Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what led bulbs do you need for the fog light and asr switches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation what led bulbs do you need for the fog light and asr switches?

so i decided to do full led interior.i got all the right bulbs for everything except for fog light and asr switches.any body know what type of led i need to get these switches working?whats the parts # for these bulbs.also i will be using blue color so i want to know what type of resister i need and how to solder them.i order everything from superbrightleds.com.
i did do alot of research but cant get the right info.dont want to order the wrong stuff again.please help me
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to need 2 3mm component leds per switch, resistor size depends on which color leds you pick. The resistors you can just get at radio shack. Here's the right up I followed.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
Going to need 2 3mm component leds per switch, resistor size depends on which color leds you pick. The resistors you can just get at radio shack. Here's the right up I followed.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56
will this bulb work?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-mcd/305/1237/
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes that will work. i know you want blue but maybe use a different color as the indicator for when the switch is on or off. i have cool blue that shows what the switch is and then red indicators. ill get some pics tomorrow for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Launching!

yes that will work. i know you want blue but maybe use a different color as the indicator for when the switch is on or off. i have cool blue that shows what the switch is and then red indicators. ill get some pics tomorrow for you.
alright thanks man.actually that not bad idea.i might do that.also i want to light up the footwell area.i seen people using led strips.but which one's do i need.does superbrightled carry them?

Last edited by 98camarols1; 02-11-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's one from my DD. The reason I picked red was so it matched the red for the heater controls and the red sections on the gauge cluster but you can use whatever color you want. I know my gauges look blue in the pic but in real life its not as blue and more of a cool white as I have cool white leds and not blue leds, I think with the blue leds its to dark and the red is washed out. Since switches don't have a blue film behind them like the gauges, I used blue window tint and white leds so it matched the gauges perfect.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't soldered mine in yet, but I looked online and found a site with 12V component LED's - no resistors needed.

Going to do white for the icons, and I am considering doing green for TCS and blue for the foglight switch.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check and see what the operating voltage is, don't forget while the car is running its going to be more then 12v. When ever I do single leds like this in a car I shoot for a voltage of 13.7 when figuring out what size resistor to use.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Launching!

just placed order today.and stealth thanks for all your help.and your led looks very nice.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are basically two ways to take care of your interior. The easy way, and the harder way. The harder way consists of buying your own LEDs and appropriate resistors, soldering them together, and then soldering them into the bulb holders. The easy way is using LED bulbs. They are LEDs with a built in resistor that has a bottom shaped like a bulb, so it plugs directly into the socket. Led bulbs work great in fog.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^
Where are those EASY bulbs located? Website?

I tried this on mine and the ASR one worked fine. When i connected the TCS one I kept blowing my interior fuse. I even went up on the fuses and they still kept popping. I used 470 Ohms, 1W resistors. The ASR is still shining bright. I lost interest and never tried to finish this up. Should I go down or up on the Ohms? Or just try to resoldier it. What Ohms did everybody use?

Last edited by DaRReLL; 02-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hoge
There are basically two ways to take care of your interior. The easy way, and the harder way. The harder way consists of buying your own LEDs and appropriate resistors, soldering them together, and then soldering them into the bulb holders. The easy way is using LED bulbs. They are LEDs with a built in resistor that has a bottom shaped like a bulb, so it plugs directly into the socket. Led bulbs work great in fog.
I guess you've never taken apart the asr/fog light switch before, there's nothing plug and play with the bulbs.

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
^^^^
Where are those EASY bulbs located? Website?

I tried this on mine and the ASR one worked fine. When i connected the TCS one I kept blowing my interior fuse. I even went up on the fuses and they still kept popping. I used 470 Ohms, 1W resistors. The ASR is still shining bright. I lost interest and never tried to finish this up. Should I go down or up on the Ohms? Or just try to resoldier it. What Ohms did everybody use?
Does the switch still function properly? I had a hard time getting the little brass plate in there to line up and stay in place while putting the switch back together. I ended up having to put a little grease on the plate so it would slide properly. I'm going to guess this is what your problem is. You can see the piece im talking about in the pic.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All that went in great. It actually works, but after a day or two it blows my interior lights. I look down in the dark and see nothing, it pops the interior fuse. If I was to plug it in now, it would work. It would blow the fuse in a couple of days. I have the stocker in its place now. Did you use the same Ohms for all yours?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes same resistor for each because both leds are white. The one just has blue film over it. That's weird that it doesn't pop right away. Do both leds light up? And when you rock the switch to turn it on/off it returns back and doesnt stay to whichever side you push it to? If it was a resistor problem on the led it would just blow the led, unless you have something touching inside.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might just pull it all off and resolder with new components.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Launching!

hey stealth need your help again.lol.
i got some led strips for the floowell.how would to recommend hooking them up?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want them to work like the courtesy lights do and with the dimmer switched turned on then below is what wires you need. Just have to locate the wires coming down the driver side a-pillar from the rear view mirror.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ew-mirror.html

read post #7
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Launching!

If you want them to work like the courtesy lights do and with the dimmer switched turned on then below is what wires you need. Just have to locate the wires coming down the driver side a-pillar from the rear view mirror.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ew-mirror.html

read post #7
appreciate it bro.ill get it done this weekend

Last edited by 98camarols1; 02-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Launching!

got another problems guys.my HAVC,and cluster lights are not working.they were working fine till i installed led strips.i tapped them into the mirror/map wire..they work perfect.but after i installed them the HAVC AND CLUSTER light went out.also tail lights went out replaced the fuse on those they're working.i checked all the fuses the DIMMER(5a) fuse was blow replaced tried again and saw smoke from the dimmer switch.replace those 3 times already.it did the same thing 3 times.blows a fuse and burns up the dimmer switch.i checked all my wire for short or loose wire,couldn't find anything wrong.somebody please help me out.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Launching!

anybody?

Quick Reply: what led bulbs do you need for the fog light and asr switches?