Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom Halos and Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Halos and Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

This six month project is just about done...

The testing phase and prototype. The position of the halos were changed slightly.

Yes the passenger side headlight is slightly fogged up. I have an idea where it is leaking. And this picture was with the red and white leds on.

Details:
Morimoto mini H1 projectors w/ 4300k HIDs.
Custom halos can be red or white. Red does not show up well on camera. Switches are placed in ashtray.
Started as depo headights, flat back treatment
The halos are powered from the radio accessory power from the car. (If the radio is on the halos can be.)

I only ran into one problem. When test driving the solenoid did not want to go back down after trying out the high beams. Tried restarting the car and that did not work. I just ended up unplugging them and they reset back down. Did not have this problem in the garage when cycling the solenoid? Any thoughts/reasons behind this? My guess was the temperature as it was about 2*F

Would like to thank Conrad and his custom halo thread as well as the lighting FAQ for all the help!

Thanks,
Cptobviouss

Last edited by cptobviouss; 01-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tabs that hold the rod which the shield pivots on can catch the shield and cause them to stick. I would verify unplugging the solenoid connector does NOT always fix the problem. If it does, you have something else going on. Is it happening on both or just one? Car on engine off and car on engine running make a difference? What did you do for the high beam mod?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Teching In

What confused me is that the solenoid always worked fine in the garage and pre install.

What is causing the problem is the fogs. If i turn on the high's when the fogs are on(the fogs then turn off and back on once the high beams are "turned off"). the high beam stays up no matter how many times i cycle try to turn the highs on and off. (before the install and what is actually supposed to happen: highs are on fogs are off and vice versa). Not until i turn the fogs off do the high beams go down.

Basically the fogs cycle on and off just like before with the activation of the high beams. It is just that now the high beams stay on and the fogs will sti cycle when the high beam switch is cycled. Once the fogs are turned off. the solenoid returns to the low beam position.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like its back feeding. You probably need a diode somewhere in there. Not fully knowing how its wired, I can't tell you where.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man everything's looking very nice! I'm getting out of my camaro and into a C5Z so I sold my halo headlights.

For that high beam issue, did you use a diode for each side that I sent? The wiring is a little tricky and I don't remember how the diode gets wired in, but theretrofitsource can send you a diagram of it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Thank you.

I only used a diode on the passenger side headlight. I suppose i may want to do the drivers side as well. I have just been running with the fogs off lately(Drivers side fog went out as well) and the high beams work fine.

What all have you done to make the halos brighter? Once it gets warmer out i will probably re-do the halo section to get them to be brighter.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cptobviouss

Even with a fogged headlight, that looks absolutely EVIL! I love it!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

^^^ agreed!! Looks like a Conrad Protege! I enjoyed reading up on Conrad's custom install and glad to see the same success and hard work come out of yet another fellow f-body enthusiast! Great job man and keep up the good work! I love reading and seeing these threads about custom halos! (I cheated and today just bought my first pair of projector headlights from BLS with custom red ccfl halo's) I can't wait to put em on!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Conrad definitely helped me and was the inspiration to do something like this.

When it starts to get warmer i may end up redoing the halo part to get more light output especially the red. Going to try some different leds, and reflective tape where the leds mount. Hopefully i dont have to take the lenses off.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptobviouss
Thank you.

I only used a diode on the passenger side headlight. I suppose i may want to do the drivers side as well. I have just been running with the fogs off lately(Drivers side fog went out as well) and the high beams work fine.

What all have you done to make the halos brighter? Once it gets warmer out i will probably re-do the halo section to get them to be brighter.
Sorry for a late response, I don't get on here too much anymore.

I scuffed up the back of the halo ring with sandpaper to make them brighter. The cuts in the back of it didn't work as well and I couldn't get them to look even when I did that. Just did some tedious taping of the halo and scuffed the back of them.

Do some testing before they're sealed up- you may not be able to see all of the halo at certain angles, which will require some more scuffing, you'll see what I mean if you do this.

Also, I don't think I used 2 diodes. Maybe flip the diode the other way if they aren't working correctly.

Quick Reply: Custom Halos and Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit