I'm not sure if you (BD1987) were intending to come off the way you did, but perhaps choosing your words better would be been a more courteous way to address things.
Sorry just now remembered this thread.

I actually was not even speaking of you, more so I said that because alot of people have alot of opinions on various forums I visit.

Just like painting a car, ask 25 different people how they would do it you will get 25 different responses.

Sorry again, I wasnt speaking directly towards you or I would have typed your name. I thoroughly enjoy this thread and I visit to extend my current knowledge of detailing. Just a simple misunderstanding
Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
You shouldn't buy that kit you can save much more money on AG
It isn't really about money. I know Adam's products work and having a set that is color coded and easy to follow is ideal in my eyes. They are good products and while more expensive than others, produce results that I've seen and am happy with.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

It isn't really about money. I know Adam's products work and having a set that is color coded and easy to follow is ideal in my eyes. They are good products and while more expensive than others, produce results that I've seen and am happy with.
The adams products are decent, but the Meguiars and Menzerna kits are both FAR superior and cheaper too. I don't get the need for color coordination in products....its really simple to read directions. And the color coordination locks you in and keeps you from wanting to experiment with different combinations. It ties your hands really.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Better off buying a Griots Garage DA or HD Polisher they blow the PC out of the water. Meguiar MF Pads good compound and foam polish/pads combo then your choice of Sealant or wax. I'd have to do the math but I bet its cheaper for sure
Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
The adams products are decent, but the Meguiars and Menzerna kits are both FAR superior and cheaper too. I don't get the need for color coordination in products....its really simple to read directions. And the color coordination locks you in and keeps you from wanting to experiment with different combinations. It ties your hands really.
I don't exactly read and know what I'm doing half the time, so color coordination helps that. That said...I cancelled the order...not because of what was said in this thread, because apparently I got ordered a kit off of Autogeek for Christmas. We'll see which one it turns out to be...

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Better off buying a Griots Garage DA or HD Polisher they blow the PC out of the water. Meguiar MF Pads good compound and foam polish/pads combo then your choice of Sealant or wax. I'd have to do the math but I bet its cheaper for sure
I do not want anything stronger than the PC. I do not even want to be able to get close to messing up my paint.

Also, cleaned my car again today, and something that always bugs me is how the front looks: even after I clean it, it looks dusty as hell. I always thought it was because I wasn't scrubbing good, but it seems to be "stuck" up there/in the paint. Will buffing take that out?

Last edited by Guitar; 12-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Both of those are DA's like the PC so you cant hurt your paint with those, they just have more TQ to help remove defects a PC will either take alot longer to do or just can't.

Did you get a clay bar by chance? Your gonna need one of those, I'd suggest a Nanoskin Towel, Mitt, or the Autoscrub Pad they are easier and faster plus if you drop them they arent garbage you just rinse it and can still use it

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer