Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I attach emblem on my billet grille?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I attach emblem on my billet grille?

I just got a '67 SS front grille emblem for my new Carriage Works billet grille. The problem is that the two mounting pins that stick off the back of the emblem just barely stick past the back of the billet grille, about .080 inches. These pins are tapered and the self threading nuts that were included with the emblem are too large of a diameter to fit between the grille bars. How is everyone else attaching theirs?
Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

not that i have done this, but im pretty sure ive seen a thread like this before and people have just used two-sided tape
Old 03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

I used double sided tape... at first. Didnt hold too well. I guess there wasnt enough surface area to hold it. Then I ended up ghettoing it and using a black zip tie, worked perfectly and you cant see it unless you get right up on it. On the other hand I have a Z28 so I doubt that would help you for an SS emblem.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

The reason for this is because of the emblem it's not the correct one to use on the grille the only one that fit's correctly is the 69 Chevelle bowtie. But no problem just go to the auto parts store and pick up some 3M bdouble sided tape that will fix the problem.

Sean
Old 03-30-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

A two-part metal epoxy from a local hardware store has been holding mine on for 3 years!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

We used jb weld quick dry epoxy. I also tapped the studs to fit a small nut because the quick nuts that are provided took up to much stud before they got tight,

Last edited by 1STGEN68-2000SS; 03-31-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much for the all the suggestions!!!
I like the epoxy and tapping of the studs idea. My friend is a manufacturing engineer and he said he will help me fabricate something today. I will post our results here when we are done. Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Smile

The emblem is now attached. I got some external threaded brass rod that was a larger diameter than the emblem studs.Then I drilled out the center of the brass threaded rod to provide a slight force fit over the studs. After that I cut the drilled out brass pieces to a length that would allow for a washer and a nut. Then with the brass pieces over the emblem studs, I drilled a small hole thru the side of each and pushed a small wire thru to act like a cotter pin and bent both ends aroung the threaded pieces. Then put the emblem where I wanted it in the center of the grille and secured it in place with a couple of large washers and some nuts with loctite. Done.

Quick Reply: How do I attach emblem on my billet grille?