Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Camaro Cluster in Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Cluster in Trans Am?

So I hate the look of the TA cluster and want to install a Camaro version. I am worried though that some of the idiot lights are located in different areas but am confident the speedo, tach and other gauges should work. Anybody done this? I would be installing the cluster in a 2002 TA. Also worried that GM changed idiot light locations from 99 thru 2002 so maybe some years would work while others not.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Should work fine, most people go the other way though, and there is a sponser that does custom gauges
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I attached a picture of the idiot light locations. Could someone verify this matches their Camaro and what year it's on.

I think the Camaro styling is far superior with the has marks and there's no yellow visible. I also like the red pins on the Camaro.
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Cluster in Trans Am?-ta-cluster.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have both cars, clusters are basically the same minus color
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by baalic
I have both cars, clusters are basically the same minus color
I have a cluster out of a 2000 V6 Camaro and it is physically the same but the idiot light locations are not the same.... close but not the same.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
I have a cluster out of a 2000 V6 Camaro and it is physically the same but the idiot light locations are not the same.... close but not the same.
Look the same still to me, I've had 3 fbods from 02, 2 were ls1's 1 is a v6

2 Camaro's 1 ws6
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

V6 and V8 clusters are slightly different in a couple spots so I wouldn't compare the cluster in your Trans Am with a V6 Camaro cluster.

All the LS1 based clusters are the same 99-02. 98 might be a tad different. I know the 98 V6 and the 99+ V6 clusters have a few differences.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it recently cause I didnt want red, at least untill i get a 6le over lay. plugged in no problems. ONLY ISSUE is that the trip reset button hits the plastic bezel the smallest amount.

before (terrible pic)

after

my idiot lights all moved, but that doesnt matter, they just light up in a different spot.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ta has the better cluster,really the ta has better int all the way around,i think you would be better off doing leds and white face. Gauges or something,or just do a custom cluster all together if ya really wanna swap it out
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Launching!

The only thing I like better about the TA cluster is the bezel which also fits the Camaro cluster.

If the lights are in a different location on the cluster, doesn't that mean the pin out is different so the air bag light will come on when you unbuckle your seat belt?... for example.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No they're pinned the same. All my lights work correctly.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to bring this back to verify that it does work. I have a Camaro cluster in my T/A, only thing is i had to have the mileage changed cause it is stored in the cluster and not the cars computer. I like the Camaro one better, the T/A one was to bland and the red backlit drove me crazy. i have LED's in my Camaro cluster, i also have a Camaro steering wheel.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, when I put all my SS drivetrain into the T/A body, I threw in my gauges as well so the mileage stays with the engine/tranny. Really hated the dark red tint on the T/A gauges. Pulled the bezel from the T/A gauges and put them on the Camaro gauges as well since it's a nice little detail.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Default 2002 Camaro, 1999 trans am gagues

I am doing an LS1 swap into my 2002 Camaro from a 1999 trans am. Moving ECM, BCM, and engine wires. Am wanting to change the gauge cluster, but not sure if it will work. Anybody know?
Thx,
Brent.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I know this is old, but since it's back up....

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
The ta has the better cluster,really the ta has better int all the way around
After having owned and spent many years inside of each, I disagree on both counts. Trans Am leather is terrible (especially the shrinking top of the rear seats) and there is no cloth option in the LS1 years, the door panels crack, the switches/*****/buttons are a less desirable color and the steering wheel rim/grip is too thin. Aesthetically I like them both, but overall I definitely prefer the Camaro interior without question.

The only thing better about the Pontiac cluster is this....

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
The only thing I like better about the TA cluster is the bezel which also fits the Camaro cluster.
.....and it can be added to Camaro, as stated, which then gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I like both Camaros and T/A's, I've had numerous ls1 & lt1 f bodies. And hands down, if both interiors are mint, I'll take the T/A interior every time.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:48 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Trans Am leather is terrible (especially the shrinking top of the rear seats) and there is no cloth option in the LS1 years
You can get a Formula like I did (I think the Formula looks better anyway). The Formula comes with cloth standard. Leather is an option.

Also, to my knowledge, the quality of leather (and cloth) in the Camaro and Firebird are the same.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
You can get a Formula like I did (I think the Formula looks better anyway). The Formula comes with cloth standard. Leather is an option.

I definitely agree here, Formula is the better looking Pontiac and this gives you the option for a much more durable cloth interior. We are in the minority on this, as most people tend to prefer Trans Am. Formulas are hard to find these days though, especially nice ones. Wish I could have bought a WS6 Formula back in '00 rather than a Trans Am, but I waited too long to place the order.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Also, to my knowledge, the quality of leather (and cloth) in the Camaro and Firebird are the same.
The cloth is great either way, it holds up much better to daily use than either Camaro or Firebird leather. But the specific issue with Firebird/TA leather that really bothers me is the shrinking portion of the rear seat tops. The center section (not leather) stays at the original height, but the leather surfaces on either side dry up/shrink. This isn't as much of a problem with the Camaro leather for some reason.

On my '00 Trans Am, I put a ton of conditioner on it from the time it was new, and it was always garage stored, but after just 4 years of driving it on sunny days I was already seeing the beginnings of this problem.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
I did it recently cause I didnt want red, at least untill i get a 6le over lay. plugged in no problems. ONLY ISSUE is that the trip reset button hits the plastic bezel the smallest amount.

before (terrible pic)

after

my idiot lights all moved, but that doesnt matter, they just light up in a different spot.
Looks good!

Quick Reply: Camaro Cluster in Trans Am?